Infobox Canada electoral district
caption =2004 boundaries
prov-rep =Janis Tarchuk
prov-rep-party =Progressive Conservative
prov-rep-party-link =Progressive Conservative Association of Alberta
prov-election-last =2008, environmental issues tend to dominate here.
The cost of living is significantly high especially in Canmore where there is a struggle to fill low wage service sector jobs, due to the high cost of living. Bears and wildlife encounters are also common in this riding, requireing extra attention to waste disposal. The area also has lots of ski resorts, a number of ranchers and farmers also make their home in the Alberta Foothills.
From 1940 to 1971, this riding was considered a swing riding, that carried over from Rocky Mountain, electing Indepedents and small parties. Since
Clarence Copithornecrossed the floor to the Progressive Conservative Party in 1971, this riding has become a strong hold, but opposition parties typically get higher vote percents compared to other rural Alberta districts.
Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs)
"Voters had the option of selecting 4 Candidates on the Ballot"
Plebiscite district results
1971 Daylight Saving Plebiscite
District data from the 1971 Daylight Saving PlebisciteNote: 2875 Voters in Banff-Cochrane, Cloverbar and Gliechen voted in Favor while 238 voted against for mixed drinking. Break down will be available soon.
1948 Electrification Plebiscite
District data for the 1948 Electrification Plebiscite
* [http://www.canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/e-4.1/20050211/whole.html Electoral Divisions Act 2003]
* [http://www.finance.gov.ab.ca/aboutalberta/ped_profiles/2004_new_boundaries/Banff-Cochrane.pdf Demographics for Banff-Cochrane]
* [http://www.electionsalberta.ab.ca/maps%5Cnb%5C45_a1.pdf Current Riding Map Banff-Cochrane]
* [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/Maps_44a1.pdf Map of Banff-Cochrane prior to 2004]
* [http://www.assembly.ab.ca/ Website of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta]
* [http://www.studentvote.ca/alberta/index.php Student Vote Alberta 2004]
* [http://www.abheritage.ca/abpolitics/ Alberta Heritage] Election results 1905 - 2001 and riding distribution data.
* [http://www.electionsalberta.ab.ca/ Elections Alberta]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.