- Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory
Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory Established Address Kanchanbagh,
Hyderabad- 500 058
Location Hyderabad, AP Operating Agency DRDODRDO Laboratories Aeronautics Armaments Combat vehicles
Life sciences Materials R&D MissilesDRDL · ISSA · ITR · RCI · Naval R&D Micro electronics and devices[MED] OthersDIAT · ITM ·
Defence Metallurgical Research Laboratory (DMRL) is a laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). Located in Defence Research Complex, Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, it is responsible for the development and manufacture of complex metals and materials required for modern warfare and weapon systems.
DMRL was set up in 1963 at Hyderabad. Since then, it has developed competence in the areas of "powder metallurgy based fabrication and development of alloys, armor and rocket motor steel, aerospace light alloys, and magnetic materials." The formation of other entities such as the Mishra Dhatu Nigam Ltd., Heavy Alloy Penetrator Plant, Composites Production Centre, Non-Ferrous Technology Development Centre, and the Advanced Research Centre International have followed the establishment of DMRL. The DMRL is also involved in R&D efforts to develop "futuristic materials" to provide "advanced technology options."
Projects and Products
DMRL has developed:
- Ultra-High-strength steel with the toughness combination equivalent to maraging steel; this steel has been used to build rocket motor casings for the Akash surface-to-air missiles.
- Heavy alloy "pre-fragments" for Prithvi missile warheads developed for use against "aerial targets."
- "OFE copper" for the Nag anti-tank guided missile sheets.
- "Special magnetic materials" such as "samarium-cobalt ring magnets" and "neodymium-iron-boron magnets" in collaboration with the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre for applications in the space program.
- Kanchan armour for use on the Arjun tank as well as other armoured vehicles like Sarath and Abhay
- Defence Research Complex, Kanchanbagh, Hyderabad, GlobalSecurity.org report about DMRL.
- DMRL Profile on NTI.org , Nuclear Threat Initiative Home page.
- "NTPC, DMRL to develop gas turbine blades" (htm). The Hindu. 21 May 2005. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2005/05/22/stories/2005052201760200.htm. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- "DMRL transfers technologies to Trade" (htm). DRDO Newsletter. September 2000. http://www.drdo.org/pub/nl/sept2000/dmrl_transfers.htm. Retrieved 2007-11-05. [dead link]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.