- Obra, Bihar
Obra — town — Coordinates Coordinates: Country India State Bihar District(s) Auranagabd Population
• 3,024 /km2 (7,832 /sq mi)
Time zone IST (UTC+05:30) Area
4 km2 (2 sq mi)
• 99 metres (325 ft)
Obra is a small town just 15 km away from the District Headquarter on NH-98 (Garwa-Patna). Obra is also a headquarter of Obra block, under Daudnagar sub-division and a block of 144 villages having population of 220,000 (Census 2001). In Obra block there are 20 panchayats each averaging 6 villages. Block stretched in north, east and south and demarcated by Daudnagar, Rafiganj, Aurangabad blocks and in west it is Rohtas district. Obra is also an assembly seat (Obra and Daudnagar block) in the Bihar Legislative assembly.
Situated on the confluence of Punpun and Adri river, the rolling topography of the town is typical, spread on the plain of the Son river bed known for its very fertile land.
Obra is located in the eastern part of India at Patna. Obra is situated in plain of River son, so the land is very fertile by nature. It is not very far away from Ratan hillock of Magadh range and Chhotanagpur plate of Palamu(Jharkhand). Flow of river from three sides make its a beautiful picturesque to this place. its considered as world most fertile land for rice. Town is surrounded by very pleasant rivers Punpun from the western and northern part and By River Adri in surkhi village from eastern side. River Son is flown just 8 km. west from the town. Obra is situated 114 km. from the Capital city of Bihar,
As per census 2001, Population of Obra town is 12096. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Total number of Males population is 6,375 and Female constitutes 5,721. And the total number of households in town are 1691. Obra has an average literacy rate of 58%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 63% and, female literacy is 53%.
Economy of Obra is mainly depend on agriculture. A vast fertile land in the region support most of the Families economically. Obra is also famous as Rice bowl of Magadh region. So the trading of Food grains to all part of Bihar and Jharkhand makes Obra a big mandi(Market) where more than 50 traders are operating their businesses in single Gola Road. Obra is also well known for the production of Kaleen (carpets). The tradition of weaving beautiful and unique carpets in the town dates back to 15th century. Set up near Koriepur village, the Kaleen Udyog is currently managed by the state government. Kambal(blanket) industry in Obra is another industry supported by Government. A processing plant for raw blanket is established here for 50 years and the trade of these kambals is dated back to 100 of years. These sector is also organize hare employeed more than 1000 of people.
- Ganga Market- Main market for town as well as for near regions, situated in the centre of town and famous for all retail products, Cosmetic sproducts, Pots and utensils, restaurant, Decoration, vegetables, Entertainments etc.
- Main Road- This market is stretched over NH-98 and famous for Fertilizers, Cement, Concretes, Motals, Motor spare parts, Healthcare,Panjab naitional bank,state bank of india,sahaj vasudha kendra.
- Bel Road- This market is famous not only in District but in the whole state as rice and wheat market(Mandi). This is the trading zone for the region.
- "'OBRA CEMENT STORE'S -This is famous for building material since 1980.it is nearby post-office.
- Thana Road(Surkhi Road)-This market is also famous in patiya(Stone) and khhad(urwarak) market.it is near by Devi Mandir.
Places of interest
- Doomuhan- This Place famous for the confluence of Punpun river and Adri river. It is a beautiful scenic peace zone area surrounded by trees allaround. Very ancient temples of lord Shiva, Vishnu and Goddess are still here as attraction.
- Kali Mandir- A very spiritual place for the entire region. Nine incarnation of Goddess durga are situated here with temples of Lord Shiva and Hanuman. People have faith here for the fulfillment of their beliefs.it's known as kranti chowk.
- Sahid Jagapati Smarak- A commemorate for young freedom fighter for Indian Independence.
- 'Manora Village-'- Lord Buddha stayed here for consecutively 3 days.also famous for Hindu and Budh temples.
- "Ayodhaya Bigha Village is nearest Manora village .
- Surkhi village is nearest and Eastern side in Obra .
- jhanjhu--this place famous for drinking like tarkularist & bathing in adri river.
surya mandir road -A very spiritual place for the entire region. Nine incarnation of Chhat puja are situated here with temples of Lord.
There is no facilities for college education in Obra, so students of this region depends for college education to District Town Auranagabad. But there are few good school are here-
- Boys High School
- Girls High School
- Middle School
- Sahid Jagatpati School
- Lord Buddha Gyan Bharti School
- Anandmath Deenbandhu Residential school Behind Boys high schhol
And some 4 or 5 small schools are here to cater the education.
A widespread playground is here just beside Deenbandhu Residential school on the beautiful edge of PUNPUN river which is main centre for aerobic physical activity. Many young who are aspiring to join army can be seen sweating relentlessly early in the morning.Then starts the game time which includes conventional and especially FOOTBALL match in rainy muddy season.Dedication to win there needs some ignition with financial and motivational support.This is hub as walking area for middle-upper aged seniors. But sad part is that we can rarely see any lady in this ground as many eyes consider it negative.
Particularly in Obra, Health facility are very good in comparative to other blocks in Aurangabad District. Government hospital in Obra is very well managed. It is located near to Bel more on NH-98. The hospital has emergency wards and facility of night treatment is also catered over here. Apart from the government hospital some of very renowned Physicians(Doctors) of the District are serving the local population. Few of These are -
- Dr. Shankar Bose
- Dr. Arvind Kumar Sharma
- Dr. Ramadhar Singh
- Dr. Bhagwat Singh
- Dr. Upendra Singh
- Dr. Jawahar prasad singh(vet)
More than 20 medical hall are serving the need of locals here. Some of them are-
- Janta Medical hall (The very few Medical hall from the begining till date )
- Ganesh Medical Hall
- Hansa Medical Hall
- Awantika Medical Hall
- Ujjwal Medical Hall
- Sona Medical Hall
- Bihar medical Hall
Obra town lies on NH-98 and just 14 km from NH-2(Grand Trunk Road), So the connectivity of town with all major cities in state as well as all part of district is very good. Obra lies in between District town Aurangabad and Subdivision town Daudnagar with equi distance of 15 km each on NH so both town are connected by many buses, auto and trekers. Long distance such as Ranchi, Jamshedpur, Bokaro, Dhanbad, Daltonganj and other part of Jharkhand are directly connected with daily buses and for Patna(114 km) more than dozens of buses plying apart from many Tata Sumo and Tata Wingers.
Obra is well connected by Indian Railways through entire nation. Just 4 km from the town New Delhi-Howrah main Grand Chord line passes. Nearby station of Obra town is Anugrah Narayan Road station is just 5 km from the town so there are more 50 train including express and passenger trains passes daily. Near about dozen of trains for National Capital Delhi and the same number of trains are available for Kolkata are commuting daily. A.N.Road Station is just 69 km from Gaya and 135 km from Varanasi. Most of the express trains are halting here except Rajdhani exp. So it is well connected with all part of the state as well nation.
There is no direct connectivity with air services but nearest International airport is Bodhgaya (70 km) and Domestic is Patna (114 km).
There are few lodges over here but not in good condition for staying so it is better to stay in Aurangabad (15 km).
Cities and towns in Magadh Division Arwal district Aurangabad district Gaya district Jehanabad district Nawada district See alsoMagadh division topics Cities and towns
in other Divisions
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.