- Dark-faced Ground-tyrant
Dark-faced Ground-tyrant near Lago Escondido, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Passeriformes Family: Tyrannidae Genus: Muscisaxicola Species: M. maclovianus Binomial name Muscisaxicola maclovianus
The Dark-faced Ground-tyrant (Muscisaxicola maclovianus) is a small passerine bird belonging to the tyrant flycatcher family. It is a ground-dwelling bird of southern South America which feeds on small invertebrates such as flies and moths.
It is 16 cm long with the male being slightly larger than the female. Like other ground-tyrants, it has long legs and an upright posture. The plumage is mainly dark grey-brown above and pale greyish below with a dark brown crown and a blackish face. The rump and tail are black with white outer tail-feathers. The legs and bill are black. Birds on the Falkland Islands (M. m. maclovianus) are larger and greyer than those in mainland South America (M. m. mentalis).
The song is a weak twittering which may be uttered on the ground or in flight.
Habitat and range
The species breeds in southern parts of Chile and Argentina and on the Falkland Islands. It inhabits open areas from sea-level up to 1500 m in the Andes. In the austral winter some birds migrate north as far as Uruguay, northern Argentina and Peru. At this season it moves down to lowland areas and may visit farmland, gardens and beaches.
The nest is placed among rocks and is made of grass and root fibres with a lining of wool or feathers. The two or three eggs are white with red-brown spots. Two broods are probably raised during the breeding season.
- Jaramillo, Alvaro; Burke, Peter & Beadle, David (2003) Field Guide to the Birds of Chile, Christopher Helm, London
- Woods, Robin W. (1988) Guide to Birds of the Falkland Islands, Anthony Nelson, Oswestry
- "Dark-faced Ground-Tyrant" videos on the Internet Bird Collection
- Photograph of a Dark-faced Ground-tyrant
- Stamps (for Falkland Islands) with RangeMap
- "Dark-faced Ground-Tyrant" photo gallery VIREO
- IUCN Red List least concern species
- Birds of Patagonia
- Birds of Argentina
- Birds of Chile
- Birds of the Falkland Islands
- Birds of Peru
- Birds of Uruguay
- Birds of Tierra del Fuego
- South American migratory birds
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.