- Clinton (grape)
Clinton Grape (Vitis) Species Vitis riparia x labrusca Also called Clinto (more) Origin New York, USA Notable regions Austria, Italy
Clinton is a red variety of hybrid grape. Its phylloxera resistance led to its being planted in small amounts in the eastern Alps, although it imparts a pronounced foxiness and dark red colour to wine made from its juice.
Clinton is a spontaneous cross between the North American species Vitis riparia and Vitis labrusca. The first seedling was found in New York State by Hugh White in 1835. After phylloxera arrived in Europe, it was planted in northern Italy, Switzerland and Austria.
Distribution and Wines
It is grown in Brazil, France, and Italian Switzerland. In Austria it one of the hybrid grapes used in Uhudler wines. In France it is illegal to sell commercially. In Italy it is known as Clinto, and is sometimes confused with the vitis x labruscana variety Isabella, known as "Fragola" (strawberry) in Italy. Ubriaco al Fragola Clinto is a Veneto cheese rubbed with the must of Fragola and Clinton.
Vine and Viticulture
It is a vigorous and early-maturing variety with small, black berries. It is very resistant to phylloxera.
Bacchus, Clinton Rose, Plant Des Carmes, Plant Pouzin, Vorthington, Worthington, Zephirin, Clinto, Erdbeerer, Fragola.
- ^ a b c Robinson, Jancis (2006). The Oxford Companion to Wine, third edition. Oxford University Press. pp. p183. 978-0198609902.
- ^ a b c "Clinton im Wein-Plus Glossar". http://www.wein-plus.de/glossar/Clinton.htm. (German)
- ^ Walking southern France: Ceze
- ^ Maul, Erika; Töpfer, Reinhard; Eibach, Rudolf (2007). "Vitis International Variety Catalogue". Institute for Grapevine Breeding Geilweilerhof (IRZ), Siebeldingen, Germany. http://www.vivc.de. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- Robinson, Jancis (1992). Vines, Grapes and Wines: The Wine Drinker's Guide to Grape Varieties. Mitchell Beazley. ISBN 978-1857329995.
Hybrid grape varietiesAgawam • Alexander • Aurore • Baco Blanc • Baco noir • Beta • Cabernet Cortis • Cayuga White • Chambourcin • Chancellor • Chardonel • Chelois • Clinton • Corot noir • Couderc noir • De Chaunac • Flora • Frontenac • Goethe • Herbert • Jaeger 70 • Kay Gray • Kyoho • La Crosse • Léon Millot • Malverina • Marechal Foch • Marquette • Massasoit • Melody • Merzling • Noiret • Norton • Olmo grapes • Onaka • Orion • Phoenix • Plantet • Regent • Requa • Rogers' Hybrids • Rondo • Seibel grapes • Severny • Seyval Blanc • Solaris • St. Pepin • Thomcord • Traminette • Valvin muscat • Vidal Blanc • Vignoles • Villard NoirCategories:
- Grape varieties
- Hybrid grape varieties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.