- Doppelgänger (Daniel Amos album)
Doppelgänger Studio album by Daniel Amos Released 1983 Recorded Whitefield Studios
(Santa Ana, California)
Genre Rock / New Wave Label Alarma! Records Producer Daniel Amos Professional reviews Daniel Amos chronology ¡Alarma!
Doppelgänger was a much darker, more haunting album than the album that preceded it, ¡Alarma!. The album starts with the eerie backward sounds of "Hollow Man" (inspired by T. S. Eliot's poem, The Hollow Men). Taylor's lyrics to "I Didn't Build it For Me", "Autographs for the Sick", and "New Car" were sharp attacks on televangelists, that actually predate the Jimmy Swaggart/Jim Bakker/Robert Tilton scandals by nearly a decade.
Doppelgänger was the second of a four part series of albums by DA entitled The ¡Alarma! Chronicles, which also included the albums ¡Alarma!, Vox Humana, and Fearful Symmetry. The band raised eyebrows on the tour that followed each release, by presenting a full multimedia event complete with video screens synchronized to the music, something that was unusual in the early 1980s for any band. This album, along with the other three albums from the Alarma! Chronicles, was rereleased as part of the Alarma! Chronicles Book set in 2000. The Book Set included 3 CDs, over 200 pages of lyrics, photos, liner notes, essays, interviews and other information in a hardcover book.
- "Hollow Man" (Taylor)
- "Mall (All Over The World)" (Taylor)
- "Real Girls" (Taylor, Chamberlain)
- "New Car!" (Taylor)
- "Do Big Boys Cry" (Taylor)
- "Youth With A Machine" (Taylor)
- "The Double" (Taylor)
- "Distance and Direction" (Taylor)
- "Memory Lane" (Taylor)
- "Angels Tuck You In" (Taylor)
- "Little Crosses" (Chamberlain)
- "Autographs for the Sick" (Words by Taylor, Music by Taylor, Chamberlain, Chandler)
- "I Didn't Build It For Me" (Words by Taylor, Music by Taylor, Chamberlain)
- "Here I Am" (Taylor)
- "Hollow Man (Reprise)" (Taylor)
- Terry Scott Taylor – rhythm guitars and lead vocals.
- Jerry Chamberlain – lead guitars, vocals, lead vocal on "Little Crosses", spoken lead vocal on "Autographs For The Sick".
- Tim Chandler – bass guitar.
- Ed McTaggart – drums.
- Tom Howard – Keyboards
- Mark Cook – Keyboards
- Marty Dieckmeyer – Keyboards
- Jeff Lams – Keyboards
- Rob Watson – Keyboards.
- Bill Colton – Saxophone
- Alex MacDougall percussion.
- Background vocals provided by Randy Stonehill, Tom Howard, Derri Daugherty, Janet McTaggart, Dori Howard, Mark Cook, The Three Women from Istanbul, and Emilia Emulator.
- Engineered by Thom Roy.
- Second Engineer – Derri Daugherty.
- Recorded and Mixed at Whitefield Studios, Santa Ana, California.
- Mastered at MCA Whitney by Steve Hall.
- Rehearsals and Arrangements Recorded at the Rebel Base, Santa Ana.
- Album Art Concepts Terry Taylor, Derrill Bazzy and Phillip Mangano.
- Photography – Derrill Bazzy and Bonnie Ferguson.
- Art Direction – Derrill Bazzy.
- Keyboards arranged by Taylor/Chamberlain/Howard.
- 1992 CD Reissue Digitally Remastered by Doug Doyle.
- CD Repackaging by Tom Gulotta and Court Patton, Patton Brothers Design.
- Project Coordinator: Tom Gulotta
Former members Production & Art Direction Studio albums Live Albums Related Articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.