- Pink Fairy Armadillo
Pink fairy armadillo Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia purol Order: Cingulata Family: Dasypodidae Subfamily: Euphractinae Genus: Chlamyphorus
Species: C. truncatus Binomial name Chlamyphorus truncatus
Pink fairy armadillo range
The pink fairy armadillo (Chlamyphorus truncatus) or pichiciego is the smallest species of armadillo (mammals of the family Dasypodidae, mostly known for having a bony armor shell). It is found in central Argentina, where it inhabits dry grasslands and sandy plains with thorn bushes and cacti.
The pink fairy armadillo is approximately 90–115 mm (3.5-4.5 inches) long, excluding the tail, and is pale rose or pink in color. It has the ability to bury itself completely in a matter of seconds if frightened.
It is a nocturnal animal. It burrows small holes near ant colonies in dry soil, and feeds mainly on ants and ant larvae near its burrow. Occasionally, it feeds on worms, snails, insects and larvae, or various plant and root material.
The pink fairy armadillo spends much of its time under the ground, as it is a "sand swimmer" similar to the golden mole or the marsupial mole. It uses large front claws to agitate the sand, allowing it to almost swim through the ground like it is water. It is torpedo-shaped, and has a shielded head to prevent abrasion from the sand.
In 1996, the species was classed as endangered by the IUCN, then upgraded to "near threatened" in 2006, and in 2008 changed to "data deficient", despite concern over habitat destruction, particularly due to cattle farming.
- ^ Gardner, Alfred (16 November 2005). Wilson, Don E., and Reeder, DeeAnn M., eds. ed. Mammal Species of the World (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2 vols. (2142 pp.). pp. 96. ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494. http://www.bucknell.edu/msw3.
- ^ a b c d e f "Chlamyphorus truncatus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature. 2009. http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/4704. Retrieved 04 October 2011.
- Species profile from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Genus Chlamyphorus - Armadillo Online
- Chlamyphorus truncatus page of the Instituto Argentino de Investigaciones de las Zonas Áridas (Spanish)
Extant Cingulata (Armadillos) species by subfamily Dasypodinae EuphractinaeChlamyphorusPink Fairy Armadillo (C. truncatus) TolypeutinaeCategory
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.