- Deron Miller
Deron Miller performing with CKY in 2009
Background information Birth name Deron John Miller Born May 21, 1976
West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
Genres Alternative metal
Melodic death metal
Occupations Musician Instruments Vocals, guitar, bass, keyboards Years active 1992–present Labels Distant Records, Volcom, Island Records, Roadrunner Records, Nuclear Blast Associated acts CKY
World Under Blood
This End Up
Deron John Miller (born May 21, 1976) is the lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for World Under Blood and CKY (Camp Kill Yourself), which has been through various incarnations since being founded in 1998. CKY's most recent release was 2009's Carver City.
One day in 1994, Deron, was in Algebra class where he met future bandmate Jess Margera. The two got along right away from sharing a sense of humor no one else related to. Deron was in the process of breaking up with his band This End Up, and Jess had told Deron that he could play drums. So with the current circumstances, Deron went to Jess's House and the two had a jamming session. At first Deron thought Jess lacked skill at drumming. But Deron gave Jess another chance and the two jammed again and formed the band Foreign Objects. After releasing a 5-Track EP, Deron and Jess decided to start a new, more commercial band called oiL. The band went to a studio to record a demo when they met Chad I. Ginsburg in GroundHog Studios in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. After hearing a demo of Disengage The Simulator from the band Chad immediately wanted to be part of the band having recently left his band Rudy + Blitz. The actual band name "Camp Kill Yourself" was thought up by Deron Miller during a conservation with his fellow band members at a local West Chester pizza parlor. When discussing band names, Deron being a huge fan of horror movies mentioned the idea of having a "horror movie title" rather than a typical "Band name". According to Deron, most band names these days were seemingly similar and boring; it would be different to have a horror movie title. After some thought, "Camp Kill Yourself" was the new name of the band. It was much more exciting than their previous name "Oil" and having a name such as "Camp Kill Yourself" according to Deron Miller "Demanded attention". The name was later changed to "CKY"; a much easier title for fans to chant during concerts.
Deron is contributing to James Murphy's Death tribute album and is the person who initially thought of the idea of the album. His four main inspirations are Chuck Schuldiner of Death, James Murphy of Death, James Hetfield of Metallica, and Paul Stanley of the band Kiss.
Deron was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania. He has appeared with the CKY Crew in many of Bam Margera's videos, including Landspeed: CKY, CKY2K, CKY3, CKY4, the CKY Documentary, and Haggard, the latter as a member of the band Gnarkill in Haggard (note that Deron is not actually a member of the real Gnarkill). He can also be seen giving his opinions about Haggard in the "making of" DVD bonus feature. Deron also appeared on the TV show "Jackass" in skits such as "The Heavy Metal Alarm Clock" where he says "I want to thank Phil & Ape for coming out tonight and keeping the scene alive". He can also be seen in a cameo in the long awaited film, "Return to Sleepaway Camp," which was finally released on November 4, 2008. Miller married the film's star, Felissa Rose, on October 17, 2004. The couple currently live in California with their 3 children, Bianca Rose (Born June 8, 2005), Lola Marue (Born March 4, 2007), and Thomas Carver (Born August 29, 2009). The couple are both featured in the 2009 horror-comedy Caesar and Otto's Summer Camp Massacre and it's sequel, which is currently in production, Caesar and Otto's Deadly XMas.
- Parker Nitefly SA, Nitefly Mojo, Fly Mojo, Nitefly M, Fly Deluxe, and P Series Guitars (guitars strung with only the low e,a,d,and g strings)
- Tunes his guitars to D standard (D G C F A D) (One Step below Standard Tuning)
- Peavey Rotor (Used live in Morgantown,WV)
- JCM 2000 DSL & TSL 100 Amplifiers
- Peavey XXX Amplifier
- Marshall and Peavey 4x12 Cabinets
- Currently uses Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz pickups in his Fly Guitars
- Former user of DiMarzio Super Distortions.
- D'addario .52 Gauge strings with a wound G
- Dunlop 1.00mm to 1.14mm Tortex Picks
- Boss OC-2 (Live Setup)
- Guyatone BR2
- Boss TU2
- Uses amp distortion
- His early guitar was an Ibanez RG570  as seen in the CKY documentary.
- He used a Epiphone SG in Oil and early CKY. The Epiphone SG was auctioned off on eBay in 2002 to help pay for medical expenses for ex. Death guitar player James Murphy's previous surgery.
- ^ Dan DeLuca (August 17, 2001). "Setting the games to music In four days, many bands will perform. CKY, with its strong ties to the skate scene, may best embody the X Games culture.". Philadelphia Inquirer. http://articles.philly.com/2001-08-17/entertainment/25298246_1_band-miller-music-stage. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- The Official CKY Website
- No-Fi "Magazine" Interview by Garrett Faber
- Deron Miller on IMDb
- Interview on the set of Deadly XMas by TheScreamQueen.com's Jenna Williams
Studio albums CompilationsVolume 2 · B-Sides & Rarities Extended plays Videos Singles"Familiar Realm" · "Hellions on Parade" · "A#1 Roller Rager" · "Afterworld" Other songs Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.