- List of people of Korean descent
This is a list of famous Koreans or famous people of Korean descent. For easy reference, the
hangulspelling of each person's name is provided alongside his or her romanized name.
Hye Rim Park
Sung Hi Lee
* Joo Ji Hoon (주지훈)
List of Korean painters"
Actors and actresses
List of South Korean actors"
* Ahn Jae-mo (안재모)
* Ahn Jae-wook (안재욱)
* Bae Doona (배두나)
* Bae Yong Joon (배용준)
* Chae Jung-an (채정안)
Margaret Cho(조 마가렛), U.S. Comedian/Actress (Ethnic Korean)
* Choi Jeong-yoon (최정윤)
* Choi Ji-woo (최지우)
* Choi Kang-hee (최강희)
* Choi Min-sik (최민식)
* Chu Sang-mi (추상미)
* Gam Wu-seong (감우성)
* Gong Yoo (공유)
* Ha Ji-won (하지원)
* Han Chae-young (한채영)
* Han Ga-In (한가인)
* Han Hyo Joo (한효주)
* Han Ji-hye (한지혜)
* Han Suk-kyu (한석규)
* Harisu (하리수)
* Daniel Henney (다니엘 헤니)
* Hyun Bin (현빈)
* Jang Dong-gun (장동건)
* Jang Hyuk (장혁)
* Jang Jin-young (장진영}
* Jang Na-ra (장나라)
* Jeon Doh-Youn (전도연)
* Ji Sung (지성)
* Jo In-song (조인성)
* Sin-ae (신애)
* Jo Yoon-hee (조윤희)
* Jun Ji-hyun (전지현)
* Kang Dong-won (강동원)
Daniel Dae Kim(다니엘 대 김) - (Lost, Angel, CSI, etc. born in Korea migrated to US )
Sandra Oh(산드라 오) - (Grey's Anatomy, Princess Diaries)
Yunjin Kim(김윤진) - (Lost)
* Kim Ah-jung (김아중)
* Kim Dong Wan (김동완)
* Kim Hee-sun (김희선)
* Kim Hye-su (김혜수)
* Kim Hyo-jin (김효진)
* Kim Hyun-ju (김현주)
* Kim Jae-won (김재원)
* Kim Ji-soo (김지수)
* Kim Mu-saeng (김무생)
* Kim Nam-joo (김남주)
* Kim Ok-bin (김옥빈)
* Kim Sa-rang (김사랑)
* Kim Sun-ah (김선아)
* Kim Tae-Hee (김태희)
* Kim Yoon-jin (김윤진)
* Ko Ah-seong (고아성)
* Go So Young (고소영)
* Kwon Sang-woo (권상우)
* Lee Bobby, U.S. Comedian/Actor (Ethnic Korean)
* Lee Byung-hun (이병헌)
* Lee Da Hae (이다해)
* Lee Dong-Wook (이동욱)
* Lee Eun-ju (이은주)
* Lee Hana (이하나)
* Lee Hyo-ri (이효리)
* Lee Jun Ki(이준기)
* Lee Jung-hyun (이정현)
* Lucy Lee
Lee Mi-ja(이미자), singer
* Lee Na-young (이나영)
* Lee Sa-bi (이사비)
* Lee Si-yeon (이시연)
* Lee Yoo-jin (이유진)
* Lee Young-ae (이영애)
* Nam Sang Mi (남상미)
Dennis Joseph O'Neil
* Pak Chae-rim (박채림) Chae-rim (채림)
Patti Kim(패티김), singer
* Park Han-byul (박한별)
* Park Ji-yoon (박지윤)
* Park Sang-min (박상민)
* Park Sol-mi (박솔미)
* Soo Ae (박수애)
* Park Yong-ha (박용하)
* Park Yoon-Hee (박윤희)
Park Yoon-Ki (박윤기)
* Ryu Shi-won (류시원)
* Sin Min-ah (신민아)
* Son Ye-jin (손예진)
* Song Il Gook (송일국)
* Song Gang-ho (송강호)
* Song Hye-kyo (송혜교)
* Song Seung-hun (송승헌)
* Song Yun-ah (송윤아)
* Uhm Ji-won (엄지원)
* Won Bin (원빈)
* Yoo Chae-yeong (유채영)
* Yoon Eun Hye (윤은혜)
* Yoon Chan (윤찬)
Yoon Shin Hye (윤신혜)
* Yoon Son-ha (윤손하)
Yang Mi Kyung (양미경)
Cha In-Pyo (차인표)
* Rain (비)
* [Yuna (윤아- 소녀시대)
* Ahn Byeong-ki (안병기)
* Bong Joon-ho (봉준호)
* Hong Sang-su (홍상수)
* Im Kwon-taek (임권택)
* Jang Jun-hwan (장준환)
* Kim Ji-woon (김지운)
* Kim Ki-duk (김기덕)
* Lee Chang-dong (이창동)
* Michael Kang (강희진)
* Park Chan-wook (박찬욱)
* Park Kwang-su (박광수)
* Shin Sang-ok (신상옥)
* Song Hae-seong (송해성)
* Yoon Je-kyoon (윤제균)Park Chan-Joon (박찬준)
Poets and authors
List of Korean language poets"
* Jeong Cheol (or Chong Ch'ol) (정철)
* Kang Chol-hwan (강철환), author of "
The Aquariums of Pyongyang"
* Ko Un (고은), poet (born 1933)
Joo Duk-In, Renown Korean poet based in Australia, author of the meaning of meanings novel published by Bloomsbury.
List of Korean pop artists"
Bae Seul Gi
Baek Ji Young
Brown Eyed Girls
Dong Bang Shin Ki
Eun Ji Won
Fly To The Sky
Hong Kyung Min
Kim Jong Kook
Lee Jung Hyun
Lee Seung Gi
Lee Soo Young
Lee Seung Cheol
Lim Jeong Hee
MC The Max
M to M
Park Jin Young
Shin Hae Chul
Sung Si Kyung
Trish DoanFormer bass player of Kittie
List of Korean monarchs"
* King Gwanggaeto the Great (광개토대왕), 19th ruler of King of Goguryeo who brought the empire to its military height.
* Eulji Mundeok (을지문덕), 6th century Goguryeo general who repelled a vast Chinese infantry invasion.
* Yang Manchun (양만춘), Goguryeo general who repelled a massive Tang army at the Siege of Ansi Fortress, leading to
Tang Taizong's first defeat.
* Yeon Gaesomun (연개소문), the first "Dae Mangniji" ("Great Prime Minister") of Goguryeo, and military dictator.
* King Munmu (문무왕), 30th king of the
Silladynasty, unifier of the three Kingdoms.
* King Go (고왕), founder of
Balhae, a state in ancient Manchuria and Northern Korean Peninsula.
* Emperor Taejo (고려 태조), founder of the
* Gang Gam-chan (강감찬), military commander during the early Goryeo Dynasty.
* King Gongmin (공민왕), king of Goryeo Dynasty who expelled Mongolians from Korea.
* King Taejo (조선 태조), the founder and first king of the
* King Sejong the Great (세종대왕), invented the native Korean alphabet
* Yi Sun-sin (이순신), respected as one of the greatest admirals and military leaders in world history.
* King Jeongjo (조선 정조), 22nd king of the
Joseon Dynasty, called the "reformation ruler" in Korea.
* Empress Myeongseong (명성황후), one of the prominent queens of Korea, the first official wife of Emperor Gojong.
* An Jung-geun (안중근), patriot who assassinated Japanese Prime Minister
* Ahn Chang-ho (도산 안창호), Korean independence activist.
* Kim Gu (김구), Korean independence activist and the sixth and last president of the
Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea.
President of South Korea"
* Ban Ki-moon (반기문) 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations
* Chang Myon (장면) Prime Minister, 1960-1961
* Choi Kyu-ha (최규하) President, 1979-1980
* Chun Doo-hwan (전두환) President, 1980-1988
* Chung Mong-jun (정몽준)
* Kim Dae-jung (김대중) President, 1998-2003
* Kim Il-sung (김일성)
North Korean Communistdictator, 1948-1993
* Kim Jong-il (김정일) North Korean Communist dictator, 1993-present
* Kim Jong-pil (김종필)
* Kim Gu (김구) (1876-1949), patriot and the sixth and last president of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Korea.
* Kim Young-sam (김영삼) President, 1993-1998
* Lee Myung-Bak (이명박) President, 2008-Present
* Lee Beom-seok (이범석)
* Lee Hoi-chang (이회창)
* Lee Hun Jai (이헌재)
* Lee Hae-chan (이해찬)
* Lyuh Woon-Hyung (여운형)
* Park Chung-hee (박정희) Military ruler, 1961-1963; President, 1963-1979
* Rhee Syng-man (이승만) President, 1948-1960
* Roh Moo-hyun (노무현) President, 2003-2008
* Roh Tae-woo (노태우) President, 1988-1993
* Yun Bo-seon (윤보선) President, 1960-1962
List of Korean Buddhists"
* Moon Sun-myung (문선명) - Founder of the
* David Yong-gi Cho (조용기) - Founder/Pastor of
Yoido Full Gospel Church, the world's largest church.
* Ham Seok-heon (함석헌) - Quaker leader and human rights activist.
* Chung Hyun-kyung (정현경) -
Feministtheologian and peace activist.
* St. Andrew Tae-geon Kim (김대건) - First Korean Roman Catholic priest and martyr.
Hae Jong Kim- Bishopof the United Methodist Church.
* Stephen Cardinal Sou-hwan Kim (김수환) - Former Roman Catholic
Archbishop of Seoul(1968-1998) .
* Nicholas Jin-suk Cheong (정진석) - Roman Catholic
Archbishop of Seoul(1998-present).
* Young Shik Rhee (이영식) - theologian, peace activist and educator; founder of
*Myung Seok Jung (정명석) - Founder of Providence Church, currently wanted for rape and other crimes.
*Jun Gon Kim (김준곤) - Founder of
Korea Campus Crusade for Christ.
Park Hyung-Nong (박형룡)-A systematic theologian.
*Yoo Jin So (유진소) - Founder of
All Nations's Church in Los Angelos.
Han In Sang- General Authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
* Kim Yong-ok (김용옥), philosopher
* Ju Si-gyeong (주시경), linguist
* Yi I (이이), philosopher
* Yi Hwang (이황)
* Ichadon (이차돈)
Buddhist monkbuddhist monk/advisor to Silla king
* Ji Ho, linguist, diplomat
* Jeong Yak-yong (정약용)
Hong Emee Leewandering medieval philosopher
"Scientists and engineers"
* Lee Whi-so (이휘소) aka Benjamin Lee, theoretical physicist (1935-1977)
* Hwang Woo-suk (황우석), controversial biomedical "scientist" who is infamous for his fraudulent research and not regarded as a scientist by most
Jang Young Sil(장영실), engineer and scientist during the ChosonDynasty
Kim Soon-kwon(김순권), nominated three times for the Nobel Prizedue to his investigations and projects regarding corn.
* Kwang-Yul Cha(차광렬), controversial biomedical scientist [Bruce Flamm, [http://csicop.org/si/2004-09/miracle-study.html "The Columbia University 'Miracle' Study: Flawed and Fraud"] , "Skeptical Inquirer", September/October 2004] [ [http://blog.wired.com/biotech/2007/03/california_fund.html California Funds Korean Cloning] , "Wired" magazine, March 2007]
List of South Korean footballers", " List of Korean boxers"
* Dong Keun Park (박동근), Legendary Taekwondo Champion of the 1960s [http://www.lacancha.com/dongkeunpark.html]
* Ahn Jung-hwan (안정환), footballer in Bundesliga
* Cha Bum-keun (차범근), footballer in Bundesliga
* Choi Hong-Man (최홍만),
* Choi Hee-seop (최희섭), former MLB player, currently plays in South Korea's Professional Baseball League.
* Hong Myung-bo (홍명보), footballer
Ha Seung-Jin, Professional basketball player currently playing in the development league.
* Kim Byung-hyun (김병현), MLB player-plays for the
* Kim Mi-hyun (김미현),
* Sunny Kim (김선우), baseball player.
* Lee Chun-soo (이천수), footballer
* Lee Seung Yeop (이승엽), NPB baseball player
* Lee Hyung-Taik (이형택), tennis player
Moon Dae-Sung, 2004Olympic Taekwon-DoGold medalist
* Nam Sung-yong (남승룡), marathoner
Angela Park, Brazilian golfer on the LPGA tour
* Park Chan-ho (박찬호), MLB player who pitches for the
Los Angeles Dodgers
* Park Ji-sung (박지성), footballer in English club
* Pak Se-ri (박세리),
* Seol Ki-hyeon (설기현), footballer in English club
* Sohn Kee-chung (손기정), Olympic Marathon gold medallist
Birdie Kim(born Kim Ju-yun), LPGAplayer and 2005 Women's Open champion
Hines Ward(하인스 워드), Pittsburgh Steelerswide receiver; Super Bowl XLMVP
Jeannie Kim, aka "Lotus" WOW wrestler
Steve Small, aka "Stevo" WOW wrestler
* Peter Bell,
Australian rules footballplayer
* Michelle Wie (Korean name Wi Seong-mi (위성미)),
* Jeanette Lee, WPBA professional pool player
* Joo Se Hyuk(주세혁),
Table tennis, defensive chopper
Jim Paek(백지선), Pro ice hockey player
Richard Park(박용수) Pro ice hockey player
* Myung Jae Nam (명재남) Hapkido master, founder of Hankido (1938-1999)
* Chi In-Jin(지인진) Professional boxer, a former WBC world champion
Ki Soo KimProfessional boxer, the first Korean world champion (WBA, WBC)
Eugene Chungformer American football offensive lineman in the National Football League
John LeeAll-American placekicker for the UCLA Bruins football team from 1982-1985. He was the 32nd pick selected in the 1986 NFL draft and later played 1 year for the St. Louis Cardinals. He was inducted to the UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame in 2001.
Denis KangMMA middle-weight fighter
* Park Tae-hwan (박태환) Swimmer
* Jong Song-Ok (정성옥), North Korean; championship of Marathon in 1999
Park Sung-HyunOlympic medal winner Archery
Eric BigorniaKarate master, Escrima black belt, mixed-martial artist
List of Korea-related topics
List of Goguryeo people
List of Baekje people
List of Silla people
List of Goryeo people
List of Joseon Dynasty people
List of Korean Americans
List of people by nationality
* [http://koreanfilm.org/actors.html List of Actors and Actresses of Korea]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.