- Oz: The Great and Powerful
Oz: The Great and Powerful Directed by Sam Raimi Produced by Joe Roth Screenplay by Mitchell Kapner
Based on The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by
L. Frank Baum
Starring James Franco
Music by Danny Elfman Cinematography Peter Deming Editing by Bob Murawski Studio Roth Films Distributed by Walt Disney Pictures Release date(s) March 8, 2013 Country United States Language English Budget $200 million
Oz: the Great and Powerful is an upcoming 2013 fantasy film directed by Sam Raimi for release in 2013. The film, adapted from L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, is intended as a prequel to the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz. James Franco stars as the protagonist, and Mila Kunis, Michelle Williams and Rachel Weisz star as the three witches. Its story is about how Oz got his wrath.
The film's synopsis is:
“ “Oz The Great and Powerful” imagines the origins of L. Frank Baum’s beloved character, the Wizard of Oz. When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of Oz, he thinks he’s hit the jackpot—fame and fortune are his for the taking—that is until he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone’s been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity—and even a bit of wizardry—Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well. ”
- James Franco as Oscar Diggs/Oz
- Mila Kunis as Theodora
- Michelle Williams as Glinda the Good Witch
- Rachel Weisz as Evanora
- Zach Braff as Frank and Finley
- Joey King as China Girl
- Abigail Spencer as Mrs. Hamilton
- Ted Raimi
Frequent Sam Raimi collaborator Bruce Cambell originally had a small role in the film, but it was cut before it was even filmed.
Oz: The Great and Powerful serves as a prequel[clarification needed] adapted from author L. Frank Baum's novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz published in 1900. Before Sam Raimi signed on to make the film, directors Sam Mendes and Adam Shankman were also reported to be top candidates. In June 2011, Danny Elfman was chosen to compose Oz: the Great and Powerful. This comes after Elfman and Raimi had a falling out over Spider-Man 2 (2004) and declaring that the two would never again work together.
The script was written by Mitchell Kapner and David Lindsay-Abaire with Joe Roth serving as a producer. According to a reporter for Deadline Hollywood, its distributor wanted to reduce the film's production budget to about $200 million.
Initially, Robert Downey, Jr. was considered to play Oz. Then, Johnny Depp was linked to the role. By the end of February 2011, James Franco was in final negotiations to star in this film. This is the first time that Franco and Raimi have worked together following the conclusion of the Spider-Man trilogy.
In May 2011, before filming began, distributor Walt Disney Pictures gave it a March 8, 2013 US theatrical release date. According to an article published by Moviefone, Disney hopes Oz: The Great and Powerful will replicate the commercial performance of a similar 3-D fantasy film; Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (2010).
- Adaptations of The Wizard of Oz
- Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, a book that also serves a prequel to The Wizard of Oz.
- ^ a b c Goldberg, Matt (July 26, 2011). "First Synopsis for Sam Raimi’s OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL Starring James Franco". Collider. Collider. http://collider.com/oz-great-powerful-synopsis/105609/. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f g Jagernauth, Kevin (July 6, 2011). "‘Mad Men’ Star Abigail Spencer Joins ‘Oz The Great And Powerful’". indieWIRE. Snagfilms. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/2011/07/06/mad_men_star_abigail_spencer_joins_oz_the_great_and_powerful/. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- ^ a b "Robert Downey Jr. as the Wizard of Oz?". The Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. April 20, 2010. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/04/robert-downey-jr-wizard-of-oz.html. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- ^ Lyttelton, Olivia (June 20, 2011). "Danny Elfman Makes Peace With Sam Raimi To Score ‘Oz The Great and Powerful’". indieWIRE. Snagfilm. http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/danny_elfman_makes_peace_with_sam_raimi_to_score_oz_the_great_and_powerful/#. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- ^ "Grammy Museum Audience Questions Take Elfman Back to Boingo & Forward Into the Future". Buzzine. June 14, 2011. http://www.buzzinemusic.com/interviews/music-interview-danny-elfman-tim-burton-25th-anniversary-music-box-grammy-museum-3-06142011. Retrieved June 27, 2011.
- ^ a b Fleming, Mike (February 25, 2011). "James Franco Closing Disney Deal For 'Oz: The Great And Powerful'". Deadline Hollywood. Mail.com Media Corporation. http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/james-franco-closing-disney-deal-for-oz-the-great-and-powerful/. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- ^ Kit, Borys (January 19, 2011). "EXCLUSIVE: Robert Downey Jr. Out of 'Oz,' Johnny Depp to Take Over?". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/robert-downey-jr-oz-johnny-73615. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- ^ "Casting Call For Disney’s “Oz: The Great & Powerful”". CBS News. CBS Broadcasting Inc. June 10, 2011. http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/06/10/casting-call-for-disneys-oz-the-great-and-powerful/. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- ^ a b Mitchell, John (May 25, 2011). "'Oz: The Great and Powerful' Gets a Release Date". Moviefone. AOL. http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/05/25/oz-the-great-and-powerful-gets-a-release-date/. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- ^ Semigran, Aly (May 25, 2011). "'Oz: The Great and Powerful' gets release date: March 8... 2013". Entertainment Weekly. Time Warner Inc. http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/25/oz-the-great-and-powerful-release-date/. Retrieved July 15, 2011.
- Oz: the Great and Powerful at the Internet Movie Database
- Oz: the Great and Powerful at Yahoo! Movies
Films directed by Sam Raimi 1980s 1990s 2000s 2010sOz: The Great and Powerful (2013)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.