- Aerosmith (album)
Aerosmith Studio album by Aerosmith Released January 1973 Recorded 1972 at Intermedia Studios in Boston, Massachusetts Genre Hard rock, blues rock Length 35:44 Label Columbia Producer Adrian Barber Aerosmith chronology Aerosmith
Get Your Wings
Singles from Aerosmith
Aerosmith is the eponymous debut album by American hard rock band Aerosmith, released in January 1973 by Columbia Records. The song "Walkin' the Dog" is a cover song originally performed by Rufus Thomas. Also featured on the album is "Dream On" which became an American top ten single when re-released in 1976. "Dream On" was first released as a single in 1973. The album peaked at #21 on the Billboard 200 in 1976.
The photo at right is the original cover, which misprinted the song "Walkin' The Dog" as "Walkin' The Dig". When a second pressing of the album was released in 1976, this error was corrected, and the cover replaced with a modified one made up entirely of the photo of the band members. This second pressing is the more commonly available version of the LP. When reissued on CD in 1993 as a remastered version, the original first pressing artwork was used.
After entering a partnership with Frank Connelly, David Krebs and Steve Leber invited members of two record labels – Atlantic Records and Columbia Records – to view an Aerosmith concert at Max's Kansas City. Clive Davis, the president of Columbia, was impressed with the group and Aerosmith signed with Columbia in the summer of 1972.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic link Rolling Stone link
The album received generally positive reviews. Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic stated that the album clearly showcases all the attributes of the band that would become the defining American hard rock band of the '70s.
All songs written and composed by Steven Tyler, except where noted.
Side one No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Make It" 3:38 2. "Somebody" Tyler, Steven Emspack 3:45 3. "Dream On" 4:28 4. "One Way Street" 7:00 Side two No. Title Writer(s) Length 1. "Mama Kin" 4:25 2. "Write Me a Letter" 4:11 3. "Movin' Out" Tyler, Joe Perry 5:03 4. "Walkin' the Dog" Rufus Thomas 3:12
- Steven Tyler – lead vocals
- Joe Perry – guitar, backing vocals
- Brad Whitford – guitar
- Tom Hamilton – bass
- Joey Kramer – drums, percussion
- David Woodford – saxophone on "Mama Kin" and "Write Me a Letter"
- Producer: Adrian Barber
- Engineers: Adrian Barber, Caryl Weinstock
- Liner notes: Stu Werbin
Album – Billboard (North America)
Year Chart Position 1973 The Billboard 200 21
Singles – Billboard (North America)
Year Single Chart Position 1973 "Dream On" The Billboard Hot 100 59 "Mama Kin" The Billboard Hot 100 75 1976 "Dream On" (re-issue) The Billboard Hot 100 6
Organization Level Date RIAA - U.S. Gold September 11, 1975 Platinum November 21, 1986 2× Platinum CIA – Canada Gold Nov 01, 1976 Platinum May 1, 1979
- ^ a b c d e Wild, David (1991, 2002). Album notes for Pandora's Box by Aerosmith, pp. 17, 18 [CD liner]. United States: Columbia Records (C3K 86567).
- ^ a b (1980, 1993) Album notes for Aerosmith's Greatest Hits by Aerosmith [CD liner]. United States: Columbia Records (CK 57367).
- ^ "Aerosmith - Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/aerosmith-p3508/charts-awards/billboard-albums. Retrieved December 1, 2010.
- ^ "Aerosmith - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/aerosmith-p3508/charts-awards/billboard-singles. Retrieved December 1, 2010.
- ^ Aerosmith (1973) at Allmusic
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.