Nonoxynols Identifiers CAS number PubChem ChemSpider ChEMBL Jmol-3D images Image 1 Properties Molecular formula C19H32O3 Molar mass 308.45558 Hazards LD50 4 g/kg (what is: /?)
Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Nonoxynols or nonylphenol ethoxylates are mixtures of nonionic surfactants used as detergents, emulsifiers, wetting agents, defoaming agents, etc. nonoxynol-9, the compound with approximately 9 repeating ethoxy groups, is a spermatocide, formulated primarily as a component of vaginal foams and creams. Arkopal-N60, with on average 6 ethylene glycol units is a related used surfactant.
Concerns about the environmental impact of these compounds has increased since the 1990s. These surfactants have a mild to medium estrogenic function. Consequently, this class of detergents has been effectively restricted for commercial "down-the-drain" applications in Europe, and these compounds are not found in laundry detergents in the USA.
A 2011 investigation found residual levels of nonylphenol ethoxylates in samples of clothing from 14 brands sold in the U.S. (where this product is banned), including Adidas, Uniqlo, Calvin Klein, H&M, Abercrombie & Fitch, Lacoste, Converse and Ralph Lauren.  
- ^ Comparison of protein expression in plasma from nonylphenol and bisphenol A-exposed Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) and turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) by use of SELDI-TOF. Larsen Bodil K; Bjornstad Anne; Sundt Rolf C; Taban Ingrid C; Pampanin Daniela M; Andersen Odd Ketil International Research Institute of Stavanger (IRIS) AS, Mekjarvik 12, N-4070 Randaberg, Norway Aquatic toxicology (Amsterdam, Netherlands) (2006), 78 Suppl 1 S25-33.
- ^ . [NOTE: this referenced article  does not state that these compounds are not found in US laundry detergents, only that certain companies have removed them from their products]"Going green", cover story in chemical and Engineering Letters, vol. 85, No. 5, January 2007
- ^ http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/08/big-brand-clothing-found-laced-with-toxic-chemicals.php
- ^ http://www.greenpeace.org/africa/en/Press-Centre-Hub/Publications/Dirty-Laundry-2-Hung-Out-to-Dry/
- Brief technical specification of ethoxylated nonylphenol (neonol)
- J.K.G. Dondt, G. Gomppner, D. Richter (Eds) Soft matter: complex materials on mesoscopic scales - Schriften des Forschungszentrum Jülich, Vol. 10, 2002.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.