- Michael Palese
Michael Palese, M.D. Education Cornell University
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Profession urologist Institutions Mount Sinai Medical Center Specialism kidney cancer
minimally invasive surgery
Michael Palese, M.D., is an American urologist specializing in robotic, laparoscopic and endoscopic surgery, with a special emphasis on robotic surgeries relating to kidney cancer and kidney stone disease.
Palese is an Associate Professor and Medical Director of the Department of Urology at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine and serves as the Director of Minimally Invasive Surgery at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, both in New York City. As a board-certified urologist and fellowship-trained surgeon, he specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of kidney, bladder and prostate disease.
Palese is the author of multiple book chapters and more than sixty scientific articles and abstracts. He is among the few surgeons in the United States trained in open, laparoscopic and robotic kidney procedures, of which he has performed over 2,000. He has been included in Castle Connolly's lists of America's “Top Doctors” and the New York Times list of “Superdoctors” in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Palese graduated from Cornell University in 1993 with a double major degree in biology and German studies and a minor degree in Human Biology. He received his M.D. from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1997. He completed his general surgery and urology residency at the University of Maryland Medical Center and performed research at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, where he was a research resident and fellow. He finished a fellowship in robotic and laparoscopic surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University in 2004.
In 2004, Palese joined the Mount Sinai Medical Center where he established the robotic surgery program for the Department of Urology. He served as the Chief of Urology at the North General Hospital in New York City from 2004-2008.
Palese is on the Medical Advisory Board of the National Kidney Foundation of Greater New York and as a consultant for The Journal of Urology. He is on the steering committee for the Initiative on Kidney Cancer (sponsored by the National Kidney Foundation) and serves on the Medical Advisory Board to the New York Giants. He is a member of the American Medical Association (AMA), the American Urological Association (AUA), the New York section of the American Urological Association, and the Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons (SLS).
Palese is a faculty member for the Basic Laparoscopy Course (sponsored by the American Urological Association in Houston, Texas). He has been featured in news media including the New York Daily News, CBS and WPIX.
Current clinical trials include:
- GCO 99-415. Tissue Banking of Prostate, Kidney, Bladder Tissue and Blood.
- GCO 03-0962. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo Controlled Phase 3 Trial of Immunotherapy with Autologous Antigen Presenting Cells Loaded with PA2024 (Provenge®, APC8015) in Men with Metastatic, Androgen Independent Prostatic Adenocarcinomas.
- GCO 03-0962(2). An Open Label, Single Arm Trial of Immunotherapy with Autologous Antigen Presenting Cells Loaded with PA2024 (APC8015F) for Subjects With Objective Disease Progression and Disease-Related Pain on Trial D9902 Part B (PB01).
- GCO 08-0813. A Randomized, Multicenter, Single Blind Study in Men with Metastic Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer to Evaluate Sipuleucel-T Manufactured with Different Concentrations of PA2024 Antigen (P07-2).
- GCO 09-1509. An open label study of sipuleucel-T in men with castrate resistant prostate cancer.
- GCO 10-0751. A Phase I Neoadjuvant Study of In-Situ REIC/Dkk-3 Gene Therapy Followed by Prostatectomy in Patients with High Risk of Localized Prostate Cancer (MTG-REIC-PC001).
Honors and awards
- 2009-2011 Superdoctor of New York
- 2010 New York Metro Area Top Doctor: Castle Connolly
- 2007-2011 Guide to America's Top Surgeons
- 2005-2011 Best Doctors in America
- 2008-2011 Cornell University Extern Program Sponsor
- 2005 Best Urology Video; Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS)
- 2004 Fellow; American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- 2003 Resident Achievement Award; Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS)
- 2003 Pfizer Scholar Award and Grant
- 2003 Gerald P. Murphy Scholar
- 2002 Emil Tanagho Prize for Best Innovative Research; International Society for Sexual and Impotence Research (ISSIR)
- 2002 Sponseller Award for Excellence in Research
- 2001-2002 National Kidney Foundation of Maryland Grant; (NKF)
- Wedmid A and Palese MA. Complications of Laparoscopic Donor Nephrectomy. Complications of Laparoscopic and Robotic Urologic Surgery. Springer, New York, 2010:127-142.
- Palese MA, Del Pizzo JJ, Munver R and Poppas D. Robotic assisted adult and pediatric pyeloplasty. Textbook of Laparoscopic Urology. Informa Healthcare, New York, 2006:303-311.
- Palese MA, Mulhall JP and Goldstein I. Surgical treatments for vasculogenic erectile dysfunction. Atlas of Male Sexual Dysfunction. Current Medicine LLC, Philadelphia, 2004:115-125.
- Palese MA. Opposing views: Laparoscopic cryoablation for a 3 cm nonhilar renal tumor. J Urol. 2011 Jan; 185(0):1-3.
- Wedmid A, Palese MA. Diagnosis and treatment of the adrenal cyst. Curr Urol Rep. 2010 Feb; 11(1):44-50.
- Chin EH, Hazzan D, Edye M, Wisnivesky JP, Herron DM, Ames SA, Palese MA, Pomp A, Gagner M, Bromberg JS. The first decade of a laparoscopic donor nephrectomy program: effect of surgeon and institution experience with 512 cases from 1996 to 2006. J Am Coll Surg. 2009 Jul;209(1):106-113. PMID 19651070
- Maniar KP, Kalir TL, Palese MA, Unger PD. Endosalpingiosis of the Urinary Bladder: A Case of Probable Implantative Origin With Characterization of Benign Fallopian Tube Immunohistochemistry. Int J Surg Pathol. 2009 Mar 11. Epub ahead of print. PMID 19282293
- Simon DR, Palese MA. Clinical update on the management of adrenal hemorrhage. Curr Urol Rep. 2009 Jan; 1-(1):78-83. PMID 19116100
- Mufarrij PW, Woods M, Shah OD, Palese MA, Berger AD, Thomas R, Stifelman MD. Robotic dismembered pyleoplasty: A 6-year, multi-institutional experience. J of Urol. 2008 Oct; 180:1391-1396. PMID 18707739
- Muller A, Akin-Olugbade Y, Deveci S, Donohue JF, Tal R, Kobylarz KA, Palese M, Mulhall JP. The Impact of Shock Wave Therapy at Varied Energy and Dose Levels on Functional and Structural Changes in Erectile Tissue. Eur Urol. 2008 March 53(3):635-642.
- Simon DR, Palese MA. Noninvasive adrenal imaging in hyperaldosteronism. Curr Urol Rep. 2008 Jan; 9(1):80-87. PMID 18366979
- Disick GI, Palese MA. Extra-adrenal pheochromocytoma: diagnosis and management. Curr Urol Rep. 2007 Jan; 8(1):83-88.
- Raman JD, Palese MA, Ng CK, Boorjian SA, Scherr DS, Del Pizzo JJ, Sosa RE. Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Nephroureterectomy for Upper Urinary Tract Transitional Cell Carcinoma. JSLS. 2006 Dec; 10(4):432-438. PMID 17575752
- Deveci S, Palese MA, Parker M, Guhring P, Mulhall JP. Erectile function profiles in men with Peyronie's disease. J Urol. 2006 May; 175(5):1807-11; discussion 1811. PMID 16600766
- Hurt KJ, Sezen SF, Champion HC, Crone JK, Palese MA, Huang PL, Sawa A, Luo X, Musicki B, Snyder SH, Burnett AL. Alternatively spliced neuronal nitric oxide synthase mediates penile erection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006 Feb 28; 103(9):3440-3. PMID 16488973
- Schiff JD, Palese MA, Vaughan ED, Sosa RE, Coll D, and Del Pizzo JJ. Laparoscopic vs. open partial nephrectomy in consecutive patients: The Cornell Experience. BJU Inter. 2005; 96:811-814. PMID 16153207
- Boorjian S, Ng C, Munver R, Palese MA, Vaughan ED Jr., Sosa RE, Del Pizzo JJ, and Scherr D. Impact of delay to nephroureterectomy for patients undergoing ureteroscopic biopsy and laser tumor ablation of upper tract transitional cell carcinoma. Urology. 2005 Aug; 66(2):283-287. doi:10.1089/end.2004.18.912 PMID 15659932
- Palese MA, Munver R, Phillips CK, Dinlenc C, Stifelmann M, and DelPizzo JJ. Robot-assisted laparoscopic dismembered pyeloplasty. JSLS. 2005 Jul-Sep; 9(3):252-257. PMID 16121866
- Palese MA, Stifelmann MD, Munver R, Sosa RE, Philipps CK, Dinlenc C, and Del Pizzo JJ. Robot-assisted laparoscopic dismembered pyeloplasty: A combined experience. J Endourol. 2005 Apr;19(3):382-6. PMID 15865532
- Boorjian S, Ng C, Munver R, Palese MA, Sosa RE, Vaughan ED, Del Pizzo JJ and Scherr DS. Abnormal selective cytology predicts tumor recurrences in upper tract transitional cell carcinoma treated with endoscopic laser ablation. J Endourol. 2004 Nov; 18(9):912-916. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2005.02.022 PMID 16098357
- Musicki B, Palese MA, Crone JK and Burnett AL. Phosphorylated endothelial nitric oxide synthase mediates vascular endothelial growth factor-induced penile erection. Biol Reprod. 2004 Feb;70(2):282-289.
- Palese MA, Crone JK and Burnett AL. A castrated mouse model of erectile dysfunction. J Androl. 2003 September; 24(5):699-703.
- Palese MA, Colonna JO and Chai TC. Donor to native ureteroureterostomy in a patient with preexisting ileal conduit during renal transplantation. Urology. 2003 March; 61(3):643. A CME credit article.
- Palese MA, Su LM and Kavoussi L. Laparoscopic retroperitoneal lymph node dissection after chemotherapy. Urology. 2002 July; 60(1):130-134.
- Hurt KJ, Musicki B, Palese MA, Crone JK, Becker RE, Moriarity JL, Snyder SH and Burnett AL. Akt-dependent phosphorylation of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase mediates penile erection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A. 2002 Mar 19;99(6):4061-4066.
- Palese MA and Burnett AL. Corporoplasty using pericardium allograft (tutoplast) with complex penile prosthesis surgery. Urology. 2001 Dec; 58(6):1049-1052.
- Palese MA, Ferrer F, Perlman E and Gearhart JP: Metanephric stromal tumor: A rare benign pediatric renal mass. Urology. 2001 Sep; 58(3):462.
- ^ a b "Mount Sinai Hospital—Doctor profile". http://mountsinai.org/profiles/michael-a-palese#bot. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ a b Dorian Block (June 25, 2006). "Robot Does Quick Fix on Prostate". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2006/06/25/2006-06-25_robot_does_a_quick_fix_on_pr.html. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ a b Katie Charles (January 19, 2011). "Kidney cancer: Innovative new treatments boost survival rates for cancer patients". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2011/01/19/2011-01-19_kidney_cancer_innovative_new_treatments_boost_survival_rates_for_cancer_patients.html. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ "New York Urology - Super Doctors". http://www.superdoctors.com/new-york-metro/New-York/Urology/browse/page2. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ "Action to Cure Kidney Cancer". http://www.ackc.org/node/58. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ "Headlines - New York Giants website". http://www.giants.com/news/headlines/story.asp?story_id=31011. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ "American Urological Association". http://www.auanet.org/content/courses/HAL901/. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
- ^ Society of Laproendoscopic Surgeons
- ^ Jordan Lite (June 18, 2006). "Painless Blood Screening Can Help Save Your Life". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/2006/06/18/2006-06-18_a_healthy_choice__the_daily_.html. Retrieved February 23, 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.