- Dexterville, Wisconsin
Dexterville, Wisconsin — Unincorporated community — Coordinates: Country United States State Wisconsin County Wood Elevation 991 ft (302 m) Time zone Central (CST) (UTC-6) – Summer (DST) CDT (UTC-5) Area code(s) 715 & 534 GNIS feature ID 1563957
Dexterville is an unincorporated community located in the town of Dexter, Wood County, Wisconsin, United States. It is located at the intersection of Wisconsin Highway 80 and Wisconsin Highway 54.
Dexterville was founded in about 1848. In 1850, the sawmilling magnate George Hiles moved to the area and set up a lumbermill in Dexterville. Local legend says that the community is named after Hiles' mule. Hiles was granted a post office for Dexterville in 1858. He created the Milwaukee, Dexterville, and Northern Railroad in 1887 to carry timber from the area. The railroad was purchased by the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad a few years later, and passed through the community in 1890.
The Dexterville Dam is located on the southern edge of Lake Dexter; it dams the Yellow River, creating Dexter Lake. The dam was created by Wood County to provide waterfront for the current Dexter County Park. A county worker died performing maintenance on the dam in 2009.
- ^ a b "Dexterville, Wisconsin". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=gnispq:3:::NO::P3_FID:1563957.
- ^ http://hometownlocator.com/wi/wood/dexterville.cfm
- ^ http://www.howgs.org/wood_county_history.php#dexter
- ^ "News of the Badger State," The Blair Press, March 6, 1924, at 2.
- ^ "Hiles, George 1825 - 1896". Dictionary of Wisconsin History http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/dictionary/index.asp?action=view&term_id=1381
- ^ Robert S. Rudolph, Wood County Place Names, p. 97 http://www.scls.lib.wi.us/mcm/history/placenames/placenames93_101.pdf
- ^ Railroad Histories, http://www.greenbayroute.com/railroads.htm
- ^ "St. Paul Road will reach Superior." Chicago Tribune May 21, 1890, at 8.
- ^ "Yellow River Dam Okayed at Dexterville". Milwaukee Sentinel, March 24, 1962, at 4. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-TEWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ZxoEAAAAIBAJ&pg=2054,2086967
- ^ "Wood County man dies after fall into icy water." Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/39839442.html
Municipalities and communities of Wood County, Wisconsin Cities Villages Towns CDPs
Babcock | Lake Wazeecha
‡This populated place also has portions in an adjacent county or counties
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.