- Corona (beer)
La Cerveza Más Fina
Manufacturer Grupo Modelo Introduced 1925 in Mexico City, Mexico Alcohol by volume 4.6%  Style Light beer
Corona Extra, better known as Corona and labeled as Coronita in Spain, is a brand of pale lager owned and produced by Cerveceria Modelo at a number of breweries in Mexico. It is one of the best-selling beers in Mexico and is one of the top-selling beers worldwide. Corona beer is available in over 170 countries.
In the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and the United Kingdom, Corona is commonly served with a wedge of citrus fruit, usually lime or sometimes lemon, inserted into the neck of the bottle, adding tartness and flavor.
According to Sinebrychoff, a Finnish company owned by the Carlsberg Group, Corona Extra contains water, barley malt, rice and/or corn, hops, yeast, antioxidants (ascorbic acid E300), and propylene glycol alginate E405 to act as a stabiliser.
Corona beer is available in a variety of bottled presentations, ranging from the 190 ml (6.4 U.S. fl oz; 6.7 imp fl oz) ampolleta (labeled Coronita and just referred as the cuartito) up to the 940 ml (31.8 U.S. fl oz; 33.1 imp fl oz) Corona Familiar (known as the familiar, Litro or Mega). A draught version also exists, as does canned Corona in some markets.
An explanation for the origin of the distinctive 'crown' logo from which Corona takes its name since 1925, says it was based on the crown that adorns the Cathedral of Our Lady of Guadalupe in the town of Puerto Vallarta. This cannot be, as the tower that supports the crown was only erected in 1952, the crown itself being installed at the top in 1963.
In Spain, the beer is branded as "Coronita" (literally, little crown), as renowned wine maker, Bodegas Torres owns the trademark for "Coronas" since 1907. The packaging is otherwise unchanged. In the United Kingdom and the United States, smaller, 210ml (7 fl. oz) bottles of the beer are also branded as "Coronita".
In addition, Corona is a "second sponsor/s" for four of Mexicos top-flight professional soccer teams of the First Division. The teams sponsored by Corona are América, Toluca, Atlas, and Santos Laguna. Corona also sponsors Major League Soccer's Chivas USA. 
Corona has been seen advertised on London's famous black cabs.
- ^ http://www.coronaextra.ca/FAQ/FAQextra.shtml
- ^ http://www.coronaextra.eu/es.html
- ^ Best Beers - LoveToKnow Best
- ^ Corona.com
- ^ "Heineken to take over Mexican beer brands in U.S.". USA Today. 2004-06-21. http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/2004-06-21-heineken-mexico_x.htm. Retrieved 2008-07-17. "Modelo's Corona brand has been the top-selling import beer in the United States for years and is the seventh-best selling brand there overall."
- ^ Luhnow, David; Kesmodel, David (2008-07-17). "Pressure Is on Mexican Brewers". The Wall Street Journal. p. B2. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121625581010860405.html?mod=googlenews_wsj. Retrieved 2008-07-17.
- ^ Corona Extra - Sinebrychoff Website
- ^ Our Lady of Guadalupe - VirtualVallarta.com, 12 février 2007
- ^ Our History: timeline - Torres
- ^ http://www.cdchivasusa.com/news/2011/01/chivas-usa-and-corona-extra-announce-major-sponsorhip-agreement
- ^ http://www.taximedia.com/index.php/taxi_advertising_gallery/photos/?page=1
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.