- Carbondale, Indiana
Carbondale — Unincorporated town — Coordinates: 40°21′36″N 87°20′51″W / 40.36°N 87.3475°WCoordinates: 40°21′36″N 87°20′51″W / 40.36°N 87.3475°W Country United States State Indiana County Warren Township Liberty Elevation 689 ft (210 m) Time zone EST (UTC-5) – Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4) ZIP code 47993 Area code(s) 765 GNIS feature ID 0432124
Carbondale is an unincorporated community in Liberty Township, Warren County, Indiana, United States.
This place had a post office and was known as Clark's Cross Roads at least as early as 1846; later it was called Free Hall. The discovery of coal in the town's vicinity led to the current name being applied in 1873. The first house was built here in 1854 by John Thompson; another was built the next year by Andrew Brier, and a church was constructed in 1867.
Carbondale is located just east of the intersection of U.S. Route 41 and Indiana State Road 63, about 6 miles north-northwest of the county seat of Williamsport. The scenic Big Pine Creek flows about a mile and a half east of town.
- ^ a b c "USGS detail on Carbondale". http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:432124. Retrieved 2007-09-28.
- ^ A History of Warren County, Indiana (175th Anniversary Edition). Warren County Historical Society. 2002. p. 42.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L.; Carmony, Marvin (1975). Indiana Place Names. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. p. 24.
- ^ Clifton, Thomas, ed (1913). Past and Present of Fountain and Warren Counties Indiana. Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen and Company. p. 325. http://www.archive.org/stream/pastpresentoffou01clif#page/594/mode/2up.
Municipalities and communities of Warren County, Indiana Towns Townships Unincorporated
Carbondale | Foster | Green Hill | Hedrick | Independence | Johnsonville | Judyville | Kramer | Marshfield | Pence | Rainsville | Stewart | Tab | Winthrop
Baltimore | Brisco | Chatterton | Chesapeake | Dresser | Kickapoo | Locust Grove | Point Pleasant | Sloan | Walnut Grove | WarrentonCategories:
- Unincorporated communities in Indiana
- Populated places in Warren County, Indiana
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.