- Atreyu (band)
Atreyu live in 2006
Background information Origin Yorba Linda, California, United States Genres Metalcore, post-hardcore, alternative metal Years active 1998–2011 (hiatus) Labels Tribunal, Victory, Hollywood, Roadrunner Associated acts Avenged Sevenfold, Bleeding Through, The Black Cloud Collective, Hell or Highwater, Fake Figures, I Am War Website atreyurock.com Members Alex Varkatzas
Past members Tim Brooks
Atreyu is an American rock band from Orange County, California, formed in 1998. The band consists of vocalist/lyricist Alex Varkatzas, guitarists Dan Jacobs and Travis Miguel, bassist Marc McKnight and drummer/vocalist Brandon Saller. The band was originally named "Retribution", but later changed their name to "Atreyu" (after the character of the same name from the fantasy book/movie The Neverending Story), when they found out that another band from Hemet, California had been using their original name. Since their formation the band have since released five studio albums: Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, The Curse, A Death-Grip on Yesterday, Lead Sails Paper Anchor, and Congregation of the Damned. In 2008, they were on the Projekt Revolution tour with Linkin Park and headlined the smaller Revolution Stage along with 10 Years, Hawthorne Heights, and Armor for Sleep.
1998–2000: Independent years
In 1998, Atreyu released an independent 7-track EP titled Visions. The album was sold at their live performances. Their second release, was a short 5-track EP titled Fractures in the Facade of Your Porcelain Beauty released by underground label Tribunal Records and featured tracks that would be re-worked in later releases. Atreyu signed with Victory Records in 2001, and their most critically acclaimed works would be to come from these releases.
2001–2006: Victory Records
In 2001, Atreyu signed with Victory Records, later releasing in 2002 their first full-length album Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses. The band also introduced a second singer, Brandon Saller, the drummer, who would become more prolific in their later releases. However for Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, his parts were largely confined to choruses. Music videos were filmed for the singles "Ain't Love Grand" and "Lip Gloss and Black." The latter video found significant airplay on Headbangers Ball and Uranium in fall of 2003, gaining Atreyu some of its initial mainstream attention.
The group's second album, The Curse, was released in 2004, selling 450,000 copies. The band was then featured on the soundtrack to the film Mr. and Mrs. Smith with a cover of Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name". Atreyu was also featured on the soundtrack to Underworld: Evolution with "Her Portrait in Black." "Right Side of the Bed" also appeared on the Burnout 3 Soundtrack, a racing video game.
In 2006, Atreyu released its third studio album, A Death-Grip on Yesterday, on March 28, 2006. The album peaked at number 9 on the Billboard 200, with sales of 69,000. The band gained further fame when the first single, "Exs and Ohs", appeared on the soundtrack to Madden NFL '07. The album was said to have a balance of Brandon Saller's melodic singing vocals and Varkatzas's aggressive screaming. The album was met with positive reviews."
2007–2009: Hollywood Records
In early 2007, Atreyu signed a record deal with Hollywood Records for America and an international deal with Roadrunner Records. With a new label, the band began to prepare its fourth studio album, Lead Sails Paper Anchor. A jigsaw puzzle was released on the band's website, as the goal was to put all the audio clips of the single "Becoming the Bull" into correct order, forming the whole song. Lead Sails Paper Anchor was released on August 28, 2007, and debuted at number 8 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 43,000 copies. The American release of the album had a bonus track, a cover of the song "Epic" by Faith No More while the European and Australian bonus track was a cover of "Clean Sheets" by The Descendents. The album was received with mixed reviews, and was a notable change in sound for the band.
Atreyu toured in the United States on the Taste of Chaos 2008 tour, alongside bands such as Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, D'espairsRay, Mucc, and Blessthefall. The band also toured with co-headliners Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet for My Valentine in Australia and New Zealand. They also played the UK Taste of Chaos tour, headlining with Story of the Year and As I Lay Dying.
On April 22, 2008, Lead Sails Paper Anchor was re-released with new cover art, two bonus tracks, a DVD, and a digital booklet. From July to August 2008, Atreyu headlined the Revolution Stage of Linkin Park's Projekt Revolution. Their setlist consisted of 45 minutes of various songs. With them on the stage were 10 Years, Hawthorne Heights, Armor for Sleep, and Street Drum Corps. Atreyu was also a part of the KROQ-FM Epicenter '09 Show where they did a meet and greet to benefit the non-profit organization Music Saves Lives.
2009-2011: Congregation of the Damned, Covers of the Damned, and hiatus
Atreyu's fifth studio album, Congregation of the Damned, was released on October 27, 2009. The album, which was produced by Bob Marlette (who has worked with Ozzy Osbourne and Airbourne) and mixed by Rich Costey (who has worked with System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine), was said to be "darker" and "heavier" than the band's previous albums. According to lead singer Alex Varkatzas, the record is a "mix of everything we've ever done. For every song that's more melodic or rock-driven there's a total shit-kicker, and I think that's what makes us a well-rounded band." Atreyu has also described the album to "Make more sense than the other ones because they finally realize what they are".
The band started a co-headlining tour with Hollywood Undead, Escape The Fate and The Sleeping in October, and as promotion of album debut songs like "Bleeding Is A Luxury" at K-Rockathon 14 in New York State Fairgrounds, Syracuse, NY., and "Gallows". Atreyu also promoted the album with five webisodes, released biweekly from September 1 to October 20. Congregation of The Damned debuted at #18 on the Billboard 200, selling 27,412 copies on its first week. Atreyu recently announced that they will be recording an EP Covers of the Damned with tourmates Chiodos, blessthefall, Endless Hallway, and Architects (UK). It was to be released on October 12, but was leaked on the internet on October 9. Atreyu is touring Australia in November with the No Sleep Til Festival playing most locations with Dropkick Murphys, Alkaline Trio, Megadeth and many more. In December, along with Bring Me The Horizon they supported Bullet For My Valentine across the UK.
In a short series of Twitter postings, Singer Alex Varkatzas confirmed that the band was taking a break from touring and recording to "recharge and focus on other parts of our lives." In these same twitter postings Alex also stated that he has been working on a new project with Bleeding Through vocalist Brandan Schieppati called I Am War.
Drummer and vocalist Brandon Saller's side project Hell or Highwater  (formerly named "The Black Cloud Collective") have recorded an album titled "Begin Again" released on August 9th 2011. Saller is solely the lead vocalist in this band, and this album does not feature the same metalcore elements as those of Atreyu, voicing a sound similar to bands such as Avenged Sevenfold and Three Days Grace. The band uses only clean vocals.
- Current members
- Alex Varkatzas — lead vocals (1998–2011)
- Brandon Saller — drums, percussion, lead vocals (1998–2011)
- Dan Jacobs — lead guitar, backing vocals (1998–2011)
- Travis Miguel — rhythm guitar (2000–2011)
- Marc McKnight — bass guitar, backing vocals (2004–2011)
- Former members
- Tim Brooks — bass (2003)
- Chris Thompson — bass (2001–2003)
- Kyle Stanley — bass (1998–2001)
- Bryan O'Donnell — bass (1998)
- Studio albums
- Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses (2002)
- The Curse (2004)
- A Death-Grip on Yesterday (2006)
- Lead Sails Paper Anchor (2007)
- Congregation of the Damned (2009)
- ^ Shoegazer ross. "LAMB OF GOD — Burn The Priest". Metal Express Radio. http://www.metalexpressradio.com/menu.php?main=reviews&id=1013. Retrieved May 6, 2008.
- ^ "Atreyu : Linkin Park Tell How Busta Rhymes Invited Himself Along For Projekt Revolution 2008 - Rhapsody Music Downloads". VH1.com. http://www.vh1.com/artists/news/1589723/20080620/atreyu.jhtml. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- ^ a b Torreano, Bradley hye hye. Atreyu. Allmusic. Accessed December 8, 2007.
- ^ Taylor, Jason D. Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses review. Allmusic: 2002
- ^ Phares, Heather. Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Allmusic: 2005.
- ^ Hasty, Katie (August 5, 2006). "T.I. Rules As 'King' of Album Chart". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/search/google/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002312492. Retrieved Jan. 24, 2008.
- ^ Prato, Greg. A Death Grip on Yesterday. Allmusic: 2006
- ^ "Atreyu — A Death Grip on Yesterday Review". music.ign.com. http://music.ign.com/articles/702/702041p1.html. Retrieved Sept. 11, 2007.
- ^ Atreyu: New Album Details Revealed. Blabbermouth.net: June 20, 2007.
- ^ Cohen, Jonthan (September 5, 2007). "'High School Musical 2' Starts Third Week At No. 1". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003635057. Retrieved Jan. 24, 2008.
- ^ a b c ATREYU To Release 'Congregation Of The Damned' In October July 31, 2009
- ^ "Atreyu at New York State Fairgrounds, Syracuse, NY Setlist on August 8, 2009". Setlist.fm. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/atreyu/2009/new-york-state-fairgrounds-syracuse-ny-43d7b767.html. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
- ^ http://twitter.com/#!/atreyuofficial/status/25639485068804096
- ^ http://twitter.com/#!/atreyuofficial/status/25639908332806144
- ^ Duncan, Michael (January 13, 2011). "Atreyu Go on Hiatus". Rock Edition. http://www.rockedition.com/news/atreyu-go-on-hiatus/. Retrieved Jan. 13, 2011.
- ^ "Hell or Highwater". Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/HellorHighwaterofficial. Retrieved 2011-09-10.
EPs Compilations Singles Tribute albumsString Quartet Tribute to Atreyu Record labels Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.