- Chief Secretary for Administration
Politics and government of Hong Kong
Chief Executive: Donald Tsang
Chief Secretary: Stephen Lam
Financial Secretary: John Tsang
Secretary for Justice: Wong Yan-lung
Convenor of unofficials: Ronald Arculli
Bureaus, depts, etc.
Political Appointments Accountability System
President: Jasper Tsang
Court of Final Appeal
Chief Justice: Geoffrey Ma
Other Hong Kong topics Culture - Economy
Education - Geography - History
Hong Kong Portal
The Chief Secretary for Administration (Chinese: 政務司司長), commonly known as Chief Secretary and abbreviated as CS, is the second highest position of the Hong Kong Government. The CS assists the Chief Executive (Governor before the transfer of sovereignty) in supervising the policy bureaux as directed by the CE and plays a key role in the government's policy formulation and implementation as a whole. This is particularly important in areas which cut across policy bureaux.
The Chief Secretary also covers specific priority areas of the Chief Executive's policy agenda, and is responsible for forging a closer and more effective working relationship with the Legislative Council and for drawing up the Government's legislative programme.
The Chief Secretary for Administration also exercises statutory functions vested in the position by law, such as those concerning the handling of appeals and certain public bodies.
Before the introduction of Principal Officials Accountability System (POAS) in 2002, it was a civil service position. As of 2005, the position has only been filled by former civil servants who retired from the civil service.
List of Secretaries
Colonial Secretaries between 1843 and 1976
- John Robert Morrison (1843–1844)
- Sir Frederick Bruce (1844–1846)
- William Caine (1846–1854)
- William Thomas Mercer (1854–1868)
- John Gardiner Austin (1868–1879)
- William Henry Marsh (1879–1887)
- Dr. Frederick Stewart (1887–1890)
- Francis Fleming (1890–1892)
- George Thomas Michael O'Brien (1892–1895)
- Sir James Haldane Stewart Lockhart (1895–1902)
- Sir Francis Henry May (1902–1910)
- W.D. Barnes (1911)
- Sir Claud Severn (1912–1925)
- Sir Wilfrid Thomas Southorn (1925–1936)
- Norman Lockhart Smith (1936–1941)
- Sir Franklin Charles Gimson (1941)
- David Mercer MacDougall (1945–1949)
- John Fearns Nicoll (1949–1952)
- Sir Robert Brown Black (1952–1955)
- Edgeworth Beresford David (1955–1958)
- Claude Bramall Burgess (1958–1963)
- Edmund Brinsley Teesdale (1963–1965)
- Dr. Michael David Irving Gass (1965–1970)
- Sir Hugh Selby Norman-Walker (1969–1973)
- Sir Denys Tudor Emil Roberts (1973–1976)
Chief Secretaries between 1976 and 1997
- Sir Denys Tudor Emil Roberts (1976–1978)
- Sir Jack Cater (1978–1981)
- Sir Charles Philip Haddon-Cave (1981–1985)
- Sir David Akers-Jones (1985–1987)
- Sir David Robert Ford (1987–1993)
- Anson Chan Fong On-sang (1993–1997)
Chief Secretaries for Administration after 1997
- Anson Chan Fong On-sang (1997–2001)
- Sir Donald Tsang Yam-kuen (2001–2005)
- Rafael Hui Si-yan (2005–2007)
- Henry Tang Ying-yen (2007-2011)
- Stephen Lam Sui-lung (2011-)
- Hong Kong Government
- Government departments and agencies in Hong Kong
- Secretary for Justice
- Financial Secretary (Hong Kong)
- Secretary for Education and Manpower
- Secretary for Health, Welfare and Food
- Lieutenant Governor of Hong Kong - second in command from 1843 to 1870s
- Choa, Gerald H. (2000). "Appendix II: Colonial Secretaries of Hong Kong, 1843–1912". The Life and Times of Sir Kai Ho Kai: A Prominent Figure in Nineteenth-Century Hong Kong (2nd ed.). Hong Kong: Chinese University Press. p. 274. ISBN 9789622018730. OCLC 44267286. http://books.google.com/books?id=nzWs6_BUBPoC&pg=PA274.
- ^ Chief Secretary's Office, Hong Kong Government
- ^ Another Disaster by Denys Roberts
- ^ London Gazette: . 9 February 1844. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- ^ London Gazette: . 26 February 1847. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- ^ London Gazette: . 1 December 1854. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- ^ London Gazette: . 18 February 1868. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
Principal officials of Hong Kong Secretaries of departmentsChief Secretary · Financial Secretary · Secretary for Justice Secretaries of bureaux Other principal officials Past secretaries of bureaux
(after 1997)Broadcasting, Culture and Sport · Commerce and Industry · Commerce, Industry and Technology · Constitutional Affairs · Economic Services · Economic Development and Labour · Education and Manpower · Environment and Food · Environment, Transport and Works · Health and Welfare · Health, Welfare and Food · Housing · Housing, Planning and Lands · Information Technology and Broadcasting · Planning, Environment and Lands · Planning and Lands · Trade and Industry · Transport · Treasury · Works
Chief Secretary for AdministrationChief Secretary for Administration: Stephen LamAdministration Wing • Efficiency Unit Office of the Chief Executive (Hong Kong)Director of the Chief Executive's Office: Gabriel Leung
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.