- Newport Township, Washington County, Ohio
Newport Township, Washington County, Ohio — Township — Coordinates: Coordinates: Country United States State Ohio County Washington Area – Total 35.7 sq mi (92.4 km2) – Land 35.5 sq mi (92.0 km2) – Water 0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2) Elevation 994 ft (303 m) Population (2000) – Total 2,176 – Density 61.2/sq mi (23.6/km2) Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 45768 Area code(s) 740 FIPS code 39-55356 GNIS feature ID 1087141
Located in the southeastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Lawrence Township - north
- Independence Township - northeast
- Marietta Township - west
- Fearing Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Newport Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- ^ a b "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. http://geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder.census.gov. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ Washington County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- ^ "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/general_ref/cousub_outline/cen2k_pgsz/oh_cosub.pdf. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- ^ §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
Municipalities and communities of Washington County, Ohio Cities Villages Townships CDP Unincorporated
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.