- Honkbal Hoofdklasse
Honkbal Hoofdklasse Sport Baseball Founded 1922 No. of teams 8 Country(ies) Netherlands Most recent champion(s) Neptunus (13th title)
The Honkbal Hoofdklasse (Dutch for Major League Baseball) is the highest level of professional baseball in the Netherlands. It is an eight-team league that plays a 42-game schedule and is overseen by the Royal Netherlands Baseball and Softball Federation (KNBSB). Games are played principally on weekends. The season runs from April to September and is followed by the playoffs among the four best teams, which culminates in the Holland Series. Both of the playoff rounds are best-of-five. The league follows a promotion and relegation system with the Honkbal Overgangsklasse so that the composition of the top level may change from year to year. Many of the official team nicknames contain the name of the club's corporate sponsor.
The two best teams participates in the European Cup.
Hoofdklasse Records Rank Team Titles First Last 1st Neptunus 13 1981 2010 2nd Haarlem Nicols 12 1965 1989 3rd Blauw-Wit Amsterdam 9 1923 1946 4th Sparta/Feyenoord 9 1963 1974 5th OVVO Amsterdam 6 1949 1955 6th SC Haarlem 5 1929 1941 7th Schoten Haarlem 5 1947 1961 8th Ajax 4 1924 1948 9th Kinheim 4 1978 2007 10th Quick Amsterdam 3 1922 1935 11th EHS Haarlem 3 1954 1962 12th Amstel Tijgers 3 1979 1986 13th Amsterdam Pirates 3 1987 2008 14th HCAW 2 1996 1998 15th VVGA Amsterdam 1 1933 16th HHC Haarlem 1 1936 17th Seagulls Amsterdam 1 1939 18th EDO Haarlem 1 1958 19th ADO 1 1992 20th Hoofddorp Pioniers 1 1997
- This team competes in the 2010 Honkbal Hoofdklasse.
The 2011 Honkbal Hoofdklasse season began Thursday, April 7.
- Honkbal Rookie League
- Baseball in the Netherlands
- Baseball awards #Netherlands
- Baseball awards #Europe
- de Nederlandse honkbalsite (Dutch)
- KNBSB (Royal Netherlands Baseball and Softball Federation) (Dutch)
- Connor, Joe. Welcome to the Netherlands. ESPN (MLB), January 17, 2006. Retrieved 2009-12-16.
- Remington, Alex. Honkbal! Netherlands Bids to Host MLB in 2014. FanGraphs. September 1, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- 2008 Netherlands Baseball All-Star Team and MVP (fan vote at "de Nederlandse honkbalsite"). November 10, 2008. Mister Baseball: All about Baseball & Softball in Europe
- Rodney Daal Signs Pro Contract with San Diego Padres Organization. August 24, 2010. Mister Baseball: All about Baseball & Softball in Europe
Honkbal Hoofdklasse2009 • 2010 • 2011 Current teams Related baseball leaguesHonkbal Rookie League • Honkbal Overgangsklasse Professional baseball leaguesAmericas Major MinorTriple-A: International League · Pacific Coast League
Independent Triple-A: Mexican League
Double-A: Eastern League · Southern League · Texas League
Class A Advanced: California League · Carolina League · Florida State League
Class A: Midwest League · South Atlantic League
Class A Short-Season: New York – Penn League · Northwest League
Rookie: Appalachian League · Arizona League · Dominican Summer League · Gulf Coast League · Pioneer League · Venezuelan Summer League
Independent Off-seasonAsia ChinaMajor: China Baseball League Japan South KoreaMajor: Korea Professional Baseball
Minor: Korea Baseball Futures League
TaiwanEurope ItalyMajor: Italian Baseball League 1D
Minor: Italian Baseball League 2D
NetherlandsOceania AustraliaMLB Affiliated: Australian Baseball LeagueInter-league and Professional National Team Championships
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.