aero Introduced March 17, 2002 TLD type Sponsored top-level domain Status Active Registry SITA INC B.V. (registry agreement ends in December, 2005 and new registry operator is being sought) Sponsor SITA SC; a Dot Aero Council was formed to take input from community; various industry associations have partner status Intended use Airlines, airports, and other parts of the air-travel industry Actual use Players in this industry seem to be using it, further usage just like .com, .info and other TLDs Registration restrictions Credentials of applicants are checked before registration is permitted, but then any domain can be registered Structure Some categories of users can register at the second level and others at the third level within appropriate second level names; some industry codes such as those of airports and airlines were automatically linked to appropriate sites even if unregistered Documents ICANN registry agreement Dispute policies UDRP, Charter Eligibility Dispute Resolution Procedure (CEDRP) Website information.aero
.aero (derived from aeronautics) is a generic top-level domain (gTLD) used in the Domain Name System of the Internet. It is the first sponsored top-level domain based on a single industrial theme. The aero domain is reserved for companies, organizations, associations, government agencies, and individuals in aviation-related fields. It was created in 2002 and is operated by SITA. SITA created and operates the Dot Aero Council.
Two-letter codes under .aero are reserved for airlines according to the IATA Airline Designators. While three-letter codes were initially reserved for airports (IATA airport code), they were released for registration by the larger aviation and aerospace community on December 1, 2008.
The aero top-level domain was initially approved in 2001 for a 5-year term expiring December 17, 2006 as part of a proof-of-concept of new top-level domains. The agreement was extended in October 2006 for a six month term until June 17, 2007, and continued to be renewed on a June–December six-month cycle through June 17, 2009. In 2009, SITA and ICANN completed a new 10-year sponsorship agreement for the operation of aero.
- ^ http://information.aero/news/2008-11-04-08
- ^ http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/aero/sponsorship-amendment2-17may07.pdf
- ^ http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/aero/sponsorship-amendment6-08dec08.htm.pdf
- ^ "New .aero sponsorship agreement with ICANN". SITA. http://www.information.aero/news/2009-07-01-06. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- IANA .aero WHOIS info
- Registry Operator website
- List of .aero accredited registrars
- Dot Aero Council
- SITA's proposal for renewal of its agreement with ICANN for .aero
- Public comments on the .aero renewal proposal
- Meet the .aero domain name registrars
- NamesBeyond .aero accredited registrar
- Secura .aero accredited registrar
Generic top-level domains Current General Sponsored Infrastructure Deleted/retired Reserved Pseudo Proposed Locations Language and
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.