- Montreal and Southern Counties Railway
Montreal & Southern Counties Railway Company
A M&SC streetcar arriving in Saint-Lambert
Info Locale Montreal, South Shore, Granby Transit type Interurban streetcar Number of lines 2 Number of stations 35 Headquarters Tramways Building, Montreal, Quebec Operation Began operation October 30, 1909 Ended operation October 13, 1956 Operator(s) Canadian National Railway System map
The M&SCRC was created as a result of a law passed by the Canadian Parliament on June 29, 1897. The service was inaugurated between Montreal and Saint-Lambert via the Victoria Bridge on October 30, 1909. The service was extended to Longueuil in 1910, toward Mackayville in 1912 and to Chambly, Richelieu and Marieville in 1913, Saint-Césaire in 1914, Saint-Paul-d'Abbotsford, Quebec in 1915, and finally Granby in 1916.
Absorbed by the Grand Trunk Railway, the M&SCRC became the property of CN in 1923.
The Montreal terminal was situated at the southwest corner of McGill Street and Rue Marguerite-d'Youville. The building that served as the station is still standing today.
The M&SCRC was managed under two divisions. The interurban division managed the traffic on the main line between Montreal and Granby, whereas the suburban division managed the branch between Saint-Lambert and Montreal South (Longueuil).
Service declined starting in 1951, when CN replaced the electric tramways with diesel trains between Marieville and Granby. In 1955, CN decided to remove the streetcar rails on the Victoria Bridge the following year. The streetcar made its final voyage on October 13, 1956.
- Montreal South
- Greenfield Park
- Sunlight City
- Springfield Park
- Castle Gardens
- East Greenfield
- Highland Gardens
- Montreal River Road
- De Salaberry Peak
- Fort Chambly
- Ruisseau Barré
- Jackman Road
- D'Arcy Corners
- Abbotsford Road
- Parish Line
- Mawcock & Milton
- West Granby
- Cowie Street
- Clegg, Anthony; Omer Lavallée (1966). Catenary through the Counties: The story of Montreal & Southern Counties Railway. St. Hilaire, Quebec: The Classic Era in cooperation with Canadian Railroad Historical Association. pp. 64 p. illus. (part col.), maps (part col.) 23 x 29 cm. OCLC 25171. LCCN 70-413781.
- Grumley, J.R. Thomas, Montreal & Southern Counties Railway Co., Ottawa, Bytown Railway Society, 2004, 67 pages. ISBN 0-921871-07-4, ISBN 978-0-921871-07-1 OCLC 56011524
- East Greenfield: Montreal and Southern Counties Railway
- Trainweb.com : Montreal and Southern Counties
- Montreal Area Historical Rail Map (shows Montreal and Southern Counties Railway)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.