Outlandish Performing in 2009.
Background information Origin Brøndby, Københavns Amt, Denmark Genres Hip-hop, electronica, dance Years active 1997–present Labels Sony Music Entertainment
RCA Victor Europe
Associated acts Native Deen, Sami Yusuf, Seven8Six, Mintman Website www.outlandmoro.com Members Waqas Ali Qadri
Outlandish is a multi-award–winning hip-hop group based in Denmark. Formed in 1997, it consists of Isam Bachiri (born in Denmark and of Moroccan background), Waqas Ali Qadri (born in Denmark and of Pakistani background), and Lenny Martinez (born in Honduras and is of Cuban and Honduran descent). All three members are religious, with Isam and Waqas being Muslims and Lenny being Catholic. The band members live in Brøndby Strand.
- 1 History (Bread & Barrels Of Water)
- 2 Closer Than Veins
- 3 Recent Appearances and Activities
- 4 Sound of a Rebel
- 5 Music With Meaning
- 6 Discography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
History (Bread & Barrels Of Water)
Outlandish's hip-hop/R&B/soul music sound takes influences from their various backgrounds (Moroccan/Arab/Amazigh, Pakistani/Punjabi and Latin American), and although their songs are primarily in English, they usually feature lyrics in Spanish, Urdu/Punjabi, Danish, and Arabic. Outlandish often include themes about Islam and contemporary issues facing young Muslims in the west in their music, and sometimes their songs define a unique nasheed-like urban genre.
Their first single "Pacific to Pacific" was used in connection with an Amnesty International charity event. Next came the single "Saturday Night", a song that was later included on the soundtrack for the Danish film Pizza King. These singles were followed by their debut album, Outland's Official in 2000, which was only released in Denmark. The lead single, "Walou", was later included on their second album Bread & Barrels of Water.
The singles from their second album made bigger impact on the international music charts, including their cover version of Khaled's "Aïcha", which was a #1 hit in Germany and received a lot of airplay across Asia, especially in South Korea. "Guantanamo" also made a strong impression on the European charts. An old Hindi chorus interpolated it "Peelo" made it a hit amongst Indians living in the West.
For their third album, Closer than Veins, the group recorded an English-language cover of León Gieco's's "Sólo le pido a Dios" ("I Only Ask of God").
Closer Than Veins
Closer Than Veins (2005) is Outlandish's third album. The first single was "Look Into My Eyes". The song's lyrics are based on a poem by Gihad Ali, a Palestinian who wrote the piece when she was a teenager; the poem expresses the plight of those suffering from America’s foreign policy with regards to Israel and Palestine. The video is based around the fairy-tale Little Red Riding Hood. It portrays an Israeli soldier as the Wolf and the Palestinian girl, wearing a Kaffiyeh, as Little Red Riding Hood.
This album showcased the group's more mature outlook compared to their previous works. Tracks such as "Just Me" and "Una Palabra" give a rare insight into the life in Europe today as seen through the eyes of ethnic minorities, whereas "Nothing Left To Do" perhaps the most daring and compelling track on the album boldly tackles the still taboo ridden issue of a young Muslim man catching HIV:
Outlandish performed a live percussion version of "Look Into My Eyes" at the "Islamophobia" conference held in Copenhagen, Denmark in May 2006 which was hosted by the Islam Channel and included many theological and political speakers and community leaders. Their club thumping single "Kom Igen" is featured on EA's FIFA 07.
Outlandish included two new (bonus) tracks "In Good Hands" and "Angels Lower Their Wings" on the deluxe version of Closer Than Veins. They were the only Danish act performing at the European MTV Awards 2006, where they also won the prize for Best Danish Act.
Closer than veins is Outlandish's second internally released album after their album Bread & Barrels of Water. With this album Outlandish has become a major band in Europe and has made great inroads in Eastern Europe.
The singles from this album ("Callin' U" ( Produced and played by Mintman ), "Look Into My Eyes" & "I Only Ask of GOD") reached the European charts. In 2006 Outlandish won MTV European music award for their album Closer Than Veins and their single "Look Into My Eyes". BBC featured the band prominently describing it as a unique hip-hop R&B band. In 2007 the deluxe edition of Closer Than Veins released in UK for the first time. The album sold 2.3 million copies worldwide.
Recent Appearances and Activities
The band supported Sami Yusuf along with other nasheed artists at the "Concert for peace in Darfur" held at Wembley Arena in order to raise money for the families of genocide victims in the region.
The trio has participated in the Evening of Inspiration concerts (in aid of Islamic Relief charity) since 2006 and most recently participated in the 2008 concert which also featured Seven8Six, Raihan and Kareem Salama amongst fellow performers.". On 13 July 2008 Outlandish also performed at a concert for IslamExpo in London’s Olympia, Europe’s largest Muslim cultural event.
They also performed at the 2008 Global Peace and Unity event where they performed many of their singles, including Aicha.
Isam Bachiri features on the single "Still Strong" on Native Deen's recent album "Not Afraid To Stand Alone."
Sound of a Rebel
Sound of a Rebel, Outlandish's fourth major production, was released on May 11, 2009. The first single released from Sound of a Rebel was Rock All Day. The album is a departure from earlier work in many respects. The religious and social content has been toned down and the album features two collaborations with female vocalists, a first for the group.
Music With Meaning
The band has recently helped to form an umbrella organization, Music With Meaning, which aims to bring together like-minded artists in order to promote and produce inspirational and meaningful music. Its motto is: "If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything."
- 2000: Outland's Official
- 2002: Bread & Barrels of Water
- 2004: Beats, Rhymes & Life
- 2005: Closer Than Veins
- 2009: Sound of a Rebel
- 1999: Ajooba (Waqas Qadri's Debut Solo album)
- 2007: Institution (Isam Bashiri's Debut Solo album)
- 2008: Øko Logik (Waqas Qadri's Second Solo album)
- 2009: 2200 Carmen (Isam Bashiri's Second Solo album)
- 2011: Basement Biriyani Vol. 1 (Waqas Qadri's Third Solo album)
- "Belly Dance" (feat. Caroline) (Later included in Bread & Barrels of Water)
- "Man binder os på mund og hånd"
- "Pacific to Pacific" (in connection with an Amnesty International -- also included in Pizza King" OST)
- "Saturday Night" (from "Pizza King" OST)
- "Kun Min" (Only Mine)
- "angels lower their wings"
- "Keep it Halal" (feat. Scorzayzee)
- "Strange Are the Times" (Exclusive SonyEricsson W902 and W595 mobile phone packs, called Outlandish Pack)
- ""After Every Rainfall" (Charity song for Pakistan)
Collaborations and Appearances on Other Artists' Albums
- 1999: "The Eternal Q" - Acorn (Album: "Limitless Prospects" Tack: 5/9)
- 1999: "Det Går Ned" (Feat. Waqas Ali) - Cas (Album: Funkalation Track: 17/18)
- 2000: "Derfor Er Jeg" (Feat. Waqas Ali & Burhan G) - Cas (Album: Reflexion Track: 4/15)
- 2000: "Guld & Platin" (Feat. Isam B) - Karen (Album: "En Til En" Track: 3/13)
- 2001: "Jealousy (Feat. Outlandmoro)" - Funk Flush (Album: Barfly Legends Track: 3/13) [Outlanmoro - refers to Outlandish & Majid]
- 2001: "El Campo" - Majid (Album: "Life, Knowledge and Poetry" Track: 15/16)
- 2002: "The Game" - Acorn (Album: "The Sicknature" Tack: 5/9)
- 2002: "Till The Last Day" (Feat. Warlocks, Eye 'N' I, Curse, Samir, Outlandish, YOR123, Ezkimo) - Rockin Da North (Album: RDN Allstars Track: 8/18)
- 2005: "Try Not To Cry" - Sami Yusuf (Album: My Ummah Track: 5/20)
- 2005: "Meditate" (feat. Waqas Ali) - Seven 8 Six (Album: Straight Path Track: 6/13)
- 2006: "Hlash" (Feat. Eslam Jawaad, Isam Bachiri, Freeman, and Cilvaringz) - Salah Edin (Album:"The Official Mixtape" Track: 15/19)
- 2007: "Still Strong" (feat. Isam B) - Native Deen (Album: "Not Afraid To Stand Alone" Track: 6/21)
- 2007: "Tu Me Illenas" (feat. Waqas Ali) - Yadam (Album: Confesión Track: 11/12)
- 2007: "Where Ur Heart's At" (feat. Waqas Ali) - The Gypsies (Album: One Hand Up Track: 13/13)
- 2010: "I Swear (El Moro Remix)" - Shizzio (Album: I Swear (Single) Track: 1/2)
- 2010: "Desert Walk" - Kato (Album: Discolized Track:3/15)
- "Tied To The Chain" (Feat. Waqas Ali) - Sofia Hayat (Album: Dishonour)
- "Look Into My Eyes"
- "Kom Igen"
- "I Only Ask of God"
- "Callin' U"
- "Kun Min" (Be Mine)
- "Rock All Day"
- "Feels Like Saving The World"
- "Keep The Record On Play"
- "Let Off Some Steam" (Sound Of A Rebel - 2010)
- "TriumF" feat. Providers (2011 single)
- Outlandish Official Website
- Outlandish at MySpace
- Outlandish at the Internet Movie Database
- Outlandish at Allmusic
Outlandish AlbumsOutland's Official (2000) · Bread & Barrels of Water (2002) · Closer Than Veins (2005) · Sound of a Rebel (2009) Singles"Belly Dance" · "Man binder os på mund og hånd" · "Pacific To Pacific" in connection with Amnesty International · "Saturday Night" from "Pizza King" OST · "Kun Min" (Only Mine) · "Keep It Halal" · "Rock All Day" Collaborations withMajid · Sami Yusuf · Seven8Six · Native DeenCategories:
- Danish Muslims
- Danish hip hop groups
- Performers of Islamic music
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.