- Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory
name = Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory
established = January 1968
director = Dr. Satish Kumar
address = Sector-30,
website = [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/index.shtml TBRL Home Page]
footnotes = DRDO Laboratories
Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL) is a laboratory of the
Defence Research & Development Organization(DRDO). Located in Chandigarh, the laboratory has become one of the major DRDO labs in the field of armament studies. TBRL is organized under the Armaments Directorate of DRDO. The present director of TBRL is Dr. Satish Kumar. [ [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/profile.shtml TBRL Director's Profile] ]
TBRL was envisaged in 1961 as a modern armament research laboratory under the Department of Defence Research & Development. It became fully operational in 1967 and was formally inaugurated in January 1968 by the then Defence Minister. [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/history.shtml History of TBRL] ]
While the main laboratory is situated in Chandigarh, the firing range, spread over an area of 5000 acre, is located at
Ramgarhin Haryana, 22 km away from Chandigarh.
Areas of work
TBRL conducts basic and applied research in the fields of
high explosives, detonics and shock waves. It is also involved in evolving data and design parameters for new armaments, as well as assessing the terminal effects of ammunition.
Other Areas of work Include: [ [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/areas.shtml TBRL Areas of Work] ]
:* Performance of armour defeating projectiles and immunity profiles:* Studies of ground shock, blast damage, fragmentation and lethality:* Preparation of safety templates for various weapons:* Studies of underwater detonics and pressure wave propagation:* Explosive forming, cladding and welding.:* Detonation dynamics of high explosives.
Projects and Products
TBRL is responsible for the development of
Explosive lenses for India's Nuclear weapons. These lenses were used on the Nuclear devices detonated in Pokhran-I and Pokhran-II. [ [http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/India/IndiaSmiling.html Nuclear Weapons Archive, "India's Nuclear Weapons Program, Smiling Buddha-1974"] ] Apart from this, TBRL also develops explosives-based products for conventional military and civilian use. [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/achieve.shtml TBRL Achievements] ]
* Baffle Range for Small Arms - TBRL has designed a baffle range for
Small armsfiring. This has reduced the area required as compared to conventional range. Consultancy for construction of such ranges is being provided to various units of Army/Para-military forces. [cite news | title = Baffle range to prevent stray injuries | url = http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Cities/Baffle_range_to_prevent_stray_injuries/articleshow/2536804.cms | publisher = Times of India| date = 13 November 2007| accessdate = 2007-11-16
"The Bangalore range will be constructed by the Terminal Ballistic Research Laboratory, Chandigarh, a unit of the DRDO. The range will facilitate six firing positions and layers of wood-embedded walls will prevent bullets from going astray. Protecting walls will be built at every 20 feet of the firing range for a distance of 300 metres." ]
* Indigenous Plastic Bonded Explosive - Developed and established technology for Plastic Bonded Explosives (PBX), the latest class of HE compositions with high VOD and higher detonation pressures
* Indigenous Digital Blast Data Recorder - This recorder was developed based on a new design technique, for direct measurement of important blast wave parameters
* Indigenous Transducer for Blast-Measurement - Developed a blast pressure transducer for measuring pressures up to 14 kgm sqcm. It has a sensitivity of 1400 pc/kgm sqcm with a natural frequency of 200 kHz. These transducers are in regular production and being used by a no. of Laboratories. Impulse Generator : It has been developed for the simulation of impulse noise (=190 dB) and testing of artificial earplugs used by Armed Forces Medical Services
* Impulse Generator- It has been developed for the simulation of impulse noise (=190 dB) and testing of artificial earplugs used by Armed Forces Medical Services
* Bund Blasting Device (BBD) - Bund Blasting Device (BBD)Designed and developed Bund Blasting Device for breaching operation.
* General Purpose Anti-personnel Grenade - Multi-mode hand grenade designed and developed with reliability >95%.
Riot controlNon-lethal Bullet - TBRL has designed and developed a non-lethal ammunition in two service calibres, a 7.62 mm and .303 inch for effective control of unruly rioting mobs.
* IGLOO Magazine - A new construction technique of laced reinforced concrete construction in which continuous bent shear lacing along with longitudinal reinforcements on both faces of structure element are used for improving the ductility and energy absorbing capacity of the structure has been developed for a capacity of 5 Ton explosives. This design is being used by a no. of DRDO labs, Ordnance factories, DGQA and service depots.
* Bullet Proof Panels/Jackets testing - TBRL offers its expertise and specialised facilities for ballistic evaluation of bullet proof panels/helmets against various small arms ammunitions. [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/tech.shtml TBRL Technologies available to the civilian sector] ]
Technologies for Civilian use
* [http://www.drdo.org/labs/arma/tbrl/index.shtml TBRL Home Page]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.