- Chesapeake High School (Anne Arundel County)
Chesapeake Senior High School Established 1976 Type Public Secondary Principal Frank Drazan Students 1,908 Grades 9–12 Location Pasadena, Maryland,, USA District Anne Arundel County Public Schools Campus Suburban Colors School - Blue and Gold -- Athletic - Columbia Blue, Navy Blue, and White Mascot Cougar Rival Northeast High School Newspaper Paw Prints
Chesapeake Senior High School, Anne Arundel County (CHS) is one of two high schools in Maryland by that name. The other is the Chesapeake High School of Baltimore County, Although, the school in Baltimore County is strictly Chesapeake High and does not include Senior in its name as does Chesapeake Senior High in Anne Arundel County. It opened in 1976 and serves students in grades 9-12. The school serves the local feeder system, encompassing Chesapeake Bay Middle school and the respective six elementary schools that feed into it. The school is two floors and includes a football field, several soccer and other athletic fields, and a variety of gymnasiums, and including a smaller dance studio.
There are a variety of sports teams at Chesapeake, with both varsity and junior varsity teams, all part of the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association. They include:
- Men's Basketball
- Women's Basketball
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey
- Indoor Track and Field
- Men's Lacrosse
- Women's Lacrosse
- Marching Band
- Men's Soccer
- Women's Soccer
- Track and Field
- Nic Kipke, current District 31 representative to the Maryland House of Delegates.
- Frederick H. Bealefeld III, current Police Commissioner of the Baltimore Police Department.
- Jennifer Hurt- Playboy Cybergirl February and June 2007.
- Victoria L. Schade, former member of Maryland House of Delegates
- Nick Hovaker, current goalkeeper for the Baltimore Blast
- Kenneth Browning, current professional wrestler competing as JD "Bam Bam" Roberts
- Patrick Thompson, Current bassist for the band "Alesana"
- Cpl. Jason David Mileo, India Company of the 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, Twenty-Nine Palms, Calif. Killed in Iraq April 14, 2003.
- Army Pfc. Eric M. Kavanagh, assigned to 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Schweinfurt, Germany, KIA in Baghdad, Iraq, September 20, 2006.
Programs to Note
- The school hosts a distinguished Advanced Placement (AP) program which encompasses a variety of subjects including Statistics, Music Theory, and Calculus.
- The English Department has 3 production based classes that provide services to the school, Yearbook, Literary Magazine, and Newspaper.
- CHS operates in cooperation with the Center Of Applied Technology- North to provide career training.
- Chesapeake is the home of the ED Regional program, the special education center for northern Anne Arundel County including Intensity-V, Inclusion-V, and the Hannah Moore Program.
Chesapeake High School In The News
- In October 2007, Chesapeake High School was listed as one of four high schools in Anne Arundel County that had outbreaks of staph infections. 28 cases of the infection have also been reported at Severna Park High School, Glen Burnie High School, and Old Mill High School.
- In February 2008, Chesapeake parents began an organization (CEEDSS) to protest a special education program, known as CRP or the Chesapeake Regional Program, that has been in the school since 1990, but according to parents has been disruptive to education and concealed by administration.
- High schools in Maryland
- Schools in Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.