- Maphumulo Local Municipality
Maphumulo Local Municipality — Local municipality — KwaZulu-Natal Country South Africa Province KwaZulu-Natal District iLembe District Seat Maphumulo Area - Total 896 km2 (345.9 sq mi) Population (2007) - Total 109,157 - Density 121.8/km2 (315.5/sq mi) - Households 19,934 Racial makeup (2007) - Black African 100.0% - White 0.00% - Coloured 0.00% - Indian or Asian 0.00% Time zone SAST (UTC+2) Municipal code KZN294
The municipality is predominantly rural, comprising mostly tribal land, which is administered by the Ingonyama Trust on behalf of local communities. Sugar-cane cultivation is the predominant economic activity and land use in the municipality. Subsistence agricultural activities in the form of small cropping areas attached to traditional family units dominate land usage.
The only major town in the municipality is Maphumulo.
- ^ "Community Survey, 2007: Basic Results Municipalities" (PDF). Statistics South Africa. http://www.statssa.gov.za/Publications/P03011/P030112007.pdf. Retrieved 2009-10-20.
- ^ "Community Survey 2007 interactive data". Statistics South Africa. http://www.statssa.gov.za/community_new/content.asp?link=interactivedata.asp. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- ^ South African Languages - Place names
- ^ a b KwaZulu-Natal Top Business - Maphumulo Municipality
- ^ Provincial Profile 2004, KwaZulu-Natal, Statistics South Africa
Province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa Provincial Capital: Pietermaritzburg Metropolitan
MunicipalitiesuMhlabuyalingana · Jozini · The Big Five False Bay · Hlabisa · MtubatubaIngwe · Kwa Sani · Greater Kokstad · Ubuhlebezwe · Umzimkhulu
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.