- One Time (song)
"One Time" Single by Justin Bieber from the album My World Released May 18, 2009
(see release history)
Format CD single, digital download Recorded 2009; Triangle Sound Studios
The Boom Boom Room
Genre Pop, R&B Length 3:23 Label Island, RBMG Writer(s) Terius "The-Dream" Nash, James Bunton, Corron Cole, Thabiso Nkhereanye Producer Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, Kuk Harrell, James Bunton, Corron Cole, Thabiso Nkhereanye Justin Bieber singles chronology "One Time"
"One Less Lonely Girl"
"One Time" is the debut song of Canadian recording artist Justin Bieber. The song was produced and written by RedZone Entertainment's Christopher "Tricky" Stewart, Terius "The-Dream" Nash, and Kuk Harrell and production duo The Movement. It is the first single released from his debut EP, My World. It was first solicited to mainstream and rhythmic radio on May 18, 2009. It was released via digital download in the United States and Canada on July 7, 2009, and was released in several other countries during autumn 2009. An acoustic version of the song, called the "My Heart Edition" was released to iTunes on December 22, 2009. The song, moderately paced with R&B, pop, and hip-hop influences, is an ode to young love.
The song received positive reviews from critics, commending its production, vocals and quality of lyrics. The song was a commercial success, reaching the top twenty in Canada, US, Germany, United Kingdom, France and New Zealand and also charted in several other countries. The single has been certified Platinum in Canada and the United States. The accompanying music video portrays Bieber at a house party, and features his mentor, Usher and hometown friend, Ryan Butler. As of January 2010, the video had been viewed over 100 million times on the internet. The video is now the fifth most viewed video in YouTube history. Bieber performed the song in a number of live appearances including The Dome, The Next Star, and Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest.
The song was written for Bieber by veteran American hip-hop/R&B producers Christopher "Tricky" Stewart. Terius "The-Dream" Nash, and Kuk Harrell for their RedZone Entertainment, as his debut single. Before they produced and wrote Bieber's debut they had recently did hits such as Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)", Mariah Carey's "Obsessed", Fabolous's "Throw It In the Bag" and more. "One Time" was produced by Stewart and production duo The Movement, while Harrell provided vocal mixing. The Movement also received writing credits for the song as did Thabiso Nkhereanye. Bieber recorded the song at RedZone's Triangle Sound Studios in Savannah, Georgia a few hours away from Bieber's current home of Atlanta, Georgia. Bieber also recorded some of the track at The Boom Boom Room in Burbank, California. Mixing was done in Atlanta at Silent Sound Studios by Dave Pensado and Jaycen-Joshua Fowler.
"One Time" is described to be in a "moderately slow groove". Washington Post called the track, along with 'Love Me' "modest club tracks." About.com described it as a "solid midtempo beat." The song is composed in the key of C♯ minor. The song is moderately paced, and the introduction and outro are sung in a sing-and-tell format with Bieber repetitively voicing the line "Me plus you/Imma tell you one time." The verses are sung with backing R&B infused bass beats with a light string background in the same moderate pace before the bridge prepares for the refrain through the lines "Your world is my world/My fight is your fight/My breath is your breath/And your heart." Bieber goes into the middle eight the backing is not as much indistinguishable from the rest of the song, but is delivered a little slower leading up to the chorus and outro.
Bill Lamb of About.com called the song a "perfect kickoff to the career of Justin Bieber", noting the song had an effect of a younger Chris Brown, commended the production of The-Dream and Tricky Stewart for making the single contemporary and commercial. However Lamb criticized the song for being too "generic", and that Bieber had little room to show his voice. Billboard's Michael Menachem called the song "a hallmark pop song that also taps into a prevalent teen hip-hop aesthetic". He also compared Bieber to Brown on the track, and said that "[Bieber's] tenor brings to mind [Brown's] vocal debut on "Run It!" in 2005, when he, too, was 15 and on the cusp of stardom". Unlike Lamb, Menachem said the song gave Bieber's vocals plenty of room to shine as he confidently breaks into the chorus. Leah Greenblat of Entertainment Weekly named the song one of the hottest songs of fall of 2009, saying that Bieber's "pop-soul bonafides with this refreshingly age-appropriate chronicle of young love."
The song entered at number ninety-five on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of July 25, 2009. The song stayed on the chart for nearly six months before eventually peaking at number seventeen on the chart. Although the song didn't gain momentum until the near end of 2009, it managed to chart at number eighty-nine on the 2009 Billboard Year-End Hot 100, and eighty-one on the Year-End Canadian Hot 100. It was also number seventy-five on the Year End Hot Digital Singles. After lying dormant outside the top twenty for a few weeks, on the week labeled January 9, 2010, due to the release of "One Time: My Heart Edition" on iTunes, and increased sales of My World, the song made a thirty spot jump from forty-seven to number seventeen, reaching a new peak on the chart. The song debuted on the Billboard Pop chart at number eighty-four as the highest debut of the week. It has since peaked at number fourteen. It reached number twelve in Canada, where it remained on the chart for twenty consecutive weeks. The single was certified Platinum in Canada by CRIA in September 2009. It was certified Platinum by the RIAA in the United States in January 2010, selling over a million copies. As of February 2011, the single was sold 2,132,000 times.
The song has also achieved international success. It debuted in Belgium (Flanders) at twenty-six and peaked at twelve on the bubbling under chart, equivalent to peaking at sixty-two on the main chart. It debuted on the Belgium (Wallonia) tip chart at twenty-six in its first week, the week ending January 16, 2010, and has since peaked at six, equivalent to peaking at forty-four on the main chart. The song debuted in Austria at seventy-one on the week of September 4, 2009, and peaked at thirty, remaining on the chart for eleven weeks. "One Time" debuted at fourteen in Germany, which became its peak position on the chart. The song debuted in Australia at number eighty-two and later reached a peak of twenty-three. In Ireland the song debuted at forty-five on the Irish Singles Chart. It has since peaked at thirty-one on the chart. The song debuted on the UK Singles Chart at 135, and jumped to fourteen on January 10, 2010. A week later on January 17, 2010, the song jumped again to number eleven, just missing out on the top ten. The song peaked at number six in New Zealand, and at thirteen in France.
The music video, directed by Vashtie Kola, was posted by Bieber on his YouTube channel on June 13, 2009, almost a month before the single was released to iTunes. Bieber's mentor, Usher and one of his closest friends, Ryan Butler make appearances in the video. It features Bieber clad in a grey hooded sweatshirt grinning mischievously into the camera. As of January 2010, the video had been viewed over 100 millon times on the internet. Bieber made a comment stating "It was really cool going from my webcam to professional videos". In a review of the video Entertainment Weekly's Leah Greenblat said: "Bieber does seem to share many of the qualities that made his idols the pop/R&B superstars they've become, including a clear, supple voice, pinup-boy looks, and bona fide instrument skills".
In the music video, Usher, Bieber and Butler all portray themselves as the latter two are at Usher's house playing video games. Bieber receives a phone call from Usher, in which he asks him if could he watch the house until he gets back. After agreeing, Bieber holds a house party and tries to get close to one girl in particular, played by Kristen Rodeheaver, but is disappointed because he thought they were bonding but at the end of the video when they are sitting together at the pool, she kisses him on the cheek, then leaves. He then stands up and gets caught by Usher.
Bieber is performing the song currently on his promotional tour throughout the United States. Internationally, he appeared on the European program The Dome and performed "One Time". As far as televised performances go, he performed "One Time" on MTV's VMA Tour to precede the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards, September 26, 2009, on YTV's The Next Star, and on the Today Show. He also performed the song on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on November 3, 2009; Good Morning America on November 15, 2009; Lopez Tonight on November 17, 2009, and The Wendy Williams Show on November 27, 2009. The song was Bieber's ending number while on his two-show stint as an opening act for Taylor Swift's Fearless Tour. On November 23, 2009, while performing in London on the tour, Bieber fractured his foot at the beginning of performing this song during a London concert, but continued to perform/limp the rest of the song. He was able to perform on stage the next night in Manchester, with a cast and limited dancing. After the televised appearances, the Urban Behavior Tour, and Fearless Tour, Bieber traveled in Europe to promote the album before returning to the US to resume his promotional tour. Bieber performed the song in Las Vegas for Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest on December 31, 2009. While promoting the album in the United Kingdom, Bieber performed an acoustic rendition of "One Time" and a drum solo on BBC's Blue Peter on January 12, 2010. He performed it on CBS' The Early Show as a part of their 2010 Super Bowl programming. Bieber performed the song at a concert at the Hollywood Palladium, and August Brown of the Los Angeles Times commented, "'One Time', helmed by white-hot producer Christopher 'Tricky' Stewart, is an endearing, swaggering little thing in which Bieber convincingly jumps from Usher’s rapid-fire runs to pristine pop harmonies."
My Heart Edition
Originally, an acoustic version of "One Time" was set to be released on iTunes on October 27, 2009. However plans were changed, and a week before the release, Bieber announced that a new song, "Love Me" would be released. Bieber later on announced on December 19, 2009, that an "exclusive unplugged Christmas [sic] version" of "One Time" would be released to iTunes the following Tuesday. The song was released a day early on December 21, 2009. The cover art for the single features a still from the music video from "One Less Lonely Girl". Kyle Anderson of MTV stated that the song "strips away the original track's synths and technology and leaves only Bieber's able voice". Bieber performed the acoustic version of the song when he guest starred on True Jackson, VP, during a live session with MTV, and on Blue Peter. It is featured on the Radio Disney Jams, Vol. 12 album.
Charts and certifications
Chart (2009–2010) Peak
Australian Singles Chart 23 Austrian Singles Chart 30 Belgian Singles Chart (Flanders) 62 Belgian Singles Chart (Wallonia) 44 Brazilian Hot 100 Airplay 70 Canadian Hot 100 12 European Hot 100 29 French Singles Chart 13 German Singles Chart 14 Irish Singles Chart 31 New Zealand Singles Chart 6 Swedish Singles Chart 55 Swiss Singles Chart 66 UK Singles Chart 11 US Billboard Hot 100 17 US Billboard Pop Songs 14
Region Provider Certification(s) Australia ARIA Gold Canada CRIA Platinum New Zealand RIANZ Gold United States RIAA Platinum
Chart (2009) Position Canadian Hot 100 81 US Billboard Hot 100 89 Year-end Chart (2010) Position Australian Singles Chart 93 European Hot 100 Singles  80
Region Date Format United States May 18, 2009 Mainstream and rhythmic airplay July 7, 2009 Digital download Canada July 7, 2009 United Kingdom January 4, 2010 Digital download
- ^ a b c Lamb, Bill. "Justin Bieber- "One Time"". About.com. http://top40.about.com/od/singles/gr/justinbieberonetime.htm. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- ^ Herrera, Monica (July 19, 2009). ""Time" is right for teen singer Justin Bieber". Reuters. http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSTRE56I2BM20090719. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
- ^ a b c Menachem, Michael. "Justin Bieber, "One Time"". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/news/justin-bieber-one-time-1003999823.story. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- ^ My World digital album booklet via iTunes. Island Records. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- ^ a b "Justin Bieber- One Time". Musicnotes. Alfred Publishing. http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/scorch.asp?ppn=SC0140290. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- ^ Quick Spins:Reviews of albums by Justin Bieber, Clipse, and Animal Collective. The Washington Post.. Retrieved on 2009-12-08
- ^ Greenblatt, Leah (2009-10-02). "Fall's Hottest New Songs". Entertainment Weekly. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20309498,00.html. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- ^ a b "Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/news/justin-bieber-the-billboard-cover-story-1004074692.story#/song/justin-bieber/one-time/14044058. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ a b c d "Billboard Year-End Singles Chart". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts-year-end/hot-100-songs?year=2009&begin=81&order=position. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ "Ke$ha Controls Hot 100 Summit For A Second Week". Billboard. 2009-12-31. http://www.billboard.com/news/ke-ha-controls-hot-100-summit-for-a-second-1004055965.story#/news/ke-ha-controls-hot-100-summit-for-a-second-1004055965.story. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ "U.S. Airplay Chart". acharts.us. http://acharts.us/us_airplay_top_100/2009/29. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- ^ "One Time profile at Billboard.com". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100#/song/justin-bieber/one-time/14324329. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ a b "Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/news/justin-bieber-the-billboard-cover-story-1004074692.story#/song/justin-bieber/one-time/14044058. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ a b c Anderson, Kyle (2009-09-28). "Justin Bieber Goes Platinum in Canada, Preps Second Single". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1622464/20090928/bieber_justin.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-12-30.
- ^ a b "Justin Bieber RIAA Singles Certification". RIAA. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?table=SEARCH_RESULTS&artist=Justin%20Bieber&format=SINGLE&go=Search&perPage=50. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- ^ http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/74331/week-ending-feb-13-2011-songs-gagas-milestone-hit/
- ^ a b c d "Justin Bieber - One Time Ultratop.be". Ultratop.be. Ultratop and Hung Medien. http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- ^ a b "Austria Singles Chart". Austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. http://www.austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ a b "Musicline.de - Chartverfolgung - Justin Bieber - One Time". musicline.de. PhonoNet GmbH. http://musicline.de/de/chartverfolgung_summary/title/Bieber%2CJustin/One+Time+%282-Track%29/single. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ "ARIA Top 100 Singles – Week Commencing 16th November 2009". Australian Recording Industry Association. Pandora Archive. November 16, 2009. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/23790/20091205-0000/issue1029.pdf. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- ^ a b "Australian Singles Chart". Australian-charts.com. http://www.australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ a b "GFK Chart-Track". GFK. http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/musicvideo/music/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=240001. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- ^ "TOP 100 SINGLES CHART :: CHART WEEK ENDING DATE 16/01/10". The Official UK Charts Company. 2010-01-11. http://www.theofficialcharts.com/top40_singles.php. Retrieved 2010-01-011.
- ^ a b c "Chart Stats - Justin Biber - One Time". Chartstats.com. Chart Stats. http://www.chartstats.com/songinfo.php?id=34707. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ a b "Justin Bieber - One Time lescharts.com". lescharts.com. Hung Medien. http://www.lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- ^ a b "charts.org.nz - Justin Bieber - One Time". charts.org.nz. Hung Medien. http://www.charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ "Va$htie - WORK". Official website of Vashtie Kola. vashtie.com. http://www.vashtie.com/#/work/. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- ^ a b "Justin Bieber: Will 'One Time' make him this summer's underage Romeo?". Entertainment Weekly. 2009-07-08. http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/07/08/justin-bieber-will-one-time-make-him-this-summers-underage-romeo/. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ a b Herrera, Monica (July 20, 2009). "Justin Bieber's 'time' is now". Billboard. billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/justin-bieber-s-time-is-now-1003995323.story#/bbcom/news/justin-bieber-s-time-is-now-1003995323.story. Retrieved 2009-07-31.
- ^ "Leave it to Bieber: 15-year-old taking pop world by storm". CTV. 2010-01-02. http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091231/w5_bieber_100102/20100102?s_name=W5&no_ads=. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- ^ "Justin Bieber performs "One Time" live on mtvU's VMA Tour 2009". MTV.com. 2009-09-09. http://www.mtv.com/videos/misc/434200/one-time-live.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-09-28.
- ^ "The Today Show + Justin Bieber = Awesome". Island DefJam. 2009-09-11. http://www.islanddefjam.com/artist/news_single.aspx?nid=5118&artistID=7342. Retrieved 2009-09-22.
- ^ a b "Justin Bieber Breaks Foot at London Concert". MTV.com. 2009-11-24. http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/11/24/justin-bieber-injury/. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ "Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez sing "One Less Lonely Girl"". DailyContributor. 2010-01-01. http://dailycontributor.com/justin-bieber-and-selena-gomez-sings-one-less-lonely-girl/10113/. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- ^ "Justin Bieber Fever Hits Miami". CBS News.com. 2010-02-05. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/05/earlyshow/leisure/music/main6177327.shtml. Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- ^ Brown, August (2010-02-15). "Live review:Justin Bieber at the Hollywood Palladium". The Los Angeles Times. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/02/live-review-justin-bieber-at-the-hollywood-palladium.html. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- ^ "Justin Bieber on Twitter:New Song..". Twitter. http://twitter.com/justinbieber/status/5025251656. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ "Justin Bieber on Twitter: "Special News..."". Twitter. 2009-12-22. http://twitter.com/justinbieber/status/6834608297. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ a b Anderson, Kyle (2009-12-22). "Justin Bieber Drops Acoustic Version of 'One Time'". MTV.com. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1628698/20091222/bieber_justin.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-12-22.
- ^ "Brasil Hot 100 Airplay" (in portuguese). Billboard Brasil (Brazil: BPP): 86. julho de 2010. ISSN 977-217605400-2.
- ^ "European Hot 100, week of September 26, 2009". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. September 26, 2009. http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/european-hot-100?chartDate=2009-09-26. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- ^ "Irish Recorded Music Association Chart Track". Irish Recorded Music Association. chart-track.co.uk. http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p%2Fmusicvideo%2Fmusic%2Farchive%2Findex_test.jsp&ct=240001&arch=t&lyr=2010&year=2010&week=3. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ "Justin Bieber - One Time Swedishcharts.com". Swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. http://www.swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ "Justin Bieber - One Time Swisscharts.com". Swisscharts.com. Hung Medien. http://swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Justin+Bieber&titel=One+Time&cat=s. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- ^ Justin Bieber "One Time" chart history retrieved 2010-03-13.
- ^ "Justin Bieber AIRA Singles Certification". ARIA. http://www.ariacharts.com.au/pages/charts_display_singles.asp?chart=1U50. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- ^ "Justin Bieber RIANZ Singles Certification week commencing Monday March 29, 2010.". RIANZ. http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/chart.asp. Retrieved 2010-03-31.
- ^ "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2010". Australian Recording Industry Association. http://www.aria.com.au/pages/aria-charts-end-of-year-charts-top-100-singles-2010.htm. Retrieved 2011-01-08.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/charts-year-end/european-hot-100-singles?year=2010#/charts-year-end/european-hot-100-singles?year=2010
- ^ "Available for Airplay". FMQB. http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=69239. Retrieved 2010-02-01.
Justin Bieber Discography · Awards and nominations Studio albumsMy World 2.0 · Under the Mistletoe · Believe Extended plays Compilation albums Remix albumsMy Worlds Acoustic · Never Say Never – The Remixes Singles Featured singles"We Are the World 25 for Haiti" · "Wavin' Flag" · "Eenie Meenie" · "Next 2 You" Other songs Tours FilmographySchool Gyrls · Justin Bieber: Never Say Never Related articles Book · Category · Portal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.