- Natascha McElhone
Natascha McElhone Born Natasha Abigail Taylor
14 December 1969 
Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Nationality British Occupation Actress Years active 1990–present Spouse Dr. Martin Hirigoyen Kelly (1998–2008 (widowed)) Children 3 sons
Natascha McElhone (born 14 December 1969) is an English actress of stage, screen and television, best known for her roles in Ronin, The Truman Show and Solaris. McElhone also plays a leading role in the Showtime series Californication.
McElhone was born Natascha Taylor in Surrey, to Irish parents who were both journalists. She took the maiden name of her mother, Noreen, as her stage name. McElhone has a script writer brother Damon who lives in Los Angeles, and two half brothers Alexander and Nicholas, who live in Stockholm. Her parents separated when she was two and her Irish mother subsequently moved the family to Brighton and later married journalist and columnist Roy Greenslade. She and her family now live in Ireland and Brighton.
McElhone took lessons in Irish dancing from ages six to twelve, and was educated at St. Mary's Hall School for Girls, an independent boarding school in Brighton, East Sussex, after which she graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art in 1993.
McElhone began her career in the theatre, including starring in Richard III in Regent's Park, The Count of Monte Cristo and The Cherry Orchard at the Haymarket Theatre, Leicester; and in Midsummer Night's Dream at the Open Air Theatre. McElhone made her television debut in the BBC's Bergerac in 1991, and was seen in an episode of Absolutely Fabulous in 1992.
McElhone made her film debut in 1996's Surviving Picasso with Anthony Hopkins. In the same year she was seen in the Dennis Potter TV mini-series Karaoke. Although she has made relatively few films, her most successful to date has been 1998's The Truman Show with Jim Carrey. She had leading roles opposite Brad Pitt in The Devil's Own, Robert De Niro in Ronin and George Clooney in Solaris.
In 2005, she co-starred in the NBC miniseries Revelations with actor Bill Pullman. She starred in a 2006 West End production of Honour at the Wyndham's Theatre alongside Diana Rigg and Martin Jarvis. She then accepted a leading role in the Showtime cable television series Californication as Karen, alongside David Duchovny.
McElhone married plastic surgeon Dr. Martin Hirigoyen Kelly on 19 May 1998. The couple lived in Fulham, West London, with their two sons: Theodore (born 2000) and Otis (born May 2003); their third son, Rex, was born five months after Kelly's death, in October 2008.
On 20 May 2008, 43-year-old Kelly was found slumped in the doorway of the family home by a fellow doctor. He was rushed to Chelsea and Westminster Hospital (where he worked) but could not be revived. He died one day after their tenth wedding anniversary. A post-mortem exam revealed the cause of death to have been dilated cardiomyopathy.
After the sudden death of her husband, McElhone continued to write letters to him, sometimes documenting the daily trivia of life but also dealing with how she and their young children were coping with the loss. These letters and diary entries formed the basis of her book After You: Letters of Love, and Loss, to a Husband and Father. The book was published in July 2010. (The book is simply titled After You in the Kindle edition-UK version only.)
List of film works Title Year Role Notes Surviving Picasso 1996 Françoise Gilot The Devil's Own 1997 Megan Doherty Mrs Dalloway 1997 Young Clarissa The Truman Show 1998 Lauren/Sylvia What Rats Won't Do 1998 Kate Beckenham Ronin 1998 Deirdre Love's Labour's Lost 2000 Rosaline Contaminated Men 2000 Holly Anderson Laurel Canyon 2002 Sara FeardotCom 2002 Terry Huston Killing Me Softly 2002 Deborah City of Ghosts 2002 Sophie Solaris 2002 Rheya Ladies in Lavender 2004 Olga Daniloff Guy X 2005 Sgt. Irene Teal Big Nothing 2006 Penelope Wood The Secret of Moonacre 2008 Loveday Blessed 2008 Lou The Kid 2010 Gloria Heaven and Earth 2012 James Miranda Barry in production Carpet Boy 2012 Jackie in production List of television works Year Title Role Notes The Ruth Rendell Mysteries 1990 Helen Blake Episode: An Unkindness of Ravens (1)
Episode: An Unkindness of Ravens (2)
Bergerac 1991 Louise Calder Episode: Snow in Provence Absolutely Fabulous 1994 Art Gallery Assistant Episode: Death Minder 1994 Vanessa Episode: All Quiet on the West End Front Cadfael 1994 Cecily Corde Episode: The Sanctuary Sparrow A Breed of Heroes 1994 Janet TV film Karaoke 1996 Angie TV serial Cold Lazarus 1996 Angie TV serial The Other Boleyn Girl 2003 Mary Boleyn TV film Revelations 2005 Sister Josepha Montafiore TV miniseries The Company 2007 Elizabet Nemeth TV miniseries Californication 2007–present Karen van der Beek 10 Minute Tales 2009 Woman TV short film
Segment: Deep & Crisp & Even
Thorne: Sleepyhead 2010 Anne Coburn
Year Title Role Notes 2010 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Marie Belmont
Awards and nominations
- 2003: Nominated, "Best Actress" – Solaris
- 2003: Nominated, "Best Actress in a Film" – Solaris
- 1999: Nominated, "Best Action Sequence" – Ronin (shared w/Robert De Niro)
- 2005: Nominated, "Outstanding Actress in a Miniseries or a Motion Picture Made for Television" – Revelations
- ^ a b Births England and Wales 1837–2006
- ^ a b Ancestry.com. England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916–2005 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008. Original data: General Register Office. England and Wales Civil Registration Indexes. London, England: General Register Office.
- ^ Interview, 10 October 2009, Irish Times
- ^ http://www.filmreference.com/film/4/Natascha-McElhone.html
- ^ Greenslade, Roy (15 March 2007). "Comedy role for X-Files star Duchovny". The Guardian (London). http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/greenslade/2007/03/comedy_role_for_xfiles_star_du.html. Retrieved 19 May 2010.
- ^ "Natascha McElhone Welcomes Third Child". http://www.celebrity-babies.com/2008/10/natascha-mcelho.html. Retrieved 8 January 2009.
- ^ Booth, Jenny (21 May 2008). "Natascha McElhone's plastic surgeon husband dies at couple's home". The Times (UK). http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3975839.ece. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- ^ "Surgeon husband of pregnant actress Natascha McElhone is found dead on his doorstep". Daily Mail. UK. 21 May 2008. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1020856/Surgeon-husband-pregnant-actress-Natascha-McElhone-dead-doorstep.html. Retrieved 21 May 2008.
- ^ Rudd, Andy (23 May 2008). "Natascha McElhone's surgeon husband Martin Kelly died from a heart condition". Daily Mirror. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/23/natascha-mcelhone-s-surgeon-husband-martin-kelly-died-from-a-heart-condition-89520-20427290/. Retrieved 30 May 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.