- Southaven, Mississippi
mapsize = 250px
map_caption = Location of Southaven in the State of Mississippi
official_name = Southaven, Mississippi
nickname = The Tip of Mississippi, The Shaven
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_type1 = State
subdivision_type2 = County
subdivision_name2 = DeSoto
leader_name = Greg Davis (R)
established_title = City
April 15, 1980
area_total_sq_mi = 34.0
area_total_km2 = 88.0
area_land_sq_mi = 33.8
area_land_km2 = 87.5
area_water_sq_mi = 0.2
area_water_km2 = 0.6
population_as_of = U.S. Census
population_total = 38840
population_density_km2 = 331.2
population_density_sq_mi = 857.9
timezone = CST
utc_offset = -6
timezone_DST = CDT
utc_offset_DST = -5
latd = 34 |latm = 58 |lats = 0 |latNS = N
longd = 89 |longm = 11 |longs = 14 |longEW = W
elevation_m = 94
elevation_ft = 308
website = http://www.southaven.org/
postal_code = 38671-38672
area_code = 662
blank_name = FIPS code
blank_info = 28-69280
blank1_name = GNIS feature ID
blank1_info = 0690592
footnotes = Southaven, a city in DeSoto County,
Mississippi. Southaven is a suburb of Memphis, Tennessee. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 28,977. The 2007 census estimate reflected a population of 42,567, making Southaven the fifth (possibly fourth) largest city in Mississippi. Southaven is traversed from north to south by the Interstate 55freeway, most of which has recently been widened to 10 lanes. It is home to the DeSoto Civic Center, a large venue for sporting and concert events and Baptist Memorial Hospital - Desoto(one of Mississippi's largest hospitals).
Southaven hosts the
minor league hockeyteam, the Mississippi RiverKings.
Before Southaven incorporated in 1978. Whitehaven was a neighboring, unincorporated suburb of Memphis before being annexed by the central city. By the time of Southaven's incorporation the name was shortened to its current form. Southaven is one of the fastest growing cities in the southeast United States.Fact|date=November 2007 In just 20 years Southaven doubled its land area while its population tripled. Like the rest of Desoto County, Southaven's growth has been attributed mostly to the exodus of middle-class flight from Memphis. The Mississippi Main Street program has included Southaven as one of its participant cities. Southaven is also home to one of the busiest street in the Mid South, Goodman Rd. Goodman Rd. also known as Mississippi Highway 302, is traveled by thousands of cars daily.
Annual precipitation is 50 inches which is well distributed throughout the year. March is wettest month; October is driest. Less than two inches of snow falls each year. The average temperature is 42F in January and 91F in July.
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Horn Lake, Mississippi
Households and families
As of the
censusGR|2 of 2000, there were 28,977 people, 11,007 households, and 8,134 families residing in the city. The population densitywas 857.9 people per square mile (331.2/km²). There were 11,462 housing units at an average density of 339.3/sq mi (131.0/km²).
There were 11,007 households out of which 36.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 12.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.1% were non-families. 21.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.62 and the average family size was 3.04.
The racial makeup of the city was 65.08% White, 25.02% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.74% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.13% from other races, and 0.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.26% of the population.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 32.5% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $46,691, and the median income for a family was $52,333. Males had a median income of $36,671 versus $26,557 for females. The
per capita incomefor the city was $20,759. About 5.3% of families and 6.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.2% of those under age 18 and 6.8% of those age 65 or over.
Colleges and universities
* University of Mississippi - Desoto
Northwest Mississippi Community College
Public secondary schools
The City of Southaven is served by the
DeSoto County School District.
Southaven High School
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/dcctc/ DeSoto County Career and Technology Center]
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/sms/ Southaven Middle School]
* [http://www.desotocountyschools.org/dch/ DeSoto Central High School]
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/dcms/ DeSoto Central Middle School]
Public elementary schools
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/ges/ Greenbrook Elementary]
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/ses/ Southaven Elementary School]
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/sullivan/ Hope Sullivan Elementary]
* [http://www.desoto.k12.ms.us/dces/ DeSoto Central Elementary]
Southern Baptist Educational Center(SBEC)
Church of God at Southaven Christian Academy(COGSCA)
* [http://www.desototimes.com/ Desoto Times Today]
Local area attractions
DeSoto Civic Center
Tunica Casino Resort
Memphis Motorsports Park
Southaven Towne Center
Snowden Grove Baseball Park
Snowden Grove Amphitheatre
* Southaven was the boyhood home of noted
novelist John Grisham, who also practiced law there for almost a decade.
* While its name would indicate otherwise, the city of Southaven is actually in the northernmost corner of Mississippi. The name derives from the fact that Southaven is located south of Memphis and known as South Memphis extended.
* Southaven is the boyhood home of singer and songwriter
* [http://www.southaven.org/ City of Southaven]
* [http://www.goDeSoto.com/ "Go DeSoto"] , Community website covering Southaven Mississippi
* [http://www.southavenchamber.com/ Southaven Chamber of Commerce]
* [http://www.wikitravel.org/en/Southaven/ Southaven travel guide from Wikitravel]
* [http://www.baptistonline.org/facilities/desoto/ Baptist Memorial Hospital - DeSoto]
Centre = Southaven
North = Whitehaven TN (Memphis)
Northeast = Memphis TN
East = Olive Branch
Southeast = Pleasant Hill
South = Nesbit (Hernando), Hernando
Southwest = Horn Lake
West = Walls
Northwest = Memphis TN
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.