- Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company
company_name = William Wrigley Jr. Company
company_type = Public (NYSE: [http://www.nyse.com/about/listed/lcddata.html?ticker=WWY WWY] )
Chicago, Illinois, USA in 1891
location = 410
North Michigan Avenue Chicago, Illinois, USA
William Wrigley, Jr. II, Chairman
William Perez, CEO
Juicy Fruit, Wrigley's Spearmint, Doublemint, more...
revenue = profit$5.389 billion USD (2007)
net_income = profit$6.32 million USD (2007)
num_employees = 1,640| homepage = [http://www.wrigley.com/ wrigley.com]
The William Wrigley Jr. Company (NYSE|WWY) was founded on April 1, 1891 originally selling products such as
soapand baking powder. In 1892, William Wrigley, Jr., the company's founder, began offering chewing gumwith each can of baking powder. The chewing gum eventually became more popular than the baking powder itself and Wrigley's reoriented the company to produce the popular chewing gum.
The company currently sells its products in more than 180 countries and maintains 14 factories in various countries, including the
United States, Serbia, Mexico, Australia, the United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, New Zealand, the Philippines, France, Kenya, Taiwan, China, India, Poland, Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Russia.
In 2004, Wrigley purchased the
Life Saversand Altoidsbusinesses from Kraft Foodsfor US$1.48 billion. On January 23, 2007, Wrigley signed a purchase agreement to acquire an 80 percent initial interest in A. Korkunovfor $300 million with the remaining 20 percent to be acquired over time. On April 28, 2008, it was announced that Berkshire Hathawayand Mars, Incorporatedwould acquire Wrigley for approximately $23 billion. [cite web|url=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120935192240148985.html?mod=hps_us_whats_news|title="Mars, Buffett Team Up in Wrigley Bid"|publisher=Wall Street Journal|date=2008-04-27|accessdate=2008-04-27]
The corporate headquarters, the
Wrigley Buildingis a well-known landmark on the Magnificent Milein Chicago, Illinois, United States.
October 23, 2006, William D. Perezsucceeded Bill Wrigley Jr. as CEO. He is the first person outside the Wrigley family to head the 114-year-old company. Bill Wrigley Jr. retained the post of executive chairman.
William Wrigley Jr.(1861–1932)
Philip K. Wrigley(1894–1977)
William Wrigley III(1933–1999)
William Wrigley, Jr. II(1964- )
*2006 onwards -
Wrigley has produced corporate leaders such as Ralph Scozzafava, who served as Vice President - Worldwide Commercial Operations from 2001-2007, and went on to serve on the board of directors as Vice Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Designate for Furniture Brands International. [cite web|url=http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/furniture-brands-international-names-ralph/story.aspx?guid=%7B421502B2-E7A2-491B-B922-555C9DC5940B%7D|title="Furniture Brands International Names Ralph Scozzafava as Chief Executive Officer"|publisher=Market Watch|date=2008-01-02|accessdate=2008-03-31] Ash ElDifrawi, Wrigley's former Managing Director of the Global Enjoyment Platform for several years, continued his career with
They also sponser UK soap
Recent changes in gum
In 2003, Wrigley replaced part of the sugar content in most of their gum brands with
aspartame, the overall reason is unclear and the change remains controversial with consumers who dislike the aftertasteof aspartame.
In 2004, after years of having a pack of Wrigley's gum cost 25 cents, the company changed the price to 30 cents. However, in Canada, the pricing changed to 45 cents.
The Wrigley Company Limited
Amurol Confections Company
Northwestern Flavors, LLC
*This is the first company to introduce
Barcodeon their products.Fact|date=September 2008
* Spearmint (1893)
* Big Red (1975)
* Extra (1984)
* Orbit (reintroduced 2001)
** Orbit White
* Eclipse (2001)
* 5 (2007)
Gum (made by The Wrigley Company Ltd., Estover, Plymouth, UK)
* Active8 (discontinued)
* Big Red (discontinued in 1998)
* Ice White - Later re-branded as Orbit Ice White
** Orbit Professional
** Orbit Complete
* P.K (discontinued)
* [http://www.wrigley.com Official site]
* [http://www.candystand.com/index.do Wrigley Candystand]
* [http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=WWY&script=410&layout=0&item_id=952887 Wrigley's press release]
* [http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/11/11648.html Yahoo! — Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company Company Profile]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.