- Gordon MacPherson
Dr George Gordon MacPherson is Reader in Experimental Pathology, Turnbull Fellow, Tutor in Medicine, and Senior Tutor at Oriel College, Oxford. He holds a Bachelor's degree (B.M.), Master's degree (M.A.) and a doctorate (D.Phil.). His research interests lie in Cell Biology, Pathology, and Immunology. Medically qualified, he researches immunology at the Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, University of Oxford.
He is recognized for his "pioneering work" on the modulation of the adaptive immune response by sub-populations of antigen-presenting dendritic cells, including a sub-population of dendritic cells which presents self-antigens derived from apoptotic gastrointestinal epithelial cells and helps maintain self-tolerance. This contrasts with the role of other dendritic cells in presenting pathogen-derived antigens in order to activate specific anti-pathogen T-cell and B-cell responses. He has also been a member of a British study group determining novel breast cancer susceptibility loci.
His ten most cited publications are:
- Huang, F.-P., Platt, N., Wykes, M., Major, J.R., Powell, T.J., Jenkins, C.D., MacPherson, G.G. "A discrete subpopulation of dendritic cells transports apoptotic intestinal epithelial cells to T cell areas of mesenteric lymph nodes" (2000) Journal of Experimental Medicine, 191 (3), pp. 435-443. Cited 427 times.
- MacPherson, G.G., Warrell, M.J., White, N.J. "Human cerebral malaria. A quantitative ultrastructural analysis of parasitized erythrocyte sequestration. (1985) American Journal of Pathology, 119 (3), pp. 385-401. Cited 279 times.
- Damoisequx, J.G.M.C., Dopp, E.A., Calame, W., Chao, D., MacPherson, G.G., Dijkstra, C.D. "Rat macrophage lysosomal membrane antigen recognized by monoclonal antibody ED1. (1994) Immunology, 83 (1), pp. 140-147. Cited 250 times.
- Liu, L.M., MacPherson, G.G. "Antigen acquisition by dendritic cells: Intestinal dendritic cells acquire antigen administered orally and can prime naive T cells in vivo." (1993) Journal of Experimental Medicine, 177 (5), pp. 1299-1307. Cited 176 times.
- Wykes, M., Pombo, A., Jenkins, C., MacPherson, G.G. "Dendritic cells interact directly with naive B lymphocytes to transfer antigen and initiate class switching in a primary T-dependent response" (1998) Journal of Immunology, 161 (3), pp. 1313-1319. Cited 146 times.
- MacPherson, G.G., Jenkins, C.D., Stein, M.J., Edwards, C. Endotoxin-mediated dendritic cell release from the intestine: Characterization of released dendritic cells and TNF dependence" (1995) Journal of Immunology, 154 (3), pp. 1317-1322. Cited 145 times.
- Hume, D.A., Robinson, A.P., MacPherson, G.G., Gordon, S."The mononuclear phagocyte system of the mouse defined by immunohistochemical localization of antigen F4/80. Relationship between macrophages, Lagerhans cells, reticular cells, and dendritic cells in lymphoid and hematopoietic organs" (1983) Journal of Experimental Medicine, 158 (5), pp. 1522-1536. Cited 116 times.
- Pugh, C.W., MacPherson, G.G., Steer, H.W. Characterization of nonlymphoid cells derived from rat peripheral lymph (1983) Journal of Experimental Medicine, 157 (6), pp. 1758-1779. Cited 99 times.
- Huang, F.-P., Farquhar, C.F., Mabbott, N.A., Bruce, M.E., MacPherson, G.G. Migrating intestinal dendritic cells transport PrPSc from the gut (2002) Journal of General Virology, 83 (1), pp. 267-271. Cited 77 times.
- Liu, L., Zhang, M., Jenkins, C., MacPherson, G.G. "Dendritic cell heterogeneity in vivo: Two functionally different dendritic cell populations in rat intestinal lymph can be distinguished by CD4 expression" (1998) Journal of Immunology, 161 (3), pp. 1146-1155. Cited 72 times.
- ^ Iwasaki,A., "Mucosal dendritic cells" Annual Review of Immunology (2007). 25:381–418 url= "Pioneering work on LP DCs by G. MacPherson and colleagues analyzed DCs [dendritic cells] in the lymph that were bound for the MLNs (mesenteric lymph nodes)." Archived 23 December 2010 at WebCite
- ^ Huang, F.-P., Platt, N., Wykes, M., Major, J.R., Powell, T.J., Jenkins, C.D., MacPherson, G.G. "A discrete subpopulation of dendritic cells transports apoptotic intestinal epithelial cells to T cell areas of mesenteric lymph nodes" (2000) Journal of Experimental Medicine, 191 (3), pp. 435-443.
- ^ "Genome-wide association study identifies novel breast cancer susceptibility loci." Nature. 2007 May 27 PMID: 17529967
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.