- Bowery Electric
Bowery Electric Origin New York, NY Genres Post-rock, trip hop, ambient, downtempo, shoegaze, electronic, experimental, drone Years active 1992–2002 Labels Kranky
Associated acts Echostar
Members Lawrence Chandler
Bowery Electric's music defies easy classification. Part of the initial wave of American shoegazers and seminal members of the post-rock movement, the duo earned critical acclaim for experimentation across genres and mixing elements of ambient, drone, electronic and experimental music with '70's soul soundtracks, disco, dub and hip hop. They were one of the first American bands to perform with a laptop, mixer and sampler on stage alongside bass, drums and guitars.
Chandler has studied with La Monte Young, Pauline Oliveros, at The Juilliard School and Goldsmiths College and is a composer and sound artist living in London. Appearances as a performer have been rare but he has played with Experimental Audio Research (E.A.R.), "a loose affiliation of non-resident sound makers including from time to time Sonic Boom (Spacemen 3, Spectrum), Kevin Shields (My Bloody Valentine) and Eddie Prévost (AMM)." He has produced remixes as Metrotech for bands including Calla Mercova and Tristeza.
- 1995: Bowery Electric (Kranky)
- 1996: Beat (Kranky / Beggars Banquet)
- 1997: Vertigo (Beggars Banquet)
- 2000: Lushlife (Beggars Banquet)
- 1994: Drop (Hi-Fidelity Recordings)
- 1997: Fear of Flying / Beat / Without Stopping (Beggars Banquet)
- 1997: Black Light / Coming Down / Empty Words (Beggars Banquet)
- 1997: Blow Up / Electrosleep (Happy Go Lucky)
- 2000: Floating World / Lushlife (Beggars Banquet)
- 2000: Freedom Fighter / Soul City (Beggars Banquet)
- 1996: Monsters, Robots and Bug Men (Virgin Records)
- 1996: The New Atlantis (Space Age Recordings)
- 1997: Deepwater Black (Koch Records)
- 1998: After the Flood 2 (ae)
- 1998: A Tribute To Spacemen 3 (Rocket Girl)
- 1998: kompilation (Southern Records)
- 1998: Hekla's Selection (Reckankreuzungsklankewerkzeuge)
- 2001: Dark City Nights (Mascara)
- 2000: Chillout Basscapes 2 (Zoomshot)
- 2000: Musikexpress 40 (Musikexpress)
- 2001: Im:pulse Chill & Lounge Grooves (Indigo)
- 2002: Brain In The Wire (Brainwashed Recordings)
- ^ Reynolds, Simon (November 1995). "Back to the Future". The Wire 141: 26–30
- ^ "Bowery Electric". http://www.myspace.com/boweryelectricofficial. Retrieved 2009-04-21. [dead link]
- ^ "Mail Order Catalogue". U-Cover Records. http://www.u-cover.com/mailorder/artists-one.php?ToOne=1184&UID=2008041910304518.104.22.168¤cy=eur&lang=. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- ^ "Band News". Official Mercova Site. http://mercova.com/news.html. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- ^ "Review of Sola". AllMusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r645567. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.