- Channel America
Channel America (CA) was the first United States terrestrial broadcast television network to be intentionally assembled out of LPTV, or low-power television licensees. The network was founded by David Post in 1987 and launched in 1988. It offered a 24-hour feed of mostly inexpensive programming, delivered to its affiliate stations, many owned and originally established by the network, via satellite. In this, it was a model for the American Independent Network (subsequently succeeded by the rather similar programming of Urban America Television) and the somewhat more visible ION Television (formerly PAX), both of which also were largely seen around the United States on LPTV signals and on cable systems required to clear them.
Channel America was founded in 1987 by David Post, who had hopes of creating a network with one thousand low-power television stations. The network never reached its goal in terms of affiliates, but still launched in 1988. In late 1995, the network peaked with a reach of 44,000,000 households through 100 affiliates. On September 18, 1995, EVRO Entertainment of Kissimmee, Florida acquired a 51% interest in the Channel America Network, with the option to buy the remaining 49%. The new owners had plans to create a sports-themed home shopping network. Many of the Channel America owned and operated stations were sold to PAX prior to the EVRO sale. Most of the affiliates eventually switched to America One.
Among the shows on Channel America was Hot Seat, a talk show hosted by Wally George which was produced by KDOC in Anaheim, California. (Ironically, KDOC never joined the Channel America network). The network also aired several classic shows from Columbia Television. Those shows included Hazel, Gidget, The Flying Nun, Family, Ghost Story, Bridget Loves Bernie, and The Fantastic Journey.
Defunct English-language broadcast television networks in the United States Major Minor Specialty Home shopping networks
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.