- Nahan's Partridge
Nahan's Partridge Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Galliformes Family: Phasianidae Subfamily: Perdicinae Genus: Ptilopachus Species: P. nahani Binomial name Ptilopachus nahani
The Nahan's Partridge (Ptilopachus nahani), also known as the Nahan's Francolin, is a bird in the Phasianidae family. This endangered species is found in rainforest in northeastern DR Congo and western Uganda, and it is threatened by habitat loss and hunting. As suggested by its alternative name, it was formerly believed to be a francolin and placed either in Francolinus or Pternistis, but it is now known that its closest relative is the Stone Partridge. At about 25 centimetres (9.8 in) in length, the Nahan's Partridge is a relatively small, terrestrial bird with a red eye-ring, legs and base of the bill, brownish upperparts, and black-and-white underparts and head.
- ^ a b Gill, F, & Donsker, D. eds. (2010). IOC World Bird Names. Version 2.7. Accessed 15 January 2011.
- ^ a b BirdLife International (2008). "Francolinus nahani". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2010.4. International Union for Conservation of Nature. http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/141240. Retrieved 15 January 2011.
- ^ a b McGowan, P. J. K. (1994). Nahan's Francolin (Francolinus nahani). Pp. 497 in: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., & Sargatal, J. eds. (1994). Handbook of the Birds of the World. Vol. 2. New World Vultures to Guineafowl. Lynx Edicions, Barcelon. ISBN 84-87334-15-6
- ^ Crowe, T. M., Bowie, R.C.K., Bloomer, P., Mandiwana, T.G., Hedderson, T.A.J., Randi, E., Pereira, S., & Wakeling, J. (2006). Phylogenetics, biogeography and classification of, and character evolution in, gamebirds (Aves: Galliformes): Effects of character exclusion, data partitioning and missing data. Cladistics 22: 495-532.
- ^ Crowe, T. (2010). Phylogenetic affinities of enigmatic African galliforms: the Stone Partridge Ptilopachus petrosus and Latham's and Nahan's 'Francolins' Francolinus lathami and F. nahani. Cladistics 26: 206-206. (Abstract).
- IUCN Red List endangered species
- Galliformes stubs
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.