- Mycobacterium lepraemurium
Mycobacterium lepraemurium Scientific classification Kingdom: Bacteria Phylum: Actinobacteria Order: Actinomycetales Suborder: Corynebacterineae Family: Mycobacteriaceae Genus: Mycobacterium Species: M. lepraemurium Binomial name Mycobacterium lepraemurium
Marchoux and Sorel 1912
Mycobacterium lepraemurium is a causative agent of feline leprosy. It causes granulomatous lesions, characteristic of the Mycobacterium genus.
Gram-positive, nonmotile and strongly acid-fast rods (3-5 µm long). Slightly rounded ends.
- Rough nonchromogenic colonies.
- Growth on inspissated 1% egg yolk medium at 30°C - 37°C within 4–5 weeks (using large inocula, confined to a concentrated area of the medium, egg white is inhibitory).
- Cause of endemic disease of rats in various parts of the world, as well as feline leprosy.
- feline leprosy is transmitted by bites from rats and other cats.
- Disease occurs mainly in the skin and lymph nodes, causing induration, alopecia and eventual ulceration.
- Nodular lesions, involving subcutaneous tissues, may be solitary or multiple and usually confined to the head region or the limbs. Nodules are fleshy and freely movable.
- Surgical excision of the lesions is the preferred treatment.
- Only the densely and uniformly stained forms appear to be infectious for animals, in contrast to the degenerate unevenly stained forms.
None specified due to difficulties in cultivation.
- ^ Marchoux,F., E. Sorel. 1912. Recherches sur la lèpre. Annales de l'Institut Pasteur (Paris), 26, 675-700.
- ^ Hughes MS, James G, Taylor MJ, et al. (August 2004). "PCR studies of feline leprosy cases". J. Feline Med. Surg. 6 (4): 235–43. doi:10.1016/j.jfms.2003.09.003. PMID 15265479. http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1098612X03000949.
Runyon IVM. neoaurum groupF/T groupsM. fortuitum groupM. vaccae groupM. smegmatis groupM. chelonae groupM. elephantis group
This Mycobacterium article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. This veterinary medicine–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.