- Cúla 4
Cúla 4 Launched 1996 (block)
Owned by Teilifís na Gaeilge Picture format 4:3, 576i (SDTV) Country Ireland Formerly called Cúlabúla (1996-1999) Sister channel(s) TG4 Website Cúla 4 Website Availability Terrestrial Irish analogue programming block on TG4 (see that article) Irish digital Mux 1 Satellite Sky Ireland TG4 Channel 104 UPC Ireland 602 & TG4 Channel 104 Magnet Networks TG4 Channel 104
Cúla 4 (Irish: Cúla Ceathair) is branded children's block on Irish language public broadcaster TG4. The strand was first established in 1996 as Cúlabúla; with the rebrand of TnaG to TG4 in 1999 Cúlabúla was renamed as "Cúla 4".
The majority of programming is a mixture of homegrown programs and international programs which are either dubbed or subtitled in the Irish language. Cúla 4 work with a number of international broadcasters to produce Irish versions of hit TV series which are seen on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and PBS. They also work with homegrown animation companies to produce localized animation series. Cúla 4 offers something unique in an already saturated kids television market in Ireland with the existence of RTÉjr/TRTÉ, Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network and the Disney Channel. Cúla 4's programming is either in the Irish language or bilingual in Irish and English unlike its competition where the majority of their programmes are entirely in the English language.
Cúla 4 strands
- CÚLA4 na n-ÓG: airing between 07:00 - 10:00 is a programming block targeting pre-school children it airs series such as Elmo's World, Tar ag Spraoi Sesame, Dora the Explorer (in Irish, teaching Spanish), Ni Hao Kai Lan, Franny's Feet, Dive Ollie Dive and The Mr. Men Show. All programmes are in the Irish language.
- CÚLA4: airs between 14:00-16:50 is a programming block targeting 6 to 10 year olds. Programmes include Ben 10, Johnny Test, SpongeBob SquarePants, Back at the Barnyard, Eliot Kid, The Mighty B!, Skunk Fu, and Fanboy and Chum Chum.
- PONC: airs between 16:50 and 19:00 targeting 12 to 18 year olds. It hosts a number of live action drama series such as Aifric (which is also shown in Scotland on BBC Alba), and international shows such as H20, Life with Derek, 8 Simple Rules, Pimp My Ride, My Sweet 16, The Hills, The City, Gossip Girl, South Park, One Tree Hill. It also shows a number of extreme sports shows such as Planet X and Groms Tour. This programming block is hosted by Máire Treasa Ní Dhubhghaill and Colmán Mac Séalaigh.
Other Cúla 4 programmes
- Go Diego Go (Rith Diego Rith) (in Irish, teaching Spanish)
- Ni Hao, Kai-Lan (in Irish, teaching Chinese)
- Lizzie McGuire
- Doodlebops Rockin' Road Show
- Fanboy and Chum Chum
- Firehouse Tales
- Jay Jay The Jet Plane
- The Batman
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Codename: Kids Next Door
- Edgar and Ellen
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
- Pet Alien
- SpongeBob SquarePants
ReferencesTG4 · Cúla 4 · Téacs TG4
Active Radio Defunct
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.