- Double Take (Petra album)
Double Take Studio album by Petra Released February 29, 2000 Genre Christian rock Length 51:55 Label Word Records
Producer John & Dino Elefante Petra chronology God Fixation
Double Take is the Grammy Award winning, nineteenth release of the Christian rock band, Petra. It was released on February 29, 2000.
The album features 10 new acoustic rearrangements of classic Petra songs. It also features two new songs ("Breathe In" and "The Longing"). The song "Breathe In" is sung by guitarist Pete Orta. It was written completely by him.
This is the only album to feature Trent Thomason on keyboards.
Double Take features new rearrangements of ten classic Petra songs. The new arrangements are more modern and acoustic-oriented. According to lead singer John Schlitt, the purpose of the record is "not to compete. It's to reintroduce to a generation that never heard any of these songs". Schlitt also said that the songs were "designed" to be played on radio.
The album is not fully acoustic, and features orchestration on several of the songs. Additionally, there are two new songs: "The Longing" and "Breathe In". The former was written by Joel Hanson (from PFR) while the latter was written and sung by guitarist Pete Orta.
All songs written by Bob Hartman, except where noted.
- "Judas' Kiss" – 4:05
- "The Coloring Song" (Words by David Eden) – 3:28
- "Dance" (Words by Hartman and John Elefante) – 3:39
- "Beyond Belief" (Words by Hartman and Elefante) – 4:22
- "The Longing" (Words by Joel Hanson and Tony Wood) – 2:56
- "He Came, He Saw, He Conquered" (Words by Hartman and Elefante) – 4:14
- "Beat the System" – 4:34
- "This Means War" – 5:40
- "Breathe In" (Words by Pete Orta) – 4:57
- "Creed" – 4:49
- "Praying Man" (Words by John Lawry and Jim Cooper) – 4:30
- "Just Reach Out" (Words by John Schlitt and Rich Gootee) – 4:36
Double Take won a Grammy for Best Rock Gospel Album at the 43rd Grammy Awards in 2001.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic 
The album received mostly mixed to negative critics from audience and critics. AllMusic gave it a rating of 2.5 stars out of 5 while David Cranson, of Cross Rhythms, gave it 3 out of 10 stars. Cranson wrote "they’ve got most of the arrangements wrong. Too negative in fee, too minor rather than major... The only tracks which really work are the two new ones".
However, Michael Jones, of A Guide to Petra, called it "something that is not to be missed" and "a bit more artsy, a bit more acoustic, and at the same time a bit more progressive than they have been. It is also some of their best quality work in many years". Jones closed his review asking Petra fans to "check their expectations at the door" to avoid being disappointed by the new versions of classic songs.
- Pete Orta - lead guitars, vocals
- John Schlitt - lead vocals
- Trent Thomason - keyboards
- Lonnie Chapin - bass, vocals
- Louie Weaver - drums
- John Elefante - background vocals
- The Nashville String Machine - strings
- Russell Mauldin - string arrangement
- Larry Hall - keyboards
- Brian Wooten - additional guitars
- George Marinelli, Jr. - additional guitars
- Eric Darken - percussion
- Terry McMillan - harmonica solo
- John & Dino Elefante - Producer
- Bob Hartman - Executive producer
- Engineered by J.R. McNeely
- Assistant Engineers - Todd Gunnerson, Robert Charles, Thomas Johnson
- Tracked and Mixed at The Sound Kitchen, Cool Springs, Tennessee
- Mixed by David Hall & J.R. McNeely
- Vocals recorded at The Fish Bowl, Brentwood, Tennessee
- Vocals recorded by John Elefante
- Mastered by Hank Williams at Master Mix, Nashville, Tennessee
- ^ Double Take album booklet; 2000
- ^ John Schlitt Interview on Petra Rocks My World; Renaud, Josh (July 1999)
- ^ "2000 Grammy Award Winners". Grammy.com. http://www.grammy.com/nominees/search?artist=&title=&year=2000&genre=All. Retrieved 1 may 2011.
- ^ Allmusic review
- ^ Double Take - Petra on AllMusic
- ^ Petra - Double Take on Cross Rhythms; Cranson, David
- ^ Petra - Doube Take CD review on A Guide to Petra; Jones, Michael
- Come and Join Us
- Washes Whiter Than
- Never Say Die
- More Power to Ya
- Not of this World
- Beat the System
- Captured in Time and Space
- Back to the Street
- This Means War!
- On Fire!
- Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out
- Beyond Belief
- Unseen Power
- Wake-Up Call
- No Doubt
- Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus
- God Fixation
- Double Take
- Jekyll and Hyde
- Petra Farewell
Classic Petra albums
- Back to the Rock
- Back to the Rock Live
Spanish albums Compilations
- Petra Means Rock
- War & Remembrance
- Petrafied: The Best of Petra
- Power Praise
- Rock Block
- The Early Years
- Greatest Hits, Vol. 1
- Still Means War
- The Power Of Praise
- The Ultimate Collection
- The Definitive Collection
- Captured In Time and Space
- On Fire! Video Event
- Beyond Belief
- Backstage Pass
- Wake-Up Call Video Collection
- Captured In Time & Space DVD
- Back to the Rock Live DVD
- 2000 albums
- Petra albums
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.