- Delaware Valley Regional High School
Delaware Valley Regional High School Superintendent: Dr. Elizabeth Nastus Business Administrator: Daria Wasserbach Address: 19 Senator Stout Road
Frenchtown, NJ 08825
Grade Range: 7-12/9-12 School facilities: 1 Enrollment: 1,002 (as of 2009-10) Faculty (in FTEs): 76 Student–teacher ratio: 13.18 District Factor Group: GH Web site: http://www.dvrhs.k12.nj.us/ Ind. Per Pupil District
1 Comparative Cost $14,143 25 $13,710 3.2% 2 Classroom Instruction 7,555 16 7,588 -0.4% 6 Support Services 2,240 31 1,987 12.7% 8 Administrative Cost 1,417 13 1,475 -3.9% 10 Operations & Maintenance 1,632 16 1,816 -10.1% 13 Extracurricular Activities 1,266 46 749 69.0% 16 Median Teacher Salary 55,930 13 62,000 Data from NJDoE 2009 Comparative Spending Guide.
*Of 7-12/9-12 districts with any number of students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=47
Delaware Valley Regional High School Information Type Public high school Motto "To enrich the lives of all students through exceptional education as per NJ core content standards" Principal Nicholas Romanetz (interim) Vice principal Anthony Mormile Grades 9 - 12 Color(s) Blue Goldand Athletics conference Skyland Conference Mascot Terriers Website School website
Delaware Valley Regional High School is a regional, four-year public high school and school district, that serves students in western Hunterdon County. The high school is located in Alexandria Township. Students hail from the townships of Alexandria, Holland and Kingwood along with the boroughs of Frenchtown and Milford.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "FG", the fourth highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Awards and recognition
The school was the 88th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 322 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2010 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 83rd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 80th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state.
Delaware Valley Regional High School competes in the Skyland Conference, which operates under the supervision of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
The Del Val wrestling team has had eight individual state champions and 33 individual state placewinners. The team has been the New Jersey Group II Champion seven times and Central Jersey Group II Champion fourteen times.
In 2002, the Delaware Valley Girl's Soccer program won the school's only state championship, led by senior striker Cathy Abel who scored 36 goals while finishing her career with a school-record 82 goals and 52 assists. The team posted a record of 20 wins, 2 losses, and 3 draws on the way to winning the Hunterdon/Warren County Tournament Championship, the Central Jersey Group II Sectional Championship and shared the Group II State Championship after a scoreless tie with Indian Hills High School. In 2008 the team were Central Jersey Sectional Finalists while posting a 13 wins, 5 losses, 4 draws record.
The school's boys and girls cross-country teams have achieved success in the past few decades. In 2008 the boys and girls cross country teams won the Skyland Conference Raritan Division, the boys finishing 9-0 and the girls 7-0. Also in 2008 Julia Mark and Emma Giantisco placed 1st and 3rd at the Group II State Meet and 9th and 15th at the Meet of Champions. In 2009 under former Del Val grad and former boys assistant coach for the past few years, Dave Giantisco, the Boys XC Team went undefeated 10-0 bringing its dual meet streak to 20-0. The team won the CJ Group II title for the first time since 1986, placed 2nd at the Group II State Meet and placed 12th at the Meet of Champs. This was the first time the Del Val Boys team made MoCs since 1975. In 2010, the team extended their dual meet streak to 26-0, won the CJ Group II title again, and took 3rd at Groups, qualifying them for MoCs for back to back years.
The Delaware Valley Regional High School cheerleading team has become one of the most recognized teams in the state, and has earned national ranking. They compete every year in the UCA National Cheerleading Competition in Orlando, Florida. Their 2008-09 varsity team earned a 5th place ranking at the UCA Nationals, as well as 1st place in The Garden State Open. They have also earned the NJ State Medium Varsity Champions for the 2006-07 and the 2007-2008 seasons. Prior to, they also earned State Championship titles in both Medium Varsity as well as Division 2 from 2000-2004. The coaches are UCA affiliated.
During the 2007-08 school year, the Del Val Superintendent, Dr. Walsh, was accused of embezzling money from the school. After a trial that lasted over a year, he was imprisoned. The current Superintendent, Dr. Elizabeth Nastus, made an announcement during the 2008-09 school year addressing this the day after he pleaded guilty of embezzlement of $90,000 to the district courts.
- Dr. Elizabeth Nastus – Superintendent
- Daria Wasserbach - Business Administrator & Secretary to the Board of Education
- Nicholas Romanetz - Interim Principal
- Anthony Mormile - Assistant Principal
Board of Education
The Delaware Valley Regional Board of Education has nine members elected by registered voters, to a 3 year term. Three members are elected from Holland, two from both Alexandria and Kingwood, and one from both Frenchtown and Milford. The board is responsible for making numerous policies and regulations. They are also given the task of perform the budget cuts if the budget, which they create, does not pass.
Includes most recent year elected (3 yr. term).
- David R. Sousa - Alexandria (2011)
- Sharon J. Kelly - Alexandria (2009)
- Robert E.Haver II - Frenchtown (2011)
- William H. Martin - Holland (2010)
- Sandra J. Howell - Holland (2010)
- Brett Reina - Holland (2009)
- William A. Dietz - Kingwood (2011)
- Debora Frank - Kingwood (2009)
- Ellen J. Gordon - Milford (2010)
- ^ a b District information for the Delaware Valley Regional School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed September 21, 2011.
- ^ Comparative Spending Guide March 2009, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 28, 2009.
- ^ Home, Delaware Valley Regional High School. Accessed March 20, 2011. "Delaware Valley Regional High School serves over 1,000 students in western Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Students from Alexandria, Holland, & Kingwood Townships along with the boroughs of Frenchtown and Milford attend Del Val."
- ^ NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 27, 2009.
- ^ Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 21, 2011.
- ^ "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- ^ League Memberships – 2011-2012, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 21, 2011.
- ^ Delaware Valley Wrestling
- ^ Staff. "Girls teams share titles", Asbury Park Press, November 24, 2002. Accessed September 21, 2011. "After playing 100 minutes of scoreless soccer, Delaware Valley (20-2-3) and Indian Hills (18-3-1) shared the Group II championship."
- ^ 2007 Football - Central, Group II, NJSIAA. Accessed January 20, 2008.
- ^ Ryan, Joe. "School superintendent admits he stole from Delaware Valley Regional", The Star-Ledger, January 8, 2009. Accessed March 20, 2011.
- ^ District Office Directory, Delaware Valley Regional High School. Accessed March 20, 2011.
- ^ Main Office Directory, Delaware Valley Regional High School. Accessed July 21, 2009.
- ^ Hunterdon County School Directory, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed November 5, 2009.
- Delaware Valley Regional High School
- Delaware Valley Regional High School's 2009–10 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for Delaware Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics
School districts of Hunterdon County, New Jersey K-6 K-8Alexandria Township · Bethlehem Township · Bloomsbury · Califon · Clinton Town · Clinton Township · Delaware Township · East Amwell Township · Flemington-Raritan Regional · Franklin Township · Frenchtown · Hampton · High Bridge · Holland Township · Kingswood Township · Lebanon Township · Milford · Readington Township · Tewksbury Township · Union Township 7-12 9-12 NoneAtlantic · Bergen · Burlington · Camden · Cape May · Cumberland · Essex · Gloucester · Hudson · Hunterdon · Mercer · Middlesex · Monmouth · Morris · Ocean · Passaic · Salem · Somerset · Sussex · Union · Warren Skyland Conference (NJSIAA) Delaware East Division Delaware West Division Raritan Division Valley Division
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.