- Karate (band)
Infobox Musical artist
Name = Karate
Background = group_or_band
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
Years_active = 1993–2005
URL = [http://www.southern.com/southern/band/KARAT www.southern.com]
Past_members = Geoff Farina
Eamonn Vitt Gavin McCarthy Jeff Goddard
Karate was an American
jazzy indie band. The band was formed in Boston, Massachusettsin 1993 by Geoff Farina, Eamonn Vittand Gavin McCarthy. In 1995, Jeff Goddardjoined the band as bass player, and Vitt moved to second guitar. Vitt departed Karate to pursue a medical career in 1997.
Farina developed hearing problems due to twelve years of performance with Karate and was forced to disband the group in July 2005. Their final show was played in
Rome, Italy, on July 10, 2005. Their music was primarily released on Southern Records.
In 2007, the former band members decided to release a live album '595'. Often, Karate was sent live material from their own performances (often from sound technicians). This happened also after their performance on May 5th at Stuk, Leuven, Belgium. Karate was so astonished by the quality of the recording they decided to release this 'posthumous' live album.
* "Karate" LP/CD (1996,
In Place Of Real Insight" LP/CD (1997, Southern Records 18543)
The Bed is in the Ocean" LP/CD (1998, Southern Records 18554)
* "Unsolved" CD/2xLP (October 2000/March 2001, Southern Records 18584)
Some Boots" LP/CD (October 2002, Southern Records 18599)
* "Pockets" CD/LP (August 2004, Southern Records 28114)
* "595" CD/2xLP (October 2007, Southern Records)
EPs and 7-inch records
Death Kit/Nerve" 7"single (1994, The Self Starter FoundationPSP1)
Karate/The Lune" split 7" with The Lune(1995, Lonesone Pine RecordsLPR1)
**song - "The Schwinn"
The Crownhate Ruin/Karate" split 7" with The Crownhate Ruin(1995, Art Monk ConstructionART11)
**song - "Cherry Coke"
* "" (1998, Southern Records 18553)
Cancel/Sing" EP CD (2002, Southern Records 18594)
Concerto al Barchessone Vecchio" EP (2003, Fooltribe [http://www.fooltribe.com] FT02)
In the Fishtank 12" EP (February 2005, Konkurrent Records- Netherlands)
*Apology - Jeff Goddard
*Jones Very - Jeff Goddard
The Lune- Jeff Goddard
The Secret Stars
* [http://www.southern.com/southern/band/KARAT Karate] at the
* [http://www.myspace.com/karateband Karate] at
* [http://www.geofffarina.com/ Geoff Farina] 's official website
* [http://www.gavinmcarthy.com/ Gavin McCarthy] 's official website
* [http://www.timmcmahan.com/karate.htm Lazy-i Karate interview] from October 2002
* [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4138925] Interview with Geoff Farina from Talk of the Nation, November 2, 2004.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.