- Mona (name)
Mona Pronunciation /ˈmoʊnə/ moh-nə Gender Female Origin Meaning various Other names Related names Monica, Ramona, Simona
As a given name, Mona can have the following meanings and origins;
Language Source Meaning Variant forms Gender Arabic Variant transcription of Muna (مُنى) Wishes Muna, Mouna Female Gaelic/Irish Anglicized form of Muadhnait Noble One Monah, Monna, Monya Female Greek Monos (μονος) Solitary, One Female Ancient Italian Contraction of the title Madonna My lady Female Miwok Gathered of the seed of a jimson weed. Male and Female Old English Moon Female Persian an adjective for the God,moona derives from Mana,means who lasts forevere Female Scottish Female form of Tormod, derived from Norman Northman, Viking  Female Sanskrit Alone,unique Female Teutonic Loner Female
In northern Europe, where the name is much more popular, Mona is interpreted as a diminutive of Monika or, rarely, of Ramona or Simona. It is sometimes associated with the title of da Vinci's painting Mona Lisa, although in that context the word Mona is actually a title rather than a name. The word mona also means cute, monkey and doll in Spanish. In Sweden, Mona's name day is May 4.
As a surname, Mona can have two origins. In Italian and Greek, it is a feminine form of Moni which is a short form of Simone, the Italian form of Simon. In arabic countries, it is derived from the given name Muna, meaning " unreachable wishes". It is the plural form of the word Munia (مـُـنيه).
Famous people with this name
- Mona Charen, political columnist
- Mona Ghoneim (born 1955), Egyptian composer
- Mona Grudt (born 1971), former Miss Universe from Norway
- Mona Hatoum (born 1952), British artist of Palestinian origin
- Mona Hofland (born 1929), Norwegian actress
- Mona Mahmudnizhad (born 1965), Iranian woman executed for membership of the Bahá'í Faith
- Mona Marshall (born 1947), American voice actress
- Mona Sahlin (born 1957), Swedish politician
- Mona Siddiqui (born 1963), British Muslim academic
- Mona Simpson (born 1957), American novelist
- Mona from the WarioWare series
- Mona, Ross Geller's girlfriend in the television series Friends, played by Bonnie Somerville
- Mona Mayfair, character in several novels by Anne Rice
- Mona McCluskey, central character in television sitcom of the same name
- Mona Parker, central character in the animated television series Mona the Vampire
- Mona Ramsey - A major female character from the Tales of the City books by Armistead Maupin. Portrayed first by Chloe Webb and then by Nina Siemaszko.
- Mona Sax, the lead female character in the Max Payne video game series, portrayed by Mila Kunis in the 2008 film.
- Mona Simpson, character in The Simpsons; Homer Simpson's estranged mother.
- Mona Vanderwaal, character in Pretty Little Liars
- Mona Younas, central character in the Pakistani television series My life.
- In Mona Lisa Overdrive, the final novel of William Gibson's Sprawl Trilogy, Mona is an innocent young prostitute in one of the story's plot threads.
- Mona (disambiguation)
- Monica (given name)
- ^ Behind the Name
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Tormod
- ^ http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mona
- ^ http://www.behindthename.com/namedays/search.php?terms=mona
- ^ http://www.behindthename.com/top/search.php?extra=p&terms=Mona
- ^ http://www.ancestry.com/facts/Mona-family-history.ashx
This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.