British degree abbreviations

British degree abbreviations

Degree abbreviations are used as an alternative way to specify an academic degree instead of spelling out the title in full, such as in reference books like "Who's Who" and on business cards. Many degrees have more than one abbreviation.


Note that usage in some Scottish universities, particularly the ancient universities, differs from that in England and Wales in that MAs are given out in place of BAs as first degrees, where the course of study is four years rather than the three years typical in England.

The usage in the two ancient English universities of Oxford and Cambridge also differs slightly from that in other UK universities - the MA degree is not a substantive qualification, but reflects the ancient practice of these universities of raising BAs to MAs (and thus full membership of the University) a few years after graduating. Conversely, some bachelor's degrees in the higher faculties (i.e. those other than arts) at those universities are postgraduate qualifications (e.g. the BCL and BMus at Oxford). Many have been changed to the corresponding masters degree (e.g. BSc is now MSc), but only within the last generation. The BD remains a higher degree at a some older universities (e.g. Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews and Durham) but is an undergraduate degree at most (e.g. London, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow). Oxford and Cambridge grant BAs after three years to students on undergraduate courses lasting longer than this (the undergraduate masters degrees and the MB, ChB in medicine), though not in Modern Languages, which is typically four years in length at any university, or in the Oxford degree of "Literae Humaniores", also four years long (and at Oxford Modern Languages combined with "Literae Humaniores", known technically in this case as Classics, is five years).

Undergraduate degrees may be awarded "with Honours" or may be "Ordinary" or "Pass" degrees. The meaning of non-Honours degrees changed in the course of the twentieth century, and varies somewhat between England and Wales on the one hand and Scotland and Northern Ireland on the other, and also between institutions. Honours degrees are usually awarded with first, upper-second, lower-second or third class honours.

Usage of titles of masters degrees (in particular the undergraduate masters degrees) is in continuing flux, not least because of discussions of harmonisation of qualifications within the European Union as part of the Bologna process.

There is an international (but not universal) custom that certain degrees will be designated '.... of Philosophy'. Examples are MPhil (Master of Philosophy) and PhD or DPhil (Doctor of Philosophy). Most recipients of such degrees are not 'philosophers'; they can be students of any subject. The origins lie in the ancient practice of regarding all areas of study as elements of 'philosophy'. This is confusing to people looking at university degrees from the 'outside'.

Thus holders of an MPhil degree may have earned it in any discipline.

Most universities, world wide, award doctorates by one of three routes. 'Normal' doctorates are awarded after research and the submission of a thesis. British universities award 'normal' doctorates in the form of PhD or DPhil in all subjects. Higher doctorates are awarded on the basis of a substantial body of published academic work. British universities award these in the form of DLitt (literature), LLD (law), DMus (music), DSc (science), DEng (engineering), DD (theology) etc. Honorary doctorates are awarded to persons of distinction (such as statesmen or philanthropists) or academics who have made a notable contribution to their discipline, through research and publication, and the higher doctorate designations are used. However, some newer universities (e.g. Essex, Stirling, and the Open University) do not do this and instead award DUniv (doctor of the university) irrespective of the field in which the honorary graduate is being recognised.

Bachelor's degrees

In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, almost all bachelor's degrees are awarded as honours degrees, sometimes indicated by '(Hons)' after the degree abbreviation without a space, for example 'BA(Hons)'.

At the Ancient universities of Scotland (St Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen) a BSc(Hons) indicates a four year course, being the equivalent of the Scottish MA for science degrees. A Scottish BSc without honours indicates a three year course with less specialisation (a "General Degree").

Some of the following are postgraduate degrees in a few universities, but generally bachelors are undergraduate degrees.

See also Bachelor's degree.

* BA - Bachelor of Arts
* BAcc - Bachelor of Accounting
* BAE - Bachelor of Arts and Economics
* BArch - Bachelor of Architecture
* BASc/BAS - Bachelor of Applied Science
* BCL - Bachelor of Civil Law
* BCoun - Bachelor of Counseling
* BD - Bachelor of Divinity
* BDes - Bachelor of Design
* BDS or BChD - Bachelor of Dental Surgery
* BEcon - Bachelor of Economics
* BEcon&Fin - Bachelor of Economics and Finance
* BEd or EdB - Bachelor of Education
* BEng or BE - Bachelor of Engineering
* BFA - Bachelor of Fine Art
* BFin - Bachelor of Finance
* BHSc - Bachelor of Health Science
* BLitt or LittB - Bachelor of Literature or Bachelor of Letters
* BMedSc or BMSc - Bachelor of Biomedical science
* BMid - Bachelor of Midwifery
* BMin - Bachelor of Ministry
* BMus or MusB - Bachelor of Music
* BNurs or BN - Bachelor of Nursing
* BPharm - Bachelor of Pharmacy
* BPhil - Bachelor of Philosophy
* BSc(Psych) - Bachelor of Science in Psychology
* BSc - Bachelor of Science
* BSc(Econ) - Bachelor of Science in Economics
* BSc(Eng) - Bachelor of Science in Engineering
* BSocSc - Bachelor of Social Science
* BTchg- Bachelor of Teaching
* BTech - Bachelor of Technology (not to be confused with BTEC)
* BTh, ThB or BTheol - Bachelor of Theology
* LLB - Bachelor of Laws
* MB or BM - Bachelor of Medicine
* BS, ChB, BChir or BCh - Bachelor of Surgery
* BVetMed / BVMS (Bachelors in Veterinary Medicine)/ & Surgery
* VetMB - Bachelor of Veterinary Medicine (Cambridge)

Master's degrees

See also Master's degree.


These, like most bachelors degrees, are honours degrees, indicated by putting '(Hons)' after the degree abbreviation. The majority of undergraduate master's degrees are within science and engineering subjects. The undergraduate MAs of the ancient universities of Scotland are also honours degrees and may also add '(Hons)'. MEng used to be offered by some universities as a postgraduate degree, but is now an undergraduate degree.

* MA - with or without honours in Scotland or from Oxbridge
* MBiochem - Master of Biochemistry
* MBiol - Master of Biology
* MChem - Master of Chemistry
* MDiv - Master of Divinity
* MEcon - Master of Economics
* MEng - Master of Engineering
* MEnvSci - Master of Environmental Science
* MESci - Master of Earth Science
* MGeog - Master of Geography
* MGeol - Master of Geology
* MGeophys - Master of Geophysics
* MInf- Master of Informatics
* MMath - Master of Mathematics
* MMathPhys - Master of Mathematics and Physics
* MMORSE - Master of Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics and Economics
* MNatSc - Master of Natural Science
*MNursSci - Master of Nursing Science
* MOcean - Master of Oceanography
* MPharm - Master of Pharmacy
* MPhys - Master of Physics
* MPlan - Master of Planning
* MSci - Master in Science (Master of Natural Science at Cambridge University)
* MStat - Master of Statistics
* MTheol - Master of Theology


Postgraduate degrees are not honours degrees, and do not add '(Hons)' to indicate this. MA (Hons) is only used for the undergraduate degree of the ancient Scottish universities: as there are no examinations for the MAs in Oxford and Cambridge there are consequently no honours to be awarded. The Oxbridge MA may be differentiated by putting the name of the institution after the degree, thus 'MA (Oxon)' or 'MA (Cantab)'. The MPhil is normally reserved for longer (often two year) research-based masters degrees (as at Oxford), although at Cambridge the MPhil is usually either a nine-month or twelve-month, either taught or research, degree. The MUniv is only ever an honorary degree. Postgraduate masters degrees are considered higher status than undergraduate masters. Postgraduate masters degrees are generally classified as pass, pass with merit and pass with distinction, although not all universities incorporate merit. The percentage bandings for these award levels are usually 50%-59% (pass), 60%-69% (merit) and 70%+ (distinction), although a merit banding of only 65%-69% is used in some universities whilst a single pass banding of 50%-69% is usually used at universities that do not award a merit.
* LLM - Master of Laws
* MA - Master of Arts
* MBA - Master of Business Administration
* MBiolSci - Master of Biological Science
* MClinDent - Master of Clinical Dentistry
* MDrama - Master of Drama
* MeB - Master of Electronic Business (eBusiness)
* MEd - Master of Education
* MFA - Master of Fine Art
* MJur - Master of Jurisprudence (Law) ("Magister Juris" at Oxford)
* MLib - Master of Librarianship
* MLitt - Master of Letters
* MMus or MusM - Master of Music
* MPH - Master of Public Health
* MPhil - Master of Philosophy
* MRes - Master of Research
* MSc - Master of Science
* MSSc/MSocSc - Master of Social Science
* MSt - Master of Studies
* MTh or MTheol - Master of Theology
* MUniv - Master of the University

Doctor's degrees

Due to the flexibility of Latin word order, there are two schools in the abbreviation of doctor's degrees. At Cambridge, D follows the faculty (e.g. PhD, LittD.), while at Oxford the abbreviation D precedes the faculty (e.g. DPhil, DLitt). Most universities in the UK followed Oxford for the higher doctorates but followed international precedent in using PhD for Doctor of Philosophy. Doctor of Medicine (MD or DM) is sometimes a professional doctorate (e.g. in the US and others) and sometimes a research doctorate (e.g. in the UK and some of the Commonwealth). The degree of Doctor of Medicine is considered by some as a higher doctorate. However, the MD/DM research degree often requires a shorter period of study than, for example, a PhD and is considered by some universities to be more on par with an MPhil than a PhD (at least in the UK, e.g. the University of Manchester). Doctor of Philosophy is normally reserved for doctorates awarded on the basis of original research, other junior doctorates have substantial taught elements. Higher doctorates are normally awarded as honorary degrees (honoris causa), but can also be awarded on the basis of published work. DUniv is only ever an honorary degree. The sorting between junior doctorates and higher doctorates below is dependent on the granting institution. Several institutions consider some of the junior doctorates listed below as higher doctorates.

See also Doctorate.

Junior Doctorates

* PhD or DPhil (University of Oxford and a few others) - Doctor of Philosophy
* DBA - Doctor of Business Administration
* DClinPsych - Doctor of Clinical Psychology
* EdD - Doctor of Education
* EdPsychD - Doctor of Educational Psychology
* EngD - Doctor of Engineering
* HScD/DHSci - Doctor of Health Science
* MD or DM - Doctor of Medicine
* DMin - Doctor of Ministry
* DNursSci - Doctor of Nursing Science
* DProf - Doctor of Professional Studies
* SocSciD - Doctor of Social Science
* ThD - Doctor of Theology
* DPT - Doctor of Practical Theology

Higher Doctorates

The order of seniority for Higher doctorates varies from institution to institution and not all institutions award the same degrees. The following order generally pertains, especially in older universities.

* DD - Doctor of Divinity
* DCL - Doctor of Civil Law "especially at Oxford"
* LLD - Doctor of Laws
* DM or MD - Doctor of Medicine "not to be confused with the American MD"
* DLitt or LittD - Doctor of Letters
* DLit - Doctor of Literature
* DSc or ScD - Doctor of Science
* DMus or MusD - Doctor of Music
* DDS - Doctor of Dental Surgery
* DUniv - Doctor of the University

See also

* Foundation degree
* List of British Universities
* Degrees of the University of Oxford
* British undergraduate degree classification

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Игры ⚽ Нужен реферат?

Look at other dictionaries:

  • British undergraduate degree classification — The British undergraduate degree classification system is a grading scheme for undergraduate degrees (bachelor s degrees and integrated master s degrees) in the United Kingdom. The system has been applied (sometimes with significant variations)… …   Wikipedia

  • Bachelor's degree — A bachelor s degree is usually an undergraduate academic degree awarded for a course or major that generally lasts for three, four, or in some cases and countries, five or six years. It may also be the name of a postgraduate degree, such as a… …   Wikipedia

  • Master's degree — A master s is an academic degree granted to individuals who have undergone study demonstrating a mastery or high order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice.[1] Within the area studied, graduates are posited to… …   Wikipedia

  • Foundation degree — The Foundation Degree is a vocational qualification introduced by the government of the United Kingdom in September 2001, which is available in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It is similar in level to the associate s degree, and in the… …   Wikipedia

  • Abbreviations — An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word, compound, or phrase, made by leaving out some of the letters or by using only the first letter of each word. For example, g is an abbreviation for gram in an expression of weight such as 25g , and… …   Useful english dictionary

  • abbreviations — An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word, compound, or phrase, made by leaving out some of the letters or by using only the first letter of each word. For example, g is an abbreviation for gram in an expression of weight such as 25g , and… …   Useful english dictionary

  • Academic degree — An academic degree is a position and title within a college or university that is usually awarded in recognition of the recipient having either satisfactorily completed a prescribed course of study or having conducted a scholarly endeavour deemed …   Wikipedia

  • American and British English differences — For the Wikipedia editing policy on use of regional variants in Wikipedia, see Wikipedia:Manual of style#National varieties of English. This is one of a series of articles about the differences between British English and American English, which …   Wikipedia

  • Engineer's degree — An engineer s degree is a graduate academic degree intermediate in rank between a master s degree and a doctoral degree in the United States. In Europe, it can be an approximately five year degree roughly equivalent to a master s degree. The… …   Wikipedia

  • Crossword abbreviations — Cryptic crosswords often use abbreviations to clue individual letters or short fragments of the overall solution. These include: Any conventional abbreviations found in a standard dictionary, such as: current : AC (for alternating current ); less …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”