- Midwest MU-1
MU-1 Role Glider National origin United States Designer Art Schultz Status No longer in production Primary user United States Army Air Corps Number built at least 6 Variants Schultz ABC
Design and development
The MU-1 was constructed with a welded steel tube fuselage and a wooden-framed wings, all covered in doped aircraft fabric covering. The wing was of 36 ft (11.0 m) span, employed a NACA 4412 airfoil and was supported by two parallel struts with jury struts. Landing gear was a fixed monowheel.
- Standard model with 36 ft (11.0 m) wingspan and 172 sq ft (16.0 m2) wing area
- MU-1 long-wing
- Version with a longer span, double-tapered wing of similar wing area. This model may have been a proposal only as completed examples have not been confirmed.
- Schultz ABC
- Developed from the MU-1, the ABC has a longer wingspan and higher glide ratio. It won the 1937 Eaton Design Competition
- Crew: one
- Wingspan: 36 ft 0 in (10.97 m)
- Wing area: 172 sq ft (16.0 m2)
- Aspect ratio: 7.5:1
- Airfoil: NACA 4412
- Empty weight: 323 lb (147 kg)
- Gross weight: 513 lb (233 kg)
- Never exceed speed: 80 mph (70 kn; 130 km/h)
- Maximum glide ratio: 15:1 at 36 mph (58 km/h)
- Rate of sink: 174 ft/min (0.88 m/s) at 30 mph (48 km/h)
- Wing loading: 3 lb/sq ft (15 kg/m²)
- Related lists
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Said, Bob: 1983 Sailplane Directory, Soaring Magazine, page 61, Soaring Society of America November 1983. USPS 499-920
- ^ Aerofiles (June 2011). "Designations". http://www.aerofiles.com/desig-rz.html. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- ^ a b c Federal Aviation Administration (October 1944). "Type Certificate data Sheet, Midwest Sailplane". http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/8f99dfab7440681a85256744005a6277/$FILE/ATTPPV7W/GTC16.pdf. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- ^ Federal Aviation Administration (June 2011). "Make / Model Inquiry Results". http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/AcftRef_Results.aspx?Mfrtxt=&Modeltxt=MU-1&PageNo=1. Retrieved 23 June 2011.
Art Schultz aircraft Civil aircraft designationsABC · MU-1 · Nucleon USAAC aircraft designationsTG-16 · TG-18 USAAC/USAAF glider aircraft designations Assault Glider
AG-1 • AG-2
Bomb Glider Cargo Glider Fuel Glider Powered Glider Training Glider Lists relating to aviation General Military Accidents/incidents Records
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.