- Putnam County, Florida
Infobox U.S. County
county = Putnam County
state = Florida
map size = 225
January 18 1849
seat = Palatka | area_total_sq_mi =827
area percentage = 12.73%
census yr = 2000
pop = 70423
web = www.putnam-fl.com
Putnam County is a
countylocated in the state of Florida. As of 2000, the population was 70,423. The U.S. Census Bureau 2005 estimate for the county is 73,568 [http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/tables/CO-EST2005-01-12.xls] . Its county seatis Palatka, FloridaGR|6. The county is centrally located between Jacksonville, Gainesville, St. Augustine, and Daytona Beach.
Putnam County was created in 1849. It was Florida's 28th county created from parts of St. Johns, Alachua, Orange, Duval, and Marion counties. The county was named for
Benjamin A. Putnam, who was a soldier in the First Seminole War, a lawyer, Florida legislator, and the first president of the Florida Historic Society. Putnam died in the county seatof Palatka in 1869.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 827
square miles (2,142 km²), of which, 722 square miles (1,870 km²) of it is land and 105 square miles (273 km²) of it (12.73%) is water.
Clay County, Florida- north
St. Johns County, Florida- northeast
Flagler County, Florida- east
Volusia County, Florida- southeast
Marion County, Florida- southwest
Alachua County, Florida- west
Bradford County, Florida- northwest
Ocala National Forest(part)
As of the
censusGR|2 of 2000, there were 70,423 people, 27,839 households, and 19,459 families residing in the county. The population densitywas 98 people per square mile (38/km²). There were 33,870 housing units at an average density of 47 per square mile (18/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 77.91% White, 17.04% Black or African American, 0.42% Native American, 0.44% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 2.94% from other races, and 1.20% from two or more races. 5.92% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 27,839 households out of which 28.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 52.80% were married couples living together, 12.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.10% were non-families. 25.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.60% under the age of 18, 7.70% from 18 to 24, 24.20% from 25 to 44, 25.10% from 45 to 64, and 18.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 97.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,180, and the median income for a family was $34,499. Males had a median income of $29,975 versus $20,955 for females. The
per capita incomefor the county was $15,603. About 15.80% of families and 20.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 30.60% of those under age 18 and 13.10% of those age 65 or over.
Government links/Constitutional offices
* [http://www1.putnam-fl.com/live/default.asp Putnam County Board of County Commissioners] official website
* [http://www.putnam-fl.com/soe/ Putnam County Supervisor of Elections]
* [http://www.putnam-fl.com/app/ Putnam County Property Appraiser]
* [http://www.pcso.us/ Putnam County Sheriff's Office]
* [http://www.putnam-fl.com/txc/ Putnam County Tax Collector]
* [http://www.putnamschools.org/ Putnam County School District]
* [http://www.sjrwmd.com St. Johns River Water Management District]
* [http://www.putnam-fl.com/clk/ Putnam County Clerk of Courts]
* [http://www.volusia.org/publicdefender/default.htm Public Defender, 7th Judicial Circuit of Florida] serving Flagler, Putnam, St. Johns, and Volusia counties
* [http://www.sao7.com/ Office of the State Attorney, 7th Judicial Circuit of Florida]
* [http://www.circuit7.org/ Circuit and County Court for the 7th Judicial Circuit of Florida]
* [http://www.putnamcountychamber.org/ Putnam County Chamber of Commerce]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.