- PEC University of Technology
PEC University of Technology Motto तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय (Sanskrit)
अंधकार से प्रकाश की ओर ले चलो (Hindi)
Lead Us From Darkness to Light (English)
Established 1921 Undergraduates 1800 Location Chandigarh, India Campus 146 acres (0.59 km2), Urban Director Manoj Dutta Website Official Pec Website
PEC University of Technology, formerly known as Punjab Engineering College (Hindi: पंजाब इंजिनियरिंग कॉलेज, PEC), is an engineering institute located in the city of Chandigarh, India. It offers engineering studies at the bachelors, masters and doctoral levels.
PEC was established in 1921 as Mugalpura Engineering College, at Lahore, now in Pakistan, but the name was change in 1924 to Maclagan Engineering College. In 1931 it got affiliated to the University of the Punjab. After the partition of India, in 1947, it was moved to Roorkee and was renamed as East Punjab College of Engineering, to be renamed again three years later to Punjab Engineering College, a name which it held for more than 50 yeats. In 1953 it moved to its present campus in Chandigarh In 2003 it was awarded the Deemed University status and renamed Punjab Engineering College (Deemed University). In 2009 it finally received its current name, PEC University of Technology.
- Bachelor of Engineering courses (eight semesters):
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Communication
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Production Engineering
- Information Technology
- Master of Engineering courses (four semesters):
- Industrial Design Engineering (inter-disciplinary)
- Civil Engineering (Highways)
- Civil Engineering (Irrigation and Hydraulics)
- Civil Engineering (Structures)
- Environmental Engineering (Inter-disciplinary)
- Electrical Engineering (Power Systems)
- Electronics Product Design and Technology
- Mechanical Engineering (Rotodynamics)
- Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Materials and Metallurgy (IMM)
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM)
- Part-time Master of Engineering courses (six semesters) for industry and government sponsored candidates
- Doctoral Research opportunities available at all departments
- Other Departments
- Applied Sciences
Academia Webserver, PEC's open course ware was launched in 2007.
Punjab Engineering College has collaborated with several national and international educational institutions for student exchange programs. Also, MoUs have been signed with several corporates to attract projects and internships. Some of these collaborations are:
- PEC-ESIGELEC France collaboration (Feb, 2009)
- PEC-ABB collaboration (Jan, 2009)
- PEC-UWA collaboration (Jan, 2009)
- PEC-JCB collaboration initiated (Sep, 2008)
- PEC-Philips collaboration (Sep, 2008)
- PEC-CSIO collaboration (Aug, 2008)
- Admissions to Bachelor of Engineering courses are made through
- All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) for Indian Nationals.
- DASA for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Person of Indian Origin Card (PIOs) and Foreign Nationals.
- Admissions to Master of Engineering courses are made through the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) examinations.
Cultural and Technical Festivals
PecFest is the cultural festival, organized by the students of Punjab Engineering College. Considered one of the biggest college cultural festivals of North India, it attracts students from colleges across north India. Events include quizzes, workshops, game Shows, informal events, fashion show (Glitterati), dance show (Groovz), Rock Night, Pronite, and a city level beauty peagant.
Vyom is the annual Technical festival of Punjab Engineering College. It is organised every year since 2011, in the month of March. It has a variety of competitions along with various workshops and lectures by eminent guests across the world.
- ISTE at PEC - Indian Society For Technical Engineers (Student Chapter)
- IEEE at PEC - The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Student Chapter
- IETE at PEC - The Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers Student Forum
- SAE at PEC - The Society of Automotive Engineers Student Chapter
- SME at PEC - The Society of Manufacturing Engineers Student Chapter
- IIF at PEC - The Institute of Indian Foundrymen Student Chapter
PEC, Chandigarh is believed to have one of the best student club cultures in the north india. The major clubs include The Entrepreneurship development Cell which serves as a stepping stone for budding entrepreneurs through its vast and deep networks and connections with Venture capitalists throughout the region
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Projection Design Club
- Communications Club
- Music Club
- SAASC - Speakers Association And Study Circle
- Dramatics Club
- Art and Photography Club
- Environment and Energy Club
- Rotaract Club
- English Editorial Board
- Hindi Editorial Board
- Punjabi Editorial Board
There are four hostels for boys - Shivalik (1st year students), Aravali (2nd year students), Himalaya (BE 3rd year and ME 1st year) and Kurukshetra (BE final year and ME 2nd year) and two hostels for girls - Kalpana Chawla hostel and Vindhya . Each hostel is self contained with amenities such as reading room, indoor games room, lounge and dining hall and a mess.
- Sunil Saigal - Dean, Newark College of Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT), B.E. Civil (1978).
- Jaspal Bhatti - satirist, comedian, film-maker; B.E. Electrical (1978)
- Kalpana Chawla - Space Shuttle Columbia astronaut; B.E. Aeronautical (1982).
- Gaurav Dhillon - founder and former CEO of Informatica Corporation and CEO and founder of the online movie site Jaman.
- PECOSA - Punjab Engineering College Old Students Association. PECOSA is the official alumni association recognised by the institute.
- PALS - PEC Alumni Society
- PALS North America - PEC Alumni Society North America Chapter email list
- PECOBA - Punjab Engineering College Old Boys (sic) Association email list.
- PECOBA USA - PECOBA USA members email list
- PEC at USA - Another email list of Pecobians in the USA
- Vyom - Annual Technical Fest
- ^ "About PEC". pec.ac.in. http://pec.ac.in/institute/aboutpec.asp. Retrieved 20 October 2011.
- ^ "News". Pec.ac.in. 2009-02-02. http://pec.ac.in/scripts_new/MoUesigelec-france.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ "News". Pec.ac.in. http://pec.ac.in/scripts_new/ABB.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ "News". Pec.ac.in. 2009-01-15. http://pec.ac.in/scripts_new/PEC-UWACollaboration.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ "News". Pec.ac.in. http://pec.ac.in/scripts_new/MoUjcb.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ "News". Pec.ac.in. http://pec.ac.in/scripts_new/MoUphilips.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ "News". Pec.ac.in. http://pec.ac.in/scripts_new/MoUcsio.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ "hostels". Pec.ac.in. http://www.pec.ac.in/infrastructure/hostels.asp. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- ^ Bio on NJIT website
- ^ Jaspal Bhatti
- ^ Bio on NASA website
Coordinates: 30°46′01″N 76°47′08″E / 30.76694°N 76.78547°ECategories:
- All India Council for Technical Education
- Engineering colleges in Punjab (India)
- Engineering colleges in Chandigarh
- Deemed Universities in India
- Universities and colleges in Chandigarh
- Bachelor of Engineering courses (eight semesters):
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.