- Claro (mobile phone network)
company_name = Claro Internacional
subsidiaryof América Móvil
location = Flagship headquarters
Daniel Hajj Aboumrad
Carlos J. García Moreno
-Exec LatAm Operations
| industry =
Cellular Type = GSM, CDMA, UMTS, TDMA, HSDPA
slogan = flagicon|Nicaragua flagicon|Dominican Republic flagicon|Chile flagicon|Peru flagicon|El Salvador
Claro que tienes más.
Isso é 3G. 3G é Claro.
Tu poder es Claro.
Es simple. Es Claro.
| products = UMTS/HSDPA,
CDMA, GSM, AMPS, Wireless Data Services, Push to Talk
revenue = Investigating.
| num_employees = Investigating.
homepage = [http://www.americamovil.com/ www.americamovil.com] |
Claro is the largest
mobile phone networkin the Americas. It is part of the Mexicantelecom group América Móvilwhich is the fifth largest mobile phone networkoperator in the world, with more than 153 million customers. It serves clients in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, Peru, Chile, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Puerto Rico, Jamaicaand the Dominican Republic.
The Claro brand was launched in
2003, in Brazil, by the merger of América Móvil-owned operators ATL (serving the states of Rio de Janeiro and Espírito Santo), BCP (with service in São Paulometropolitan area, Pernambuco, Alagoas, Ceará, Paraíba, Piauíand Rio Grande do Norte), Americel (operating in Acre, Tocantins, Rondônia, the Brazilian Federal District, Goiás, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sul), Tess Celular (other areas of São Paulo state) and Claro Digital (serving Rio Grande do Sul).
Claro has expanded its services and now also operates in the states of
Bahia, Sergipe, Santa Catarina, Paraná and Minas Gerais. Claro Brazil have services GSM/ GPRS/ EDGEin 900/1800 MHz, and since November 13, 2007 has 3G UMTS/ HSDPAservice in the 850 MHz band, and a little portion of 1900 MHz to serve the Pelotas region in Rio Grande do Sul. The brand Claro means "clear", "clearly" and "of course" in Portuguese and Spanish.
Claro Brazil Slogans
* "Claro. A vida na sua mão." - in Portuguese | "Claro. Life in your hand(s)." - in English
* Isso tudo é 3G. 3G é Claro." - in Portuguese | "That's all 3G. 3G is Claro." - in English
* "Claro 3G. O futuro que você sonhou na sua mão." - in Portuguese | "Claro 3G. The future you dreamed about is in your hand(s)." - in English
* "Escolha." - in Portuguese | "Choose." - in English
The brand was launched in Chile on
August 6, 2006, after the acquisition of Smartcom PCS. Claro Chile have services GSM/ GPRS/ EDGEin 850/1900 MHz, and since December 2007 has 3G UMTS/ HSDPAservice in the 850 MHz band.
Claro Chile Slogans
* "Si hablas Claro. Claro que tienes más." - in Spanish | "If you speak Claro (clearly). Claro (of course), you get more." - in English
Also in Ecuador America Movil is present with Conecel, commercially known as Porta.Currently with almost 9 million subscribers, and launching WCDMA Conecel is the country's leading operator.
Claro was launched in Guatemala on
September 7th 2006 as a rebranding of the Telguaowned PCS Digital and Alo de PCS brands. As of March 31 2007Claro in Guatemala had more than 2.5 million suscribers under this brand, with services on CDMA/ 1XRTTand GSM/ GPRS/EDGE wireless technologies.
It's the only provider with license to operate in both 900 and 1900 MHz spectrums. The
CDMAnetwork operates only in the 1900 MHz band and the GSM/ GPRS/EDGE network operates in both 900 MHz and 1900 MHz.
Guatemalaits working to launch the first UMTS/ HSDPAnetwork in Guatemalanot late from January 2008.
Claro Guatemala Slogans
* "En toda Guatemala... hablamos Claro." - in Spanish | "In all of Guatemala ... we speak Claro."
Claro was launched in 2008 as a rebranding of
CTI Móvil. It competes with international operators like Tigo(Millicom), Personal(Telecom Argentina / Telecom Italia), and VOX ( KDDI).
Claro was launched as a rebranding of TIM.
Claro Peru Slogans
* "¿Querías más? Claro que tienes más." - in Spanish | "You wanted more? With Claro you get more./Of course, you get more" - in English
The Claro brand was launched in
Puerto Ricoon 18 May 2007as rebranding the Verizon Wirelesstrademark. Claro is the wireless arm of Puerto Rico Telephonewhich serves wireline telephoneand dataservices in the island. The brand was introduced to the wirelesssegment after the 30 March 2007acquisition of the telecom by América Móvil.
Claro Puerto Rico is currently the largest mobile networks serving the island, with more than 567,060 customers and the largest national coverage serving the island's 78 municipalities/cities. The first cellular network in the island was introduced by Puerto Rico Telephone during the 1980s. The history goes back to Celulares Telefónica, which operated until 2001 under that brand, when the Verizon Wireless brand was introduced.
The company launched a 3G GSM/
UMTSnetwork parallel to the CDMA/ EvDOnetwork it operates since 2002. Claro has mobilevoice and data services in Puerto Rico's 78 cities and towns and it's coverage is constantly expanding, the company says.
1 May 2008, Claro introduced the VideoCall service through its 3G GSM network. The customers are able to make calls using the videocamera of their cellphone, to any other VideoCall user. The service places a new standard of calling in the island -being first introduced by Claro- enabling the users to make dual-sided video calls.
Claro Puerto Rico Slogans
"GSM Network Launch Slogans"
*"Tu poder es Claro." - in Spanish | "Your power is Claro." - in English
*"Tu alcance es Claro." - in Spanish | "Your reach is Claro." - in English
*"El futuro es Claro." in Spanish | "The future is Claro." - in English
*"Si quieres más poder, cámbiate a Claro." - in Spanish | "If you want power, switch to Claro." - in English
* "La red más poderosa habla Claro." - in Spanish | "The most powerful network speaks Claro" - in English
*Former "Que nada te detenga." - in Spanish | "Let nothing stop you." - in English
"Brand transition slogans:"
* "Bienvenido a un mundo mejor." - in Spanish | "Welcome to a better world" - in English
* "Verizon Wireless la red más poderosa, ahora es Claro." - in Spanish | "Verizon Wireless the most powerful network, is now Claro." - in English
The brand was launched in the Dominican Republic in
January 31, 2007, after the acquisition of Verizon Dominicana in April 3, 2006.
Claro Dominicana have services over
CDMA1xEV-DO in 800/1900 MHz, GSM/ GPRS/ EDGEin 850/1900 MHz, and since August 7, 2007 has 3G UMTS/ HSDPAservice in the 850 MHz band.
Claro Dominican Republic Slogans
* "Claro que tienes más." - in Spanish | " With Claro you get more."/" Of course, you get more" - in English
Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay
Claro was launched in
Argentina, Paraguayand Uruguayon March 25th 2008 as a rebranding of CTI Móvil. As of March 31 2007 it had more than 12.795 million subscribers under the former brand, with services on CDMA/1XRTT and GSM/GPRS/EDGE wireless technologies. As of March 2008, it has more subscribers than the other companies.
CTI Movil had purchased Hutchison Telecommunications Paraguay S.A. (who operated as "Port Hable") in July 2005, to begin serving customers in that country.
It is providing 3G
UMTS/ HSDPAnetwork to the largest cities in Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay. They claim to have the best 3G coverage in the region. [High speed mobile internet [http://www.claroargentina.com/3g/index.html] ] .
Claro Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay Slogans
* "Es simple. Es Claro" - in Spanish | "It's simple. It's Claro." - in English
* "Claro es internet móvil de alta velocidad." - in Spanish | "Claro is high-speed mobile internet." - in English
The brand was launched in
El Salvador, Hondurasand Nicaraguaon September 2006as rebranding PCS Digital, Alo, Personal and Enitel brands.
Claro operates in El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua individual GSM/GPRS networks over 1900 MHz licenses.
Claro Honduras plans to launch soon the first UMTS 1900 MHz network in Honduras.
Claro Nicaragua has launched the first
UMTSnetwork in Central America, over the 850 MHz spectrum. It's also the first UMTS 850 MHz commercial wireless network in Latin America.
Claro El Salvador Slogans
* "Cubrimos tus Mementos, Cubrimos tus Lugares, Cubrimos tu Nación, Cubrimos tu Diversión, Cubrimos El Salvador. Siempre estás cubierto con Claro." - in Spanish | "We cover your moments, we cover your places, we cover your nation, we cover your entertainment, we cover El Salvador. You are always covered with Claro." - in English
Claro Honduras Slogans
* "Hablamos de todo... Hablamos Claro." - in Spanish | "We talk about everything... We talk Claro." - in English
Claro Nicaragua Slogans
* "Claro. La vida en tus manos." - in Spanish | "Claro. Life in your hands." - in English
Claro's Regional websites
*flagicon|Argentina [http://www.claroargentina.com Claro Argentina]
*flagicon|Paraguay [http://www.claro.com.py Claro Paraguay]
*flagicon|Brazil [http://www.claro.com.br Claro Brazil]
*flagicon|Ecuador [http://www.porta.net Porta Ecuador]
*flagicon|Peru [http://www.claro.com.pe Claro Peru]
*flagicon|Chile [http://www.clarochile.cl Claro Chile]
*flagicon|Guatemala [http://www.claro.com.gt Claro Guatemala]
*flagicon|Puerto Rico [http://www.claropr.com Claro Puerto Rico]
*flagicon|Dominican Republic [http://www.claro.com.do Claro Dominican Republic]
*flagicon|Jamaica [http://www.claro.com.jm Claro Jamaica]
*flagicon|El Salvador [http://www.claro.com.sv Claro El Salvador]
*flagicon|Honduras [http://www.claro.com.hn Claro Honduras]
*flagicon|Nicaragua [http://www.claro.com.ni Claro Nicaragua]
*flagicon|Uruguay [http://www.claro.com.uy Claro Uruguay]
*flagicon|Panama [http://www.claro.com.pa Claro Panama]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.