Conta Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Actinopterygii Order: Siluriformes Family: Erethistidae Genus: Conta
Distribution and habitat
C. conta is distributed in the Ganges and Brahmaputra drainages, India and Bangladesh. C. conta is also listed to originate from Bhareli and Mahananda Rivers, northeast Bengal, Garo Hills, Meghalaya; and Bangladesh; and also Sarda River, Uttar Pradesh. C. pectinata originates from the Middle Brahmaputra River basin, Assam, India.
C. conta occurs in rocky streams at the bases of hills.
Conta can be distinguished from all other erethistids by the presence of a very long and narrow adhesive apparatus on its thorax about six times as it is long. It also has extremely narrow gill openings, a slender body, a serrated anterior margin on the dorsal fin spine, a papillate upper lip, and 9–10 anal fin rays. The eyes are small and located dorsolaterally. There is villiform (brush-like) teeth in both jaws. The pectoral fin spine is serrated anteriorly and posteriorly.
C. conta reaches about 8 centimetres (3 in) TL. C. pectinata grows to about 5 cm (2 in) SL. C. pectinata differs from C. conta in that it has a longer and more slender caudal peduncle and in having anteriorly-directed serrations (instead of antrorse or distally-directed serrations) the anterior edge of the pectoral fin spine.
- ^ a b c Thomson, Alfred W.; Page, Lawrence M. (2006). "Genera of the Asian Catfish Families Sisoridae and Erethistidae (Teleostei: Siluriformes)" (PDF). Zootaxa 1345: 1–96. http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2006f/zt01345p096.pdf.
- ^ Ferraris, Carl J., Jr. (2007). "Checklist of catfishes, recent and fossil (Osteichthyes: Siluriformes), and catalogue of siluriform primary types" (PDF). Zootaxa 1418: 1–628. http://silurus.acnatsci.org/ACSI/library/biblios/2007_Ferraris_Catfish_Checklist.pdf.
- ^ a b Ng, Heok Hee (March 2005). "Conta pectinata, a new erethistid catfish (Teleostei: Erethistidae) from northeast India" (PDF). Ichthyol. Explor. Freshwaters 16 (1): 23–28. http://www.pfeil-verlag.de/04biol/pdf/ief16_1_03.pdf.
- ^ a b Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2007). "Conta conta" in FishBase. June 2007 version.
- ^ Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2007). "Conta pectinata" in FishBase. June 2007 version.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.