"Do-Wah-Doo" Single by Kate Nash from the album My Best Friend Is You Released 12 April 2010 Format 7" vinyl, CD single, digital download Genre Indie pop, indie rock Length 2:35 Label Fiction Writer(s) Kate Nash Producer Bernard Butler Kate Nash singles chronology "Merry Happy"
"Kiss That Grrrl"
Alternative coverThe vinyl cover Music video "Do-Wah-Doo" on YouTube
"Do-Wah-Doo" is a song by English indie pop singer-songwriter Kate Nash, featured on her 2010 second album My Best Friend Is You. Written by Nash and produced by Bernard Butler, it was released as the lead single from the album on 12 April 2010, one week before the release of the album. "Do-Wah-Doo" was a moderate commercial success, reaching number 15 on the UK Singles Chart – a position exceeded only by her hit song "Foundations" in 2007.
“ The song's about one of my best friends from when I was younger. He totally betrayed me by hanging out with these enemies of mine - these perfect girls, who wore lip-gloss and talked about boys and were really annoying. He and I had grown up climbing trees, playing in the woods, and going on holiday together, so I thought he'd be cooler than that. But when he turned 15 years old he wanted a girlfriend. I was like, 'Well fine, I'll just pretend I don't give a shit even though I'll never ever forgive you, even when I'm 22 years old and writing a song about it.' ”
Nick Levine of Digital Spy Blog gave the song a positive review stating:
Three years later and she hasn't started singing like Kiri Te Kanawa, while her lyrics continue to dance a line between "admirably direct" and "downright bleedin' obvious". Still, there's no denying that 'Do Wah Doo' ushers in a subtle shift in direction for Nash without sacrificing the pop smarts that propped up Bricks. Produced by Bernard Butler, it's a girl-groupy pop nugget featuring lashings of surf guitar, some nice brassy bursts and a brain-invading "bum-bum-de-bum" hook. Will it win her any new fans? To be honest, it'll probably come down to how you feel about a girl-groupy pop nugget that rhymes "lady" and "shady"... wrapped up with the line: "Well, I think she's a bitch..
“ I shot the video for Do Wah Doo last week on Thursday and it was so so much fun! The best fun I ever had on a video shoot. It stars a lot of my wonderful friends who are pretty much amazing. I wrote the treatment almost a year ago, it’s a love story set on a plane in the late 50’s, for some reason the idea has always been in my head. ”
All songs written and composed by Kate Nash.
7" vinyl (2736397) No. Title Length 1. "Do-Wah-Doo" 2:35 2. "Grrrilla Munch" 3:12 3. "R n B Side" 2:16Total length: 8:03 CD single (2737819) No. Title Length 1. "Do-Wah-Doo" 2:35 2. "Do-Wah-Doo" (performed by Ryan Jarman) 3:08Total length: 5:43 Digital download No. Title Length 1. "Do-Wah-Doo" 2:35 2. "Do-Wah-Doo" ("Clocktower Remix" by Nick Zinner) 3:06 3. "Do-Wah-Doo" (music video) 2:41Total length: 8:22
- Kate Nash – vocals on all tracks; percussion on "Do-Wah-Doo" and "R n B Side"; piano and keyboards on "Do-Wah-Doo"; synthesizers, recording, production, engineering and mixing on "RnB Side"; art direction
- Bernard Butler – bass, production, engineering and mixing on "Do-Wah-Doo" and "Grrrilla Munch"; acoustic guitar, organ and bongos on "Do-Wah-Doo"; synthesizers on "Grrrilla Munch"
- Elliott Andrews – drums on "Do-Wah-Doo" and "Grrrilla Munch"
- Brett Alaimo – guitars on "Do-Wah-Doo"
- Production personnel
- Richard Woodcraft – engineering on "Do-Wah-Doo" and "Grrrilla Munch"
- Robbie Nelson – engineering on "Do-Wah-Doo" and "Grrrilla Munch"
- Adie Kaye – engineering assistance on "Do-Wah-Doo" and "Grrrilla Munch"
- Chris Potter – mastering
- Additional personnel
Chart (2010) Peak
Belgium (Ultratip Flanders) 17 Germany (Media Control AG) 36 UK Singles (The Official Charts Company) 15
- ^ "Do Wah Doo by Kate Nash". Songfacts. http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=18744. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- ^ "Kae Nash's first single". Spin. 7 February 2010. http://www.spin.com/articles/spincom-exclusive-kate-nashs-first-single. Retrieved 11 April 2010.
- ^ http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/singlesreviews/a210437/kate-nash-do-wah-doo.html
- ^ Knight, David (25 March 2010). "Kate Nash’s Do Wah Doo by Daniel Brereton". PromoNews. http://www.promonews.tv/2010/03/25/kate-nash%E2%80%99s-do-wah-doo-by-daniel-brereton/. Retrieved 14 April 2011. For some reason MTV credits producer Rachel Dargavel as director. Kate Nash - "Do Wah Doo". MTV. 24 March 2010. http://www.mtv.com/videos/kate-nash/496456/do-wah-doo.jhtml#artist=2446216. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- ^ "Kate Nash Announces New Tour And Makes Some Videos". Addict Music. 23 February 2010. http://www.addictmusic.co.uk/news/kate-nash-announces-new-tour-and-makes-some-videos/. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- ^ "Kate Nash - Do-Wah-Doo (7", Single)". Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/Kate-Nash-Do-Wah-Doo/release/2237369. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- ^ "Kate Nash - Do-Wah-Doo (CD, Single)". Discogs. http://www.discogs.com/Kate-Nash-Do-Wah-Doo/release/2249804. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Kate Nash – Do-Wah-Doo" (in Dutch). Ultratip. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart. The Official Charts Company.
Kate Nash Discography · Awards and nominations Studio albums Singles Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.