- One in a Million (season 3)
One in a Million (Season 3) Format Interactive reality Game Show Directed by Kiedd Fariz Aziz
Zebedee De Costa
Presented by Awal Ashaari
Judges Syafinaz Selamat
Opening theme "Star" by Jaclyn Victor Country of origin Malaysia No. of episodes 15 Episodics
(30) The 3 Minuter
(30) The Diaries
Production Executive producer(s) Sunil Kumar Producer(s) Zebedee de Costa
Kiedd Fariz Aziz
(AP)Anusha Eliz Peterson
(PA)Joshua James Peterson
Editor(s) Howie Chin
N. Shivadas Menon
Desmond Prashan De'Cruz
Live Show : Sri Pentas 2, Plaza Alam Sentral, Shah Alam
Grand Final: Stadium Melawati, Shah Alam
Running time Varies Broadcast Original channel 8TV Original run 23 January 2009 – 1 May 2009 Chronology Preceded by One in a Million (Season 2) External links Website
One in a Million is Malaysia's first ever reality singing competition to offer a RM 1 million prize to the winner. The third season, which was airedfrom 23 January to 1 May 2009, was won by Shah Indrawan Ismail, the first male and first established artiste to do so.
The preliminary auditions for season three of One in a Million were held in the following locations:
City Venue Date Notes Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Imperial International Hotel 15 November 2008 437 people auditioned. Kuching, Sarawak Merdeka Palace Hotel & Suites 15 November 2008 Johor Baru, Johor The Puteri Pacific 22 November 2008 Georgetown, Penang Sunway Hotel 22 November 2008 About 200 people auditioned. Kuala Lumpur Berjaya Times Square 29 November 2008 More than 1200 people auditioned.
This time, auditions were open to hopefuls aged 16 to 32, compared to the previous season's 18-30 limit. Besides these, pre-audition road shows were held in these cities (two weeks before their respective auditions), featuring promotions for One in a Million and performances by OIAM alumni from both past seasons.
All preliminary auditions were preceded by different judges. Those who qualified from the auditions underwent another audition stage in Berjaya Times Square on 30 November and 1 December, where they met Paul Moss and Syafinaz. The telecast on 8TV began with footage from this stage, unlike in previous seasons which began with the individual preliminary auditions.
Not unlike in previous seasons, artistes who still or used to hold recording contracts were still welcome, but this time around, they skipped the preliminary auditions to participate on the main audition on 1 December, in the Gardens Hotel, Mid Valley. Among those who qualified included Norafizah Mohd Yasin, winner of TV3's Mentor; Tomok, lead vocalist of New Boyz; Amylea Azizan, Akademi Fantasia alumnus.
Only eighty have qualified into the Central Eliminations round held in Peninsula Residence, Damansara from 11 till 19 December (aired on 6 and 13 February). A major twist in this season is the Blind Test, in which contestants performed behind a paper screen, only to have their shadows seen by the judges which focused on their voices, brought forward as the first challenge. According to Moss, he and Syafinaz would have found it more effective to sort out the more desirable voices. 20 have been eliminated from this stage.
Secondly, came the group singing in which the remaining sixty formed into groups of six or seven, each of which are all of the same gender. The female groups chose between One Step at a Time (Jordin Sparks) and Cinta di Akhir Garisan (Ziana Zain); while the males had Juwita (Citra Terindah) (M. Nasir) or My Girl (The Temptations). Another 20 were sent packing after this test.
The remaining forty were divided into the Top 20 and Bottom 20 based on the judges' evaluation, after which each of the Top 20 picked an MP3 player from a table, studies the song in it, and chose a duet partner from the Bottom 20. Paul Moss remarked had he been in the Top 20, he would pick a weaker contestant to gain an edge into the next stage. Having said that, the twenty best finalists were selected not based on being the better in their respective pairs.
The Central Eliminations concluded with a one-on-one final evaluation in which each contestant went on stage either alone or in a pair, sang on their own in front of the judges, each contestant was shown their fate immediately after their performance ends. As is of the previous seasons, only 12 make it into the competition rounds.
- Shah Indrawan Ismail (Tomok)
- Immunity (2): 13 March; 27 March 2009
- Elizabeth Applunius Chin (Esther)
- 1st Runner-up
- Immunity (2): 20 February; 20 March 2009
- Nasharul Aweera bin Noriyissham (Weera)
- 2nd Runner-up
- Immunity: 6 March 2009
- Zulqarnain bin Jaafar (Nine)
- Eliminated: 24 April 2009
- Amylea binti Azizan (Amy)
- Immunity: 27 February 2009
- Eliminated: 17 April 2009
- Simon Christopher Michael (Simon)
- Eliminated: 10 April 2009
- Muhammad Ridzuan bin Sharifuddin (Rizu)
- Eliminated: 3 April 2009
- Fify Emielia Shazlin binti Ahmad Murshaidi (Fify)
- Eliminated: 27 March 2009
- Anith Aqilah binti Sulaiman Lim (Anith)
- Eliminated: 20 March 2009
- Norafizah binti Mohamad Yasin (Pija)
- Eliminated: 13 March 2009
- Rehana binti Mohd Yunus (Han)
- Eliminated: 6 March 2009
- Nur Hidayu binti Md Tekhary (Ayu)
- Eliminated: 27 February 2009
The competitive performances are held every Friday, going on-air at 9.30 pm, beginning 20 February 2009, in Sri Pentas 2, Plaza Alam Sentral, Shah Alam. The surprise of the season is, each week from Top 12 till Top 7, an immunity will be granted to the week's best performer as per judges' evaluation, which exempts him/her from the voting sessions, thus guaranteeing him/her a spot in each coming week's performances. As usual, voting lines open only after the show, with which viewers send in SMSes to vote in or out each contestant. The finalist with the lowest votes leaves at the beginning of each coming week's show.
Top 12 (20 February 2009)
The Top 12 opened their first night with the song Itu Kamu (originally sung by Estranged).
The judges announced the immunity system as their surprise after all 12 performed individually, with Esther being first given the honour to be exempt from the decisive public voting.
Top 11: Memori Tercipta (27 February 2009)
- Eliminated: Ayu - Makhluk Tuhan Paling Seksi (Mulan Jameela)
The theme of the night was "Memori Tercipta" ("A Memory is Born"), songs which remind them of someone).
- Guest judge: Salamiah Hassan
- Immunity: Amylea
Top 10 (6 March 2009)
- Immunity: Weera
Top 9: Songwriters' Week (13 March 2009)
- Eliminated: Pija - Satu Harapan (Jaclyn Victor).
Finalists selected from ten contemporary Malaysian songs and sought guidance from the songs' respective composer.
- Guest judge: Fauzi Marzuki
(Composers' names given if not the same person as the original singer.)
- Weera - Janjiku (Sofaz, Taja MUH)
- Amy - Yang Pernah (Estranged)
- Fify - Kalis Rindu (Elyana, Aidit Alfian)
- Rizu - Cinta (Flop Poppy, Andy Flop Poppy)
- Tomok - La La La Kerjalah (Meet Uncle Hussain, Taja MUH)
- Immunity: Tomok
Top 8: Opposites Attract (20 March 2009)
- Eliminated: Anith - Kerna Kamu (Faizal Tahir)
Each contestant performed a song originally recorded by singers of the different gender from theirs.
- Group performance: Seksis (Anita Sarawak)
- Guest judge: J. Jay of Carefree
- Immunity: Esther
Top 7 (27 March 2009)
- Amy - Satu Dalam Sejuta (Amylea)
- Nine - Nakal (Gigi)
- Tomok - Ingin Bersamamu (Syafinaz)
- Immunity: Tomok
Amylea introduced an original composition of hers for the first time in this performing week; however it did not suffice for the judges who eventually granted Tomok his second immunity for improvising one of Syafinaz's songs.
Top 6 (3 April 2009)
The judges announced that no new immunity would be granted for the rest of the competition, thus resting the fate of all six finalists completely in the hands of the voting audience.
The Top 6 show lasted for just over an hour due to the decimated number of contestants and the time saved as the result of the immunity system being revoked.
Top 5: Sheila Majid (10 April 2009)
- Eliminated: Simon - Ku Mohon
Contestants took on Sheila Majid's hit songs.
- Guest judge: Sheila Majid
- Amylea - Dia
- Weera - Antara Anyer Dan Jakarta
- Nine - Pengemis Muda
- Esther - Lagenda
- Tomok - Aku Cinta Padamu
- Group performance: Jatuh Cinta
Top 4: In Concert (17 April 2009)
Each contestant was to pull off a concert-like, themed performance for approximately four minutes. Three of them did medleys.
- Guest performance: Shila and Dafi - RENTAK OPTIMIS aka Camnilah
- Nine - Keroncong Untuk Ana (M. Nasir)
- Tomok - Jika Kau Bercinta Lagi / Sekuntum Mawar Merah / Kerana Kau (Alleycats)
- Esther - One Night Only (Jennifer Hudson) / Semua Jadi Satu (3 Diva) / Keeps Gettin' Better (Christina Aguilera)
- Weera - Tak Ada Logika (Agnes Monica) / Emansipasi (Republic of Brickfields)
Top 3: Judges and fans' favourites (24 April 2009)
The finalists were to repeat two songs which they performed through the weeks of the competition from Top 12 till Top 5.
- Eliminated: Nine - Karma (Cokelat)
Judges' choice Fans' choice
- Tomok -
- Esther -
- Aweera -
Crazy in Love (Beyoncé)
Better in Time (Leona Lewis)
Gemilang (Jaclyn Victor)
Cuba (Faizal Tahir)
I Won't Go Home Without You (Maroon 5)
Aku Dah Bosan (Amy Search)
Grand Final (1 May 2009)
The final stage of the competition was held in Stadium Malawati, Shah Alam, on 1 May 2009. Tomok narrowly escaped elimination after being announced to have the least votes at the moment, as a result of a week-long opinion poll set up by 8TV in which fans chose all three to compete rather than only two of them. Votes from last week's performances were carried forward to the one-hour showdown throughout which viewers could vote for the last time. Each contestant was assigned two SMS lines and one landline in anticipation of a major influx of votes.
Each contestant performed twice, one cover (♪) and an original song specially for the finale (♫).
♪ Weera: Sampai Syurga (Faizal Tahir) / My Baby You (Marc Anthony) / Hukum Karma (Wings) [medley] ♫ Esther: Menggapai Mimpi (composed by: Sharon Paul / lyrics: Lew Mable) ♪ Tomok: Hanya Kau Yang Mampu (Aizat) ♫ Weera: Ku Di Sini (composed by: Lin Li Zhen / lyrics: Pacha O) ♪ Esther: Don't Stop the Music (Rihanna) ♫ Tomok: Rinduku Terhenti (composed by: Aubrey Suwito / lyrics: Tinta S.)
At 10.30 pm, Tomok was announced the winner of OIAM3.
- ^ "One In A Million hopefuls queue to show their talents". The Star. 2008-11-19. http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/11/19/southneast/2567623&sec=southneast. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- ^ a b Tan, Anne (2008-11-25). "Striving to be one in a million". The Star. http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/11/25/north/2625093&sec=north. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- ^ Asmizan Mohd Samiran (2008-11-30). "Impian kembar seiras". Harian Metro. http://www.hmetro.com.my/Current_News/myMetro/Sunday/Setempat/20081130105201/Article/index_html. Retrieved 2008-12-04. [dead link]
- ^ "OIAM kembali untuk musim ketiga". gua.com.my. 2008-11-12. http://www.gua.com.my/Entertainment/News-Detail.aspx?ArticleID=2715. Retrieved 2008-11-12.
- ^ Mohd Nasif Baharuddin (2008-12-06). "30 artis sasar RM1j". Harian Metro. http://www.hmetro.com.my/Saturday/Rap/20081206121948/Article. Retrieved 2008-12-06. [dead link]
- One in a Million homepage on 8TV
- One in a Million forum at Rentak Sejuta
- One in a Million main forum at Cari Forum
Seasons PresentersAwal Ashaari · Marion Caunter JudgesPaul Moss · Syafinaz Selamat WinnersSuki Low Sook Yee · Norayu Damit · Shah Indrawan Ismail Production team
- Shah Indrawan Ismail (Tomok)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.