- Mornington, Victoria
Population: 20,821 (2006) Established: 1850 Postcode: 3931 Area: 13.5 km² (5.2 sq mi) Location: LGA: Shire of Mornington Peninsula State District: Mornington Federal Division: Dunkley, Flinders Suburbs around Mornington: Mount Eliza Baxter Port Phillip Mornington Moorooduc Mount Martha Mornington
Mornington is a sea side town on the Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia, located 57 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district. It is in the Local Government Area of the Shire of Mornington Peninsula.
Mornington is known for its "village" atmosphere and its beautiful beaches. Mornington is a popular tourist destination with Melburnians who often make day trips to visit the area's bay beaches and wineries.
The town centre runs into the foreshore area and local beach.
The Post Office opened on 21 May 1856 as Schnapper Point and was renamed Mornington in 1864.
An earthquake measuring 4.5 on the Richter scale struck the town on September 2, 1932 associated with the nearby Selwyn fault. No injuries or major damage was reported.
The town centre runs into the foreshore area and local beach, which features a yacht club, restaurant and park with playground facilities.
Mornington is an attractive destination for shopping and features some excellent restaurants and cafes. The north of Mornington is also home to several horse breeders and stables.
Mornington is served by two major roadways, the Nepean Highway and Moorooduc Highway. The Peninsula Link is planned as part of the 2008 Victorian Government Transport Plan.
The Melbourne bus routes 781, 784, 785, and 788 services the area.
The Mornington railway line closed in 1981 and reopened in 1991 as the heritage Mornington Railway with the aims of restoring the line in future. Trains leave from Frankston about 14 kilometres away which run to Melbourne and other suburbs.
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Mornington Peninsula Nepean Football League.
Mornington has a horse racing club, the Mornington Racing Club, which schedules around twenty race meetings a year including the Mornington Cup meeting in February.
Golfers play at the course of the Mornington Country Golf Club on Tallis Drive.
Mornington has a strong Field Hockey club competing in the Victorian Hockey League known as the Mornington Peninsula Falcons
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Mornington (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=SSC21473&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-10-01.
- ^ Premier Postal History, Post Office List, https://www.premierpostal.com/cgi-bin/wsProd.sh/Viewpocdwrapper.p?SortBy=VIC&country=, retrieved 2008-04-11
- ^ For a personal account of Mornington in the period 1940-1960, see Fergus Macdonald, Growing Up in Paradise, 2008. ISBN 978-0-646-49737-2
- ^ Country Racing Victoria, Mornington Racing Club, http://www.countryracing.com.au/index.php?option=com_club_info&club=32&Itemid=80, retrieved 2009-05-07 [dead link]
- ^ Golf Select, Mornington, http://www.golfselect.com.au/armchair/courseView.aspx?course_id=300, retrieved 2009-05-11
Mornington and its surrounding suburbs have many schools on offer including Mt Eliza Secondary College, Mornington Secondary College, Padua College, Toorak College and The Peninsula School.
The local schools are quite successful in state sporting competitions, especially Mt Eliza Secondary College who are back to back state hockey champions.
- Mornington, Victoria is at coordinates 38°13′23″S 145°02′24″E / 38.223°S 145.04°ECoordinates: 38°13′23″S 145°02′24″E / 38.223°S 145.04°E
Suburbs of the Shire of Mornington Peninsula | Victoria
Arthurs Seat · Balnarring · Balnarring Beach · Baxter · Bittern · Blairgowrie · Boneo · Cape Schanck · Crib Point · Dromana · Fingal · Flinders · Hastings · HMAS Cerberus · McCrae · Main Ridge · Merricks · Merricks Beach · Merricks North · Moorooduc · Mornington · Mount Eliza · Mount Martha · Point Leo · Portsea · Red Hill · Red Hill South · Rosebud · Rosebud West · Rye · Safety Beach · Shoreham · Somers · Somerville · Sorrento · St Andrews Beach · Tootgarook · Tuerong · TyabbCategories:
- Suburbs of Melbourne
- Mornington Peninsula
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.