digiKam Developer(s) KDE Stable release 2.3.0 / November 7, 2011 Written in C++ (Qt) Operating system Cross-platform Type Digital photo organizer License GNU General Public License Website www.digikam.org
digiKam is an image organizer and editor using KDE Platform. It runs on most known desktop environments and window managers if the required libraries are installed. It supports all major image file formats, and can organize collections of photographs in directory-based albums, or dynamic albums by date, timeline, or by tags. Users can also add captions and ratings to their images, search through them and save searches for later use. With the plugins they can also export albums to 23hq, Facebook, Flickr, Gallery2, Google Earth's KML files, SmugMug, Piwigo, Simpleviewer, burn them on CD, or create web galleries.
digiKam provides functions for organizing, previewing, downloading and/or deleting images from digital cameras. Basic auto-transformations can also be deployed on the fly during picture downloading. In addition, digiKam offers image enhancement tools through its KIPI (KDE Image Plugins Interface) framework and its own plugins, like red-eye removal, color management, image filters, or special effects. digiKam is the only free photo management application on Linux that can handle 16 bit/channel images. Digital Asset Management is the mainstay of digiKam.
The 0.10 version is a hallmark in development as it integrates digiKam in the KDE Platform 4 environment, which is now available on all major platforms as Unix-like, Mac OS X, and Windows (XP, Vista and 7). New features are: XMP metadata, DNG format read and write, database file is independent of photo libraries, enabling remote paths, multiple roots and offline archives, improved database with much more metadata that can be searched, e.g. camera or lens, Marble integration for geolocation, non-modal image editor, live search boxes in both sidebars and main window, and many more.
New features in the 0.9 series includes a GPS locator and synchronization, iPod Photo upload support, an advanced metadata editor, better support for the Raw image format (using dcraw included in digiKam), full color management, a light-table, pan-tool in Image Editor and Preview mode, improvements in usability, and many new plugins.
Digikam 2.0 will be released in July 2011[dated info], sporting a number of new features, including:
- Face detection and tagging support
- XMP sidecar support
- Reverse geocoding
- Image versioning
- Pick Labels & Color Labels support to improve photographic Work-flow
- Many new RAW decoding features
Other Operating Systems
- Windows: digiKam is included as part of the KDE on Windows project. It can be installed by selecting the digiKam-msvc library from within the KDE Installer.
- An official port can be compiled for Mac OS X from source or using MacPorts.
- Most Unix-like OSs are supported.
KDE Imaging Sprint Year Venue Date 2008 Genoa, Italy 10/31-11/2 2009 Essen, Germany 11/13-11/15 2010 Aix-en-Provence, France 8/27-8/29
digiKam is written in C++ using Qt/KDE Platform.
- ^ http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/104
- ^ http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/136
- ^ http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/137
- ^ http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/163
- ^ http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/222
- ^ http://www.digikam.org/drupal/download?q=download/binary/
- ^ "Code sprint event - Genoa (Italy)". http://www.kipi-plugins.org/drupal/node/54. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- ^ Marcel Wiesweg (2009-11-22). "digiKam and Kipi sprint". KDE.NEWS. KDE. http://dot.kde.org/2009/11/22/digikam-and-kipi-sprint.
- ^ Adriaan de Groot, Artur Souza, Claudia Rauch, Eugene Trounev, Jenny Yeung, Jos Poortvliet, Justin Kirby, Rob Oakes, Stuart Jarvis. KDE e.V. Quarterly Report 2010Q3 (Issue 15). KDE e.V.. pp. 5. http://ev.kde.org/reports/ev-quarterly-2010Q3.pdf. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- ^ 2005 Readers' Choice Award, Favorite Digital Photo Management Tool
- ^ digiKam wins TUX 2008 Readers Choice Award
- ^ 2010 Linux Journal Readers Choice Awards
- Official digiKam site (with complete feature list)
- Official Kipi-Plugins site (with complete feature list)
- Digikam user wiki
KDE Community People Software CompilationKDE 1 · KDE 2 · KDE 3 · KDE SC 4 Workspaces Applications Development Education Games Graphics Internet Multimedia Office System Utilities Platform Packages
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.